Need help with advertising

Discussion in 'Financial Cents' started by AxesAreBetter, Jul 4, 2017.

1. AxesAreBetter

AxesAreBetter Monkey+++

Howdy y'all.
    With a considerable amount of effort, I now have a full time physical location for my business, and we think we finally got a website that will work. And hopefully one of those facebook store things. I got a hairs worth of money put aside to pay to advertise.
    Debating if I should put out a small ad in the paper, or advertise on facebook for a couple of weeks, or just what. Looking my options over, and wanting to make sure I had not overlooked anything.

oh, also thinking about raffling off some blades or maybe a longbow for people sharing the info?

Gator 45/70, Meat, 3M-TA3 and 4 others like this.
  2. GOG

GOG Free American Monkey

Sorry, I got nuthin'.
    But I give you my best wishes for your success. (y)

3. UncleMorgan

UncleMorgan I like peeling bananas and (occasionally) people.

Facebook will get you more exposure than newspapers. Consider YouTube, also.

Cruisin Sloth, Ura-Ki, 3M-TA3 and 6 others like this.
  4. Dunerunner

Dunerunner Brewery Monkey Moderator

Congratulations on getting your business off the ground!

FB, and a Web site will work better than the newspaper. How many even look at a newspaper, other than the local rag? People use their phone and the web....

Ura-Ki, AxesAreBetter, GOG and 4 others like this.
  5. AxesAreBetter

AxesAreBetter Monkey+++

The newspaper will allow me to advertise that a new gun shop has moved in, but that is it's biggest advantage. May trade some "review gear" with some bushcraft youtubers...not sure yet.

Ura-Ki, sec_monkey and Motomom34 like this.
  6. Tevin

Tevin Monkey+++

General newspaper advertising is pretty much throwing your money away. When is the last time you bought something after seeing an ad in the paper? Hardly anyone even reads "dead tree edition" newspapers anymore.

If you must do print advertising, go with targeted audiences. For example, if you own a gun shop, buy ads in firearms/hunting/fishing publications or club newsletters. If possible, buy a billboard near a club or range. You can also sponsor a local event related to your business or donate goods/services in exchange for promotion.

Since this is a new location for your business, have a "grand opening" with a ribbon cutting ceremony. Try to get the mayor or other high visibility people to show up. These types of events are admittedly cheesy and a little lame, but they accomplish the goal of attracting media attention.

I'm pretty sure Facebook will not take ads related to weapons, but there are plenty of other digital platforms out there. There are also free venues such as Craigslist and community forums.

Good luck! I hope things go well for you.

7. Airtime

Airtime Monkey+++

Don't know what your budget may be but unless you plan to complete with Midway, Brownells, Cabelas, etc. web based advertising that goes national may not be good value. Google can regionalize their ads but may not accept ads for a gun shop. Most gun stores are local markets so advertising that concentrates just on that local area maybe wiser. Conservative talk radio (Rush, Hannity, Laura Ingram, Mark Levin, Dave Ramsey, etc.) is generally a good medium for reaching the demographic group you probably want to target (older, have money, not anti-gun, not druggies, etc.) and advertising with the local station focuses your dollars on people who are close enough to patronize your business.

If radio seems doable, the next issue is producing the spots. The station can do this. You might be able to get them to do a simple voice over for free. Probably don't do your own, most self produced ads suck. There may be a community college in area that could produce a spot(s) as a class project or some broadcasting students might do it as a side hustle for beer money. You can also find people on-line that will produce radio ad spots quite cheaply and of decent quality.

AT

Last edited: Jul 5, 2017
    Ura-Ki and AxesAreBetter like this.
  8. GOG

GOG Free American Monkey

@AxesAreBetter, I went to the Red Wolf link in your post and it comes up "Awesome Invitations" like party invitations. You may want to check it.

AxesAreBetter likes this.
  9. Merkun

Merkun furious dreamer

AxesAreBetter likes this.
  10. AxesAreBetter

AxesAreBetter Monkey+++

I hate technology. Had to drop the www. so that it would quite sending you to redwolf BLOG insead of redwolfknives . I do not even pretend to understand, but it is things like that that have slowed me down so hard.
    Redwolf

Let's try this again. I greatly appreciate the heads up.

I'm not even aware of a conservative talkshow on local radio...

GOG likes this.
  11. Airtime

Airtime Monkey+++

Radio Stations in Mangham, Louisiana.

There are several with talk format. I'd start here:
    KMLB – New – Talk

After that check out some of the other stations on the radio-locator list. If talk doesn't get you an affordable option with good numbers, look at religious and country stations next. You need to ask for their listener numbers and demographic data for them (average age, income, etc.) You are looking to figure out how many people who may be interested in your products the station will reach, i.e. for how much it will cost per qualified listener.

You might also consider direct mail. It may get to your target market at a lower cost per person. I might try to use a FOIA request to court house for a list of voters who voted in the Republican primaries. Higher percentage of gun owners in that group plus you know they have interest in voting which may have a modest correlation to an interest in what you are selling. A direct mail to those folks might not be too bad. Check on bulk mail rates with Post Office (used to be at 200 pieces price dropped big time, not sure if still the case)

There certainly are websites offering guidance and ideas for small business marketing and advertising. Costs nothing but some time to google for some of those.

Another idea if there is a college not far away, see if they have any entrepreneur outreach programs or if the business department takes on small business marketing consulting gigs for class projects.

Have fun.

Last edited: Jul 5, 2017
    Tully Mars, Ura-Ki, GOG and 1 other person like this.
  12. AxesAreBetter

AxesAreBetter Monkey+++

That's cool.

GOG likes this.
  13. Legion489

Legion489 Rev. 2:19 Banned

Set up at gun shows? Local free-bee papers (Tidbits claims to be nationwide but each local issue only covers one county so you aren't wasting money on nationwide adverts like FB). Any gun shoots, IPSC, trap, skeet, cowboy, indoor ranges, other? Show up, shoot a round, offer discount to club members.

Ura-Ki and GOG like this.
  14. Gator 45/70

Gator 45/70 Monkey+++

Plenty of buy-sale-trade-swap sites on F.B. I've had success moving a few items using the site.

15. Tevin

Tevin Monkey+++

I forgot to add to my last remarks...direct mail marketing is effective and reasonably priced. The right marketing firm can mine databases and send ads only to a demographic likely to react to them (i.e., carry permit holders, registered Republicans, NRA members, anyone who ever entered a raffle at a gun show, etc.).

If you're not sure how to find a direct mail marketing vendor...don't worry. You won't be open very long before the unsolicited offers start showing up. Sometimes they will even send a representative to your store. My buddy owns a bakery and gets hit up several times a week. As always, do your homework and properly vet who you're getting involved with before you sign anything or give them money.

16. Mountainman

Mountainman Großes Mitglied Site Supporter+++

As posted before newspaper would be a waste of money, but the local sales rags still work. What we have here is called The NIckel and other areas call it Dollar Saver, Penny Saver among other names. They have a printed paper that people still pick up for free at stores and gas stations and also have the items on their web site for the techno nerds. Last time I had an ad with them the prices were very reasonable.

Tully Mars, Ura-Ki and Gator 45/70 like this.
  17. Falcon15

Falcon15 Falco Peregrinus

Shoot me a PM, I run endorsements and ads during my weekly show heard worldwide.

GOG, Gator 45/70 and Merkun like this.
  18. ColtCarbine

ColtCarbine Monkey+++ Founding Member

I realize my business model is probably different than yours, being I'm a plumbing contractor as of 18 months ago.

Don't forget to advertise your business all over your vehicle. I'm no accountant but it's my understanding at that point the vehicle becomes 100% business related and not personal. At least that is how it worked out for me.

GOG and BTPost like this.
  19. Witch Doctor 01

Witch Doctor 01 Mojo Maker

Business cards are cheap and some other businesses like Tractor supply will allow yo to advertise in their store on a community board... same with Piggly Wiggly. IGA and other " Down Home' stores....

GOG likes this.
  20. GOG

GOG Free American Monkey

survivalmonkey SSL seal        survivalmonkey.com warrant canary
17282WuJHksJ9798f34razfKbPATqTq9E7