Need info on geothermic cooling

Discussion in 'Off Grid Living' started by birddseedd, Dec 4, 2013.

1. birddseedd

birddseedd Monkey

Sick of paying 100 bucks a month on my ac, would like to do geothermic cooling. I live in michigan. Anyone can point me in the right direction?

2. BTPost

BTPost Stumpy Old Fart,Deadman Walking, Snow Monkey Moderator

Do you own your own Well, or have water running on the place?

3. birddseedd

birddseedd Monkey

I only have about 730 sq. ft. house

i'm not worried about heat. Only spend 400 bucks a year. Can you explain how it does heat. Here its going to be 50ish degrees under ground. how would i get heat out of that? little confused on that part.

I do not have a well or running water, i was going to use a solar powered dc pump to pump water through a horizontal loop.

What do i need to know in order to size the system. Length of pipe, size of the water pump (liters per hour). Can i simply run the water through a radiator and put a fan on it into my duct work?

What kind of pipe?

than you for the help.

Read more at Wanting to do geothermic cooling - Survivalist Forum

4. ghrit

ghrit Bad company Administrator Founding Member

Michigan. Well, if you are going to use ground water for cooling, you need to get WELL below the frost line (and if at all possible into the ground water formation.) IIRC that is five feet in the mitten. You will want six feet minimum. I'd use CPVC pipe. You will want to maintain circulation year round to prevent freezing where you pipe comes thru the frost layer, and possibly heat the circulating fluid if it isn't treated with antifreeze.

Just using ground temperature to cool will not be very effective, you will prefer a heat pump for best performance, you can get one that burns propane, ng, or uses electricity. There is a wealth of information on the web that will fill in the holes in your knowledge base and give guidance on sizing criteria. With the heat pump, you can cool and heat from the same ground source. You will need to know a lot about the ground you are digging into, particularly regarding what it's made of, some soils are more permeable than others, and it is critical to sizing the pipe loops that you know.

Using ground source for heating and cooling is a very good idea, but it is pricy at installation. It will pay back, but not generously.

5. BTPost

BTPost Stumpy Old Fart,Deadman Walking, Snow Monkey Moderator

Plan on a BIG Excavator, for a while, and No Yard, for a while.... Digging is in your future, as you have no Water to use....

Brokor likes this.
  6. birddseedd

birddseedd Monkey

crap dirt, and way too much clay in it.

7. birddseedd

birddseedd Monkey

Heat pumps look like they would cost as much as my ac unit.

8. ghrit

ghrit Bad company Administrator Founding Member

Pretty close for the air units, and a bit more since the flow has to be reversed seasonally. Units that use fluids (read as coolant similar to your car engine coolant) rather than an air heat exchanger are quieter by a lot and cost less to run.

I have to say that you are going to be way ahead with a heat pump like your a/c for that small a place. The upfront costs for earth sourced systems is high.

9. birddseedd

birddseedd Monkey

If the radiator and fan will work, ill just keep a window open to get some dry air. if a heat pump will cost as much or more than my ac it would be pointless for me

10. Gopherman

Gopherman Sometimes I Wish I Could Go Back to Sleep

My buddy said you can dig a six foot deep hole. big and square, spiral sheet metal ducting , he said about a hundred feet, cover it back up, put a fan at on end and hook the other end into your trunk line. Says it'll blow 65* air. Minimal power to run it!
    Sounds Good! I don't know if it'll work, but he is an AC installer.

survivalmonkey SSL seal        survivalmonkey.com warrant canary
17282WuJHksJ9798f34razfKbPATqTq9E7