Need New Tent

Discussion in 'Functional Gear & Equipment' started by Seacowboys, Oct 7, 2012.

Tags:
  1. Seacowboys

Seacowboys Senior Member Founding Member

I am in the market for a new tent for motorcycle camping. During the warmer months, I typically use a Hennesy Hammock but as the weather cools, need recomendations for a new tent. Criteria is small packing, light-weight, easy set-up and storage, as much room as can be had in a small package.

2. Enigmatus

Enigmatus Monkey

I also motorcycle camp. I have a Mountain Hardware Hammerhead 3 for extended stays. On the heavy side but first class. Completely seals and can be used as a four season tent. For short weekends, my tent of choice is the REI Half Dome (3 season). Did a lot of research and believe REI delivers the most tent for the money. Do not scrimp on a tent. You get what you pay for. REI has quality aluminum poles and materials.
    http://www.rei.com/product/794294/rei-half-dome-2-tent

CATO and Seacowboys like this.
  3. Brokor

Brokor Live Free or Cry Moderator Site Supporter+++ Founding Member

If you didn't want a tent, you could try to make your own under blanket or buy one (they aren't cheap) for the hammock. All you would need to do is buy your favorite sleeping bag for the task (most folks use sleeping bags with down) and tie up some spandex line to each end. You could keep the sleeping bag whole or cut it to size --in which case, some tailoring is in order. Attach the under blanket to the bottom of the hammock on the outside, secure to the hammock lines or trees, adjust as needed and that's it.

http://www.ddhammocks.com/products/underblankets

4. toydoc

toydoc Monkey+++

I used a Alpenlite 2XT by Eureka When I went to Alaska on my motorcycle and loved it. It is a 4 season tent but can be used in just about any situation. I got rained on a lot and camped at altitude in 30 degree weather with no problems. It's pretty compact and can be packed on a bike easily. The scouts around here use Timberline 2 tents and they hold up really well.

Seacowboys likes this.
  5. Georgia_Boy

Georgia_Boy Monkey+++

I think Under quilts are the way to go for you M/C campers. Why carry a tent or a hammock when an underquilt will solve the cold bottom problem. You can easily make corner holders for your UQ or extra sleeping bag or poncho liner. Either grommet your UQ corners or temporarily tie a pebble onto each corner and use elastic line and biners to attach under your hammock to the hammock lines. Practice to get the correct length of the lines and mark them so field setup is quicker. I had a few 19-24 degree nights in the past few years an my old (very old!) sleeping bag worked well enough to keep me warm. Another UQ idea I read about but have not tried is to either glue or sew an emergency blanket (one of the newer types that have a fabric side) to a poncho liner........
    Experiment!! An UQ should be able to fit in a small stuff-sack. As posted above, commercial UQs are really EXPENSIVE!
    GB

6. Quigley_Sharps

Quigley_Sharps The Badministrator Administrator Founding Member

7. Seacowboys

The under blanket might be more bulk and problem than it's worth, given that my Hennesay hammock enters and exits through the bottom and that is confusing enough when you gotta pee at 03:00. That is why I have decided to get a tent; takes up less space than an underblanket and Hammock. The hammock is wonderful for three seasons but winter, got to have a tent (I like the privacy too). My present tent is in it's tenth year and the poles and several seams are seeing more wear than I care to repair once more but it was a good size for bike camping, just think I'm ready to try something else.

8. CATO

CATO Monkey+++

9. Seacowboys

I've got a bivy sack but it outlasted my old bones. While I appreciate all the alternative suggestions, I am looking for recommendations for a light-weight four season two person tent...that has a specific definition, purpose, and general application, discounting circuses and such...it is time for me to replace my (TENT) and I intend to replace it with a suitable (Tent), just thought I might get some advice on where the best value is for a (Tent)...did I mention that I am looking for recommendations for fucking tent?LOL

kellory and RightHand like this.
  10. Seacowboys

Does that have aluminum poles or glass?

11. Seacowboys

I like the design but prefer something more bug-proof since I live in the eatemup capitol of the South.

12. CATO

CATO Monkey+++

Ohhhh....sorry, I thought you wanted a 1 person. I have a nice two person....how big is your storage compartment?

Here's what I have: MSR Mo-Room.

13. KAS

KAS Monkey+++

Capt .
    Are you looking for a tent >???? perhaps on you can take on a camping trip on your motorcycle????
    try academy sports

14. Brokor

Brokor Live Free or Cry Moderator Site Supporter+++ Founding Member

15. Quigley_Sharps

Quigley_Sharps The Badministrator Administrator Founding Member

CATO and Seacowboys like this.
  16. Seacowboys

I like that Tent, Quigley; Think I'll try to order one. It's perfect!

17. haltoninc

haltoninc Never Mistake My Silence As A Sign Of Weakness...

I have a Kelty Grand Mesa 2, packs out small and just over 4 pounds, comes with rain fly and is great in case of rain, this is a 3 season tent and should take care of your needs while riding. It was just over a hundred bucks, check campmor.com

18. Enigmatus

Enigmatus Monkey

...Both have aluminum poles. The REI half dome has a larger vestibule (2) which is key for gear storage. Bivy's and one man tents will not protect your gear from rain or heavy dew. Otherwise you have to carry a tarp. Some things you don't want to bring into your tent like wet shoes, folding chairs, coolers etc. Also make sure you buy the footprint (group cloth that matches the tent). The half dome will also accommodate a twin air mattress. A good nights sleep is important when have to do the miles the next day. Don't go too small or too big. A two man is perfect.

1. A Cricket
  2. TinyDreams
  3. Motomom34
  4. DKR
  5. Bishop
  6. ED GEiN
  7. Yard Dart
  8. H.I.S Survival
  9. Bishop
  10. phorisc
  11. Motomom34
  12. Jeff Brackett