Need Opinion on Firearm.

Discussion in 'Firearms' started by Salted Weapon, Jul 4, 2016.

1. ghrit

ghrit Bad company Administrator Founding Member

Other than the problematic use as a defensive weapon, rifles aren't the best weapon for hunting critters like pheasants, ducks, and other food items when SHTF. I happen to be in the camp that thinks shotguns are poor defensive devices, but that sure does and will precipitate an argument. When it comes to shotties, fit is the most important part, they MUST leap to the right spot on your shoulder. If it doesn't fit, get rid of it. (And get a different one that fits you better.) "Acceptance" is worth zilch after reliability is proven, and that applies to all makes and models.

Salted Weapon, Bandit99 and GOG like this.
  2. GOG

GOG Free American Monkey

@Bandit99 In my thinking, the shotgun comes into play for close in defense and game getter. I'll take a shotgun over a handgun for up close and personal any day and I really, really LOVE handguns.

@Salted Weapon It seems like the .17 is an outlier and it's just tying up your gun money. You may want to sell it like AD1 said and buy ammo and magazines as well. But, do you have a semi-auto rifle in a significant caliber on hand? If not, SKS's although overpriced, these days are still pretty affordable and share your CZ's caliber.

AD1 likes this.
  3. Bandit99

Bandit99 Monkey+++ Site Supporter+

Thanks @ghrit . This is going to hurt but yes I think also that it is the right thing to sell it. It doesn't fit and it's a tactical shotgun so shooting game birds is not a very good options with it's 18" barrel...I tried to justify it this way also. Its worth is only defensive and, like you, I am not a fan of shotguns for defense. Should I carry one for defensive, I would still carry an AR type rifle and my sidearm so... So, I will give some more thought to it and maybe I can come up with a justification for it. We'll see.

@GOG "In my thinking, the shotgun comes into play for close in defense and game getter." Yes, indeed. But, a game getter this one ain't. Defensive is its only game but the stock is a bit too long for me. So...so I might have to let it go. It holds 8 rounds. My AR holds 30. It is heavy. My AR is light. It does have a bigger shot radius but my AR can shoot 5-6 rounds the same time it takes to work the slide and shoot two. We'll see. I like having extra guns so maybe its purpose is just sitting by the door or bed or... We'll see.

GOG likes this.
  4. GOG

GOG Free American Monkey

More IS always better when it comes to guns. ;)

I somehow missed that you had the AR.

5. svjoe

svjoe Angry Monkey

I would hock it and buy more 7.62 ammo. Just my .02cents..........

Salted Weapon likes this.
  6. BlueDuck

BlueDuck Monkey+++

Depends on how you like and feel about that particular gun. I have sold lots of guns that I wish I would have kept. Sometimes money was tight and I felt I had to sell one to get that new one. As time went on I regretted selling the old one. Guns are like tools. Some can do it all, but not nearly as well as the right one for a particular situation. All things being the same, more is better. When given a choice, take both.

7. Salted Weapon

Salted Weapon Monkey+++

@GOG : We have several in the 7.62x39 semi-auto both ak and sks. I picked up the CZ, A: Needed B: wanted.
    I have a allot of 7.62x39 more then I think I could use. But that said to answer my questions A: Needed because the semiauto can only be used for legal hunting in rare instances. The Cz 527 I can buy a cheap block and even make it a single load bolt action or use the 5 rounds and it can be good scoped out to 500yards which is pretty unheard of in the sks and AK-47 I have watched many video peole taking these out to 500yards and meanwhile the ak-47 and sks 150yards if one is luck so made the round more accurate closing the gap on the 7.62x39 only being used for defensive rounds. B: Wanted because these are nice high end rifles built well, super high quality mini-mouser bolts, removable mags. This is by far my favorite rifle ever to own, its small light easy to use, clean and disassemble and with the 7.62x39 round it great for as was said man or beast.

@Bandit99 ,
    I had a real nice tactical style Mossberg 500, was short powerful and could carry 5 on the stock and 6 in the chamber with slugs it was a force to be reckoned with. However I have tinitus ( ringing in my ears from years of firearms ). And well in a SHTF these would probably end my hearing for good. Also a shotgun in MHO has limited range and control. I think they are fun but sold mine and now own none.
    I also had a very nice bull barrel setup Ruger 10/22 with customer trigger, stock and probably 600 in it. I also sold, why well because even with the trigger and bull barrel it was not much better then my Marlin 60's are. I ended up asked the question on the 17 because as you can see in the past I have let go some nice investments.

Overview :
    The .17 The reason I got it at all was my father-in-law got one not quite as nice as the one I have no bull barrel, or custom stock,
    or stainless. But watched him take a ground squirrel scoped at 175 yard pretty easy and he said there is no wind drop at all really compared to a 22LR watching that made me think the .17 was a decent round. The Rifle was a fluke to get I posted for sale a 1980's model N-Train I got used it twice then and then boxed it up. Well after 28 years being stored in my garage I decided to sell it with a allot of track etc. I put online to sell and a guy up north saw it and wanted it for a family member and said he had a 4 month old .17 he hadn't used was NIB, would I trade. Well I did and I paid about $125.00 for the train I think back then and the total value of everything on the .17 equals right around 550.00 so for me was a good no cash deal. And is how I ended up with it. All the answers are great good stuff. I do have other firearms, but after getting rids of stuff I liked before I thought hmm do I really need this or it is a want kinda thing.
    Hard to do when you love and enjoy firearms as was said by others its sometimes like getting rid of a kid lol.

Bandit99 and GOG like this.
  8. john316

john316 Monkey+++

never sell a gun

9. GOG

GOG Free American Monkey

@Salted Weapon, I have no idea where I got the idea that you were just beginning to arm up. My apologies for the erroneous assumption.

10. Salted Weapon

Salted Weapon Monkey+++

No problem, now if I could convince the Mrs. I need to arm up more that would be great :)

Yard Dart likes this.
  11. GOG

GOG Free American Monkey

Never enough. ;)

12. Salted Weapon

Salted Weapon Monkey+++

Thanks for all the feedback, did bit more research two things the model I have is very top end for the Savage 17hmr line and
    looking the prices are steadily going up. Meaning the rifle is not losing value its gaining value. I do know with the ammo scare bolt actions in low calibers became popular as people scrambled to find ammo, there was no 22lr so the 17hmr became the new plinking rifle in many cases. And second being I have two varmint rifles the 7.62x39 bolt and the 17 HMR the chance over time or SHTF and I have a failure having the other might be a good idea. The 17 is very reliable compared to some 22LR ammo most 17 is good in a bolt action.
    So the conclusion is in the future it will cost more to replace and makes a good back up. So she is staying in the safe .

13. Salted Weapon

Salted Weapon Monkey+++

Also I miss calculated, I have 1000rds of 17hmr not 500 oops.thats got be a couple hundred in ammo.

14. GOG

GOG Free American Monkey

Not enough. ;)

Yard Dart, Salted Weapon and AD1 like this.
  15. Gator 45/70

Gator 45/70 Monkey+++

Looking for a good compatible IR scope suitable for a.17 Suggestions?

16. AD1

AD1 Monkey+++

IR?

And what Mag?

17. Gator 45/70

Gator 45/70 Monkey+++

Infra red, .17 HMR
    To many coons and possums need a good night time flogging not to mention a few coyotes.
    Something decant out to 100 yds or so.

GOG likes this.
  18. AxesAreBetter

AxesAreBetter Monkey+++

I bought a clamp mount and a little maglite when I had mine, and lit them up (literally) at range before dropping the hammer on them.

Gator 45/70 likes this.
  19. AD1

AD1 Monkey+++

Thats what I thought you ment.

Do you have a NVS-14 already?

If so Aimpoint has several models that have the first few settings that are compatable with NVS-14.

Its has no magnification but with a 2moa dot its very accurate.
    And you have a NVS-14 for other use as well.
    TNVC TM14 Mk3 PVS-14 Weapon Mount
    image.

20. Gator 45/70

Gator 45/70 Monkey+++

No, But this indeed looks very interesting, Thanks for the link.

GOG likes this.
survivalmonkey SSL seal        survivalmonkey.com warrant canary
17282WuJHksJ9798f34razfKbPATqTq9E7