Need recommendations for CD/DVD image burning software

Discussion in 'Technical' started by NVBeav, Jul 14, 2012.

1. NVBeav

NVBeav Monkey+++

I need to make backup copies of music CDs and movies on DVD. My current OS is Windows 7 but I periodically run a Lubuntu VirtualBox machine.

I'm not necessarily looking for "freeware" ('twould be nice though), but am willing to pay a reasonable amount for a vendor's efforts. Suggestions would be appreciated!

2. melbo

melbo Hunter Gatherer Administrator Founding Member

Lubuntu makes it easy but your performance will be pretty poor in a VM setup (my experience)

I'm made backups of both using Nero (they have a light version (Free?)) but haven't even looked at Nero in years. You also need to locate a small program called DVD43 which will strip the DMR copy protection schemes from DVDs. Once you load DVD43, it sits in your tray watching for a DVD to be inserted, once the smilie face changes into horns, you can then back up with Nero. http://www.dvd43.com/

At least this is how I used to rip DVDs.

Music is pretty easy an this is another option (other than Nero), you can use Windows media Center to rip the tracks and then you can burn a new CD from those tracks. This also gives you the addded benefit of having all your music in digital format as well. I change the settings to MP3 and use the highest quality rate (320? don't remember).

I converted 100% of my collection to digital using parts of the above methods around 2006.

Quig's a pirate - he may have more modern advice... [viking]

3. CATO

CATO Monkey+++

If you have a thumbdrive, go to www.portableapps.com and install their package and add to it one of the available burners. It's all I use and it works flawlessly. And....it's free..

If you don't want to go that route, just go there and see what Sourceforge.net apps they use for burning and just install.

infrarecorder_16. InfraRecorder Portable - full-featured CD and DVD burner
    cdrtfePortable_16. cdrtfe Portable - CD, DVD, VCD burner

4. melbo

Let's try this: Quigley_Sharps is a pirate, he may have some advice.

5. NVBeav

NVBeav Monkey+++

Unfortunately, the 64-bit DVD43 works only with "1Click DVD copy", which is kind of expensive (I knew I would somehow regret installing the 64-bit version). I'll dig up an unused thumbdrive later today and see if Portable Apps is going to work.

You'd think this process would be easier than it is. I'd rather not spend more than 25 bucks just to make legitimate backups of my own stuff.

6. CATO

CATO Monkey+++

I have a 64 bit and used DVD 43....no problems at at all.

7. melbo

I don't have anything 32 bit.
    Well, my work laptop is still 32 bit XP but that's another story.

8. NVBeav

NVBeav Monkey+++

What software are you using with it? The dvd43.com link says that only 1ClickCopy is currently compatible, but it sounds like others may support plugin decrypters.

9. CATO

CATO Monkey+++

I use Handbrake. I don't really do anything either....when I put in a DVD, DVD43 starts and does whatever it does, then I can copy using handbrake.

10. Quigley_Sharps

Quigley_Sharps The Badministrator Administrator Founding Member

I use it with any software. He just you to buy his version.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

11. melbo

+1 for handbrake. I use it to convert any DVD to iPhone/iPad compatible video.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

12. BTPost

BTPost Stumpy Old Fart,Deadman Walking, Snow Monkey Moderator

+2 for handbrake... be a fan for years....

13. NVBeav

NVBeav Monkey+++

So far, I like Handbrake. Default settings seem fine and it puts a viewable file to disk so we don't have to carry all my daughter's videos when traveling. The quality seems plenty good for viewing on a laptop screen.

Another useful feature is that the file size for a two-hour movie is "only" 1 GB. I'm sure you can refine that to your own requirements, but I haven't dug into settings to try anything other than default.

survivalmonkey SSL seal        survivalmonkey.com warrant canary
17282WuJHksJ9798f34razfKbPATqTq9E7