Need Small Inverter Recommendations

Discussion in 'Off Grid Living' started by BenP, Mar 18, 2020.

1. BenP

BenP Monkey++

My friends are asking me for inverter recommendations, something that will run a freezer and is not difficult to hook up. I could recommend my Schneider Electric stuff but I think it is out of their budget and a bit of overkill for what they need. Any good reliable machines that won't break the bank?

techsar and sec_monkey like this.
  2. BTPost

BTPost Stumpy Old Fart,Deadman Walking, Snow Monkey Moderator

Need to know what the Starting & Running Amps, or Watts is, on the freezer....

techsar and sec_monkey like this.
  3. oil pan 4

oil pan 4 Monkey+++

Honda.

sec_monkey likes this.
  4. BTPost

Yea if it is just a temp deal buy a Honda 2000i and two 5USG Gas cans and be done with it... If they need a full Emergency Backup the define the loads it needs to support and for how long...

techsar likes this.
  5. techsar

techsar Monkey+++

I concur...don't forget stuff for oil changes also.

6. oil pan 4

oil pan 4 Monkey+++

I use Mobil1 synthetic 10w-40 motorcycle oil in my pressure washer, little gasoline powered air compressor, Honda GX200 powered little DC welder,18.5hp v-twin Kohler powered lawnmower.
    Turns out it's fairly loaded with detergent and antiwear additives.
    Usually change it once a year.

7. Cruisin Sloth

Cruisin Sloth Special & Slow

In my checking most freezers start at 350-425 watt draw on startup , if unloaded startup , run loads are 140W to 91W running , they use 1KW/24hr for the best Ive seen to 1.7 KW/day so now you need to charge those batterys with alot of solar harvest..
    Some info that's pretty close to plan on.

Sloth

techsar and Yard Dart like this.
  8. Airtime

Airtime Monkey+++

For portable and small scale emergency useage, about 8 years ago I bought a small Xantrax inverter, PROwatt SW 600. It can run 540 watts of continuous pure sine wave with surge to 1200 watts to start a freezer or similar. I keep it in one of those flat 20mm 25 round linked ammo cans. Just fits with a little foam around it. I have heavy, I think 4 gauge cables pre-wired to it with the medium size (50 amp capacity) powerpole connector. I have a deep discharge 12v battery with a short cable and the same connector in a battery box. I can plop them both down and have the inverter up and running in 30 seconds. I use it a few times a year and have been very happy with it. A few times I wished I had purchased the SW 1000 model but overall I’m quite happy with the 600.

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B002O5P8BA/?tag=survivalmonke-20

https://www.amazon.com/Anderson-Power-Products-Connector-Housing/dp/B07CHD4JCK/

AT

BenP likes this.
  9. techsar

techsar Monkey+++

Those work well for small jobs. Never had any problems with mine.

BenP likes this.
  10. BTPost

I put one of these 12Vdc Inverters in my Samurai for remote 120Vac Power... I installed a 100Amp Alternator in place of the 40 Amp OEM one, to give me better Charging, and Remote Operation,s Power...It is connected to a Second Group27 Battery that is also mounted in the Back along with a 20Ft Jumper Cable that is also connected to the Second Battery... This makes the Samurai my Remote Utility Rig for doing needed work away from the Home Base. I really like the Inverter...
    Ampeak 750W Power Inverter 12V DC to 110V AC Converter with Dual 3.1A USB Dual AC Outlets Car Inverter

BenP, Cruisin Sloth and techsar like this.
  11. techsar

techsar Monkey+++

Is it just the picture, or are the power leads kinda light for over 60 amps?

Cruisin Sloth likes this.
  12. BTPost

Yea, The wires connect to the Inverter by some good Binding Posts... So I built some new cables to the Battery, using some #4 Stranded wire... Certainly heavy enough for two ft lengths from Inverter to Battery...

Cruisin Sloth and techsar like this.
survivalmonkey SSL seal        survivalmonkey.com warrant canary
17282WuJHksJ9798f34razfKbPATqTq9E7