Need some advice on a build

Discussion in 'Firearms' started by Minuteman, May 29, 2008.

1. Minuteman

Minuteman Chaplain Moderator Founding Member

I am working on a project that has been rattling around in my brain for awhile.
    But I have a question on legality. As to AR's, we all know that you can't put a pistol length upper on a lower with a shoulder stock. This would make it a short barreled rifle and subject to NFA rules, right?

But, what if that's reversed, a normal 20" barreled upper on a lower with a pistol buffer tube? As long as the overall length of the rifle was under the legal limit, what is it? 27 1/4" IIRC. That shouldn't be a factor as the 20" barrel with 5 1/2" flash hider, lower reciever with buffer tube should exceed that. The only thing I can see that I might have to do would be to pin and weld the flash hider so that the overall rifle length would remain over the legal length. Anyone have any thoughts on that, or any references?

What I have in mind is a morph between a 1919A4 and an AR15. I have a extra heavy barrel, flat top upper that I have replaced the hand guard with a 1919 barrel shroud. I had the barrel threaded and installed a 5 1/2" flash hider with holes that closely resembles the 1919 shroud.
    I have the pistol buffer tube to which I am mounting the back plate with pistol grip from a 1919. I have a crank fire that mounts to that and a linkage that runs to the trigger on the AR lower and attaches to the scew hole where the AR's pistol grip was.

A picatinny rail welded to the bottom of the barrel shroud excepts an adapter that allows the weapon to be mounted onto a MG-34 AA tripod.
    I may put a set of 1919 AA sights on the Barrel shroud, or maybe a holo sight of some type on the flat top.

And of course a high cap mag. Maybe a Beta-mag but I am looking at the new Stanag ones that don't need any lubrication and are supposed to be much more reliable.

Another question. Does anyone have any experience with the Beta mags, the Stanag, or the Russian beta type mag? I am looking at all three and have yet to decide which one to go with.

Also I am debating on what to call this thing. An AR1919? 1919A15? Or maybe just HLFTS (helluva lotta fun to shoot)!

something along these lines, I'm replacing the spade grips with a pistol grip and a crank fire
    Spade%20Grip. 100_1288.JPG

2. Quigley_Sharps

Quigley_Sharps The Badministrator Administrator Founding Member

It should be OK, as long as it meets the min overall length requirements
    AR1919

3. Seacowboys

Seacowboys Senior Member Founding Member

Why don't you get a ZM upper and get rid of the buffer tube all together?

4. Minuteman

The 1919 pistol grip is necessary to mount the crank fire to. If I could mount it to the AR lower it would block the charging handle.
    Your recent builds SC gave me the impetus to start this project. I am accumulating all the parts now. UPS man just came as I was writing this.
    Should be able to put everything together with very little machine work required. Wish I had your workshop. Will have to outsource some of the work.

5. Seacowboys

Seacowboys Senior Member Founding Member

I have often wondered how a mini-gun differs from a gatling-gun, legally speaking. They seem to think a mini-gun is a machine-gun even though it only shoots once every time the barrel rolls around. What if the electric motor was replaced with a hand-crank? What if you took a legal gatling-gun and added an electric motor? Would that be illegal? Would it be the gun that was illegal or electricity?

6. Minuteman

Friggin gun laws are a bunch of crap. Undefined and vaque nonsense to give them an excuse to harass honest citizens.

[BSf]

survivalmonkey SSL seal        survivalmonkey.com warrant canary
17282WuJHksJ9798f34razfKbPATqTq9E7