Need some help answering an email

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by melbo, May 17, 2007.

1. melbo

melbo Hunter Gatherer Administrator Founding Member

This guy runs a blog and asks questions to organizations and then posts the responses. http://alexitalix.blogspot.com/ Let's come up with a realistic answer and why. We can compile a group response and I'll send it back to him.

Here's what I received:

2. Blackjack

Blackjack Monkey+++

This is kinda weird. Of course my initial gut reaction is that he is looking to make fun of the "survival nuts".

And we do a heck of a lot more here than talk about survival in "wilderness settings".

I'm not sure how to proceed here. [dunno]

3. ghrit

ghrit Bad company Administrator Founding Member

I'm suspicious as all hell. Essence of skunk pervades the whole scenario he describes; those folks were totally unconcerned with survival (survivalist, indeed) they were looking for entertainment.

One might, I suppose, refer him to the bookshelf on the board, or actually invite him to read the appropriate sections on preps.

I'd make a fairly heavy wager that his note went to far more boards than this one, it was unfocused.

Ycch.

But I'm naturally inclined toward doubting random happenings are indeed random.

4. Tango3

Tango3 Aimless wanderer

This is a " yuppie dinner party " joke right????any of the fm 's?along the lines of the above "joke" any rap cd can beshattered into some pretty sharp (and reflective shards)???

"Please let me know, I'll purchase a copy andtravel with them at all times": this Is a snide dig at the kooks(us?) Die yuppie scum, you can just eat your subaru tires,...

5. Bear

Bear Monkey+++ Founding Member Iron Monkey

"Deep Survival", "Where there is no doctor", "Where there is no dentist", "98.6 Degrees", "Survival and Self Reliance".... I'll think of some more later....

Hope that helps....

6. melbo

No guys. This is serious. Let's focus here.

Or I'll close the board....

[troll]

7. ghrit

ghrit Bad company Administrator Founding Member

Desert island? How about a book on how to fish? First aid and practical surgery might be good to have. I'm still choking on the frivolity of the question, with the emphasis on entertainment rather than practical value. The way the question was posed seems like what would you do while you waited for certain rescue. I think I might counter his question with something like, "What did you do to prepare for the stranding?" With that bit of info, we might be able to suggest what he should take along to fill in the blanks in his preps.

Movies and albums are out, I'm afraid, they need power to operate, and I can see this guy didn't consider that, or if he did, he didn't make that part of the question.

Why not invite him to this (or start a new) thread, and we can get right after answering his questions more specifically. Seems like he's been here before, or that e-mail makes even less sense.

I may have missed something on that link above, but his letter to you is not listed, nor did I see any answers to previous letters on the site.

In other words, WTF,O?

8. Bear

Bear Monkey+++ Founding Member Iron Monkey

Did I miss something ?.... or did I misread this....

Here's one more... "Desert Survival Skills"...

Islands are alot like deserts.... heat and lack of water can be a real problem... its a good little book...

More later... gotta run..

9. E.L.

E.L. Moderator of Lead Moderator Emeritus Founding Member

Naked in the Wilderness
    SAS Survival Manual
    The Bible (nothing better to keep hope alive and the survival of the spirit)

Any music? How about a CD? Any CD, you could turn it around backwards and use the shiny side as a signal device. It is basically a small round mirror.

Movies? Anything with Les Stroud "Survivorman"

10. Quigley_Sharps

Quigley_Sharps The Badministrator Administrator Founding Member

Survive on a Desert Island (Survival Challenge)
    Claire Llewellyn

The Worst-Case Scenario Survival Handbook: Travel By Joshua Piven, David Borgenicht

SAS Survival Guide: How to Survive Anywhere, on Land or at Sea
    by John Wiseman

George Nicol, Ship construction and calculations. With numerous illustrations and examples; for the use of officers of the Mercantile Marine, ship superintendents, draughtsmen, etc.

Encyclopaedia Britannica
    I gather I'll be there a long time. This will keep me busy for a lifetime.

Oxford English Dictionary
    Since I might be on this desert island for a while, the OED would allow me to a) entertain myself with word derivations b) increase my vocabulary

Playboy so can remember what im missing.......

11. Quigley_Sharps

Quigley_Sharps The Badministrator Administrator Founding Member

going somewhere?[dunno]

12. Blackjack

Blackjack Monkey+++

How 'bout:

Alex,

Although we we're somewhat entertained by your question and even marginally impressed by your creative use of an album, a book, and a videocassette, we have to wonder why you didn't direct your query towards a more entertainment oriented website. The hypothetical question you pose is indeed a very popular one at social gatherings, however, none of us have ever heard it directed in a "survival" manner, as it's always posed to simply reveal a persons entertainment preferences.

Please feel free to stop by our forum and browse our information repository. You'll find a wealth of information concerning self-reliance and preparations for more "everyday" emergencies such as power outages and winter storms as well as some of the more catastrophic and less common events like hurricanes, war, pandemic, and famine. Unfortunately the "stuck on a desert island" scenario just doesn't come up very much.

Sorry we couldn't be of more assistance on your quest.

13. BigO01

BigO01 Monkey+++ Founding Member

How about

Alex please don't fret these types of situations as Jeff will be along soon with a reward challenge and should you win you will have everything you would ever need to survive !

14. DesertDawg

DesertDawg Monkey+++

If you were to be stranded on a desert island, that would probably mean that you would have NOTHING with you, other than what you are wearing and have in your pockets.

EVERYONE, no matter who they are, have at least some "survival" instincts within them. They would know that when they get hungry, they need to find edible foods. When they are thirsty, it's time for some water. When it's cold, they need heat, and when it's hot, they need some cooling shade.

Perhaps the best book to have would be the Bible! While reading it, it might give you FAITH and HOPE! It would also instill the meaning of prayer, and prayer is a VERY worthwhile thing!

How did mankind survive without books/CD's/DVD's? Somehow, we went from being cave dwellers to explorers of space....and even landed on the moon! Oh, how did we survive before the invention of TV or radio?

The old USMC motto of "Improvise, overcome, adapt" comes to mind. The BRAIN is your best survival tool and weapon!

15. Seacowboys

Seacowboys Senior Member Founding Member

Book: Atlas Shrugged
    (something more boring than sitting on a desert island starving)
    Music: Nellie the Elephant, by Nector
    (a little motivational music for the absurd)
    Movie: Being There
    (mostly for the generator and fuel required to run the TV, DVD player and the popcorn machine)
    Now that is survival![own2]

16. melbo

LOL. I forgot a smilie there....
    Was kidding as I didn't really find his email or discussion very 'survival' related at all. Was just about to run a site update.

17. duanet

duanet Monkey+++

I have always liked the ending in the old HG Wells "The Time Machine" where they show a bookcase with 3 books removed and knowing that they were selected as what the filmmaker thought would be most important tools in rebuilding a whole new society, but they don't tell you what they were or why they were selected. We sometimes forget that the most important survival tool is always with us and can always be updated for free, and is the main reason we all read this board. A little hint, it is between your ears and under your hat. I have often heard and listened to the same sort of questions that the e-mail talks about at parties. It isn't a joke and that is the main problem with our present society. The sheeple are not only asleep, they are unaware that they are asleep. They think that the main problem on a "desert island" and in a "surviver" situation, "probably trademarked by some TV network", is going to be bordom while waiting for the coast guard etc. Most will be bored to death! Pun intended.

As always the tools needed will depend on the situation and only then can any attempt to select any "choices" be made. Unfortunatly, we don't know ahead of time what the situation will be nort how the rest of the world will react. Does anyone else see it being foolish in the evacuation of New Orleans to show for hours on national tv that there is a 100 mile parking lot on one side of the interstate and no traffic at all on the other side and even prepared drivers running out of fuel in 10 or so hours. Couldn't anyone use the police resources to close the exits and use the lanes running into New Orleans as a high speed lane out? Use local people and block it and run it for a few hours and then close it if necessary. Nah, that assumes someone earning $150,000 a year in a government job for his political appointment could actually make a rational decision and I am sure that there is a manual somewhere in which it states on page 6** paragraph 2** that the lanes have to be reserved for the emergency vechiles that weren't sent or available.

survivalmonkey SSL seal        survivalmonkey.com warrant canary
17282WuJHksJ9798f34razfKbPATqTq9E7