1. The Topic of the Month for October is "Make this the Perfect Bugout Location". Please join the discussion in the TOTM forum.

Need your expertise.

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Hex, Jan 19, 2014.

1. Hex

Hex Amateur Survivalist

I want you to assist me in finding a good flint and steel for under 10$ CDN *preferably, as my old one just broke. Three years of flinty-goodness. I originally desired to purchase one at Canadian Tire as they have one but I don't know if I can get there any time soon for certain.

Bonus Questions:

1. Something my friend asked me; Waterproof matches vs. Swiss Flint Rod? I said it depends on your situation, but you can answer it too. It's fun to debate. xD

2. If any of you have any knowledge on the Coghlan's Brand-Name, let me know if you have any insight on their Swiss Flint. I have a camping axe by them and it's lasted me quite a while, but I don't want to be too hasty. If it's good I can get a good price on it as I have lots of Canadian Tire money saved up (we shop there often).

3. Is the brand LightMyFire any good? I've heard lots of mixed opinions.

*As in I can fork over slightly more if needed, but seeing as I'm not quite experienced with this yet I think you might be able to help me.
  2. BTPost

BTPost Old Fart Snow Monkey Moderator

Check with @Bear He is the Flint Master here on the Monkey.....
    Witch Doctor 01 and Hex like this.
  3. Hex

Hex Amateur Survivalist

4. Snake_Doctor

Snake_Doctor Call me Snake...

I recently bought a 3 pack of Mil-Spec fires tarters for 9.99 from Majors Surplus. (If I'm breaking any rules by posting a buisiness name I apologize to the mods and members here). They seem stout despite being thinner than I had expexted and come with both ferro and magnesium and strikers. I covered this before I was ejected from ETS for not worshipping.... um noy conforming, but I use a fire steel when it's warm and calm. When it's windy, I'm wet and going hypothermic I don't want to mess with a fire steel and char cloth. I want good waterproof matches and solid state tinder that will catch quickly and burn hot and long to dry the kindling. I don'tcary fatwood and other oddball thinks, I carry a fist full of my tinder cubes because they're small. light, and fuss free.
    Last edited by a moderator: Jan 20, 2014
    Hex likes this.
  1. Legion489
  2. Witch Doctor 01
  3. AD1
  4. Velit_Survival
  5. melbo
  6. Brokor
  7. Bear
  8. EDCraziness
  9. 33percent
  10. larryinalabama