Need your expertise.

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Hex, Jan 19, 2014.

1. Hex

Hex Amateur Survivalist

I want you to assist me in finding a good flint and steel for under 10$ CDN *preferably, as my old one just broke. Three years of flinty-goodness. I originally desired to purchase one at Canadian Tire as they have one but I don't know if I can get there any time soon for certain.

Bonus Questions:

1. Something my friend asked me; Waterproof matches vs. Swiss Flint Rod? I said it depends on your situation, but you can answer it too. It's fun to debate. xD

2. If any of you have any knowledge on the Coghlan's Brand-Name, let me know if you have any insight on their Swiss Flint. I have a camping axe by them and it's lasted me quite a while, but I don't want to be too hasty. If it's good I can get a good price on it as I have lots of Canadian Tire money saved up (we shop there often).

3. Is the brand LightMyFire any good? I've heard lots of mixed opinions.

Regards.

*As in I can fork over slightly more if needed, but seeing as I'm not quite experienced with this yet I think you might be able to help me.

2. BTPost

BTPost Stumpy Old Fart,Deadman Walking, Snow Monkey Moderator

Check with @Bear He is the Flint Master here on the Monkey.....

Witch Doctor 01 and Hex like this.
  3. Hex

Hex Amateur Survivalist

4. Snake_Doctor

Snake_Doctor Call me Snake...

Hi,
    I recently bought a 3 pack of Mil-Spec fires tarters for 9.99 from Majors Surplus. (If I'm breaking any rules by posting a buisiness name I apologize to the mods and members here). They seem stout despite being thinner than I had expexted and come with both ferro and magnesium and strikers. I covered this before I was ejected from ETS for not worshipping.... um noy conforming, but I use a fire steel when it's warm and calm. When it's windy, I'm wet and going hypothermic I don't want to mess with a fire steel and char cloth. I want good waterproof matches and solid state tinder that will catch quickly and burn hot and long to dry the kindling. I don'tcary fatwood and other oddball thinks, I carry a fist full of my tinder cubes because they're small. light, and fuss free.

Last edited by a moderator: Jan 20, 2014
    Hex likes this.
  1. Asia-Off-Grid
  2. Asia-Off-Grid
  3. Asia-Off-Grid
  4. Asia-Off-Grid
  5. Asia-Off-Grid
  6. Motomom34
  7. Legion489
  8. Witch Doctor 01
  9. phorisc
  10. AD1