Neighbors

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by M118LR, Aug 5, 2017.

1. Merkun

Merkun furious dreamer

Actually, early microfilm or microfiche is celluloid based. "Spinning" is completely unrelated to anything.

2. chelloveck

chelloveck Diabolus Causidicus

This is my cardboard cut-out attack dog for keeping neighbours off my turf....

[​IMG]
    No feeding costs, no vet fees, don't have to spend time and effort exercising it....but highly effective...oh did I mention the live M18A1 it uses as a food bowl???

GrayGhost and Yard Dart like this.
  3. BTPost

BTPost Stumpy Old Fart,Deadman Walking, Snow Monkey Moderator

AND, I think you will find that MOST Newspapers and NEWS .ORG's have digitized, most of their Archives, and they are now kept on Rotating Memory...

chelloveck likes this.
  4. chelloveck

chelloveck Diabolus Causidicus

Microfiche is pretty much a dying technology. Not completely dead, but getting there.

5. ghrit

ghrit Bad company Administrator Founding Member

That well enough makes sense. That said, I wonder what format they used when scanning in the fiches. Betcha those disks are not mylar to spin ---

Microfilm files still exist that predate fiche. Another scanning problem, to retain the resolution that may (or may not) be on the film. The preservation of movie films face the same problem, analog images don't always translate to digital too awful well.

And once again, we have drifted from neighbors (and the dog guardians.)

6. Seawolf1090

Seawolf1090 Retired Curmudgeonly IT Monkey Founding Member

When I started with the Florida Department of Education, we had a program of copying all physical records - paper documents, old registry books, microfiches, etc. For all teachers and educators - to our laser disc system. We made two copies, the primary and the backups.
    This took about two years, running during evening shift seven nights a week.
    The earliest record I saw dated from 1913. Pretty sure those teachers were no longer serving.

chelloveck likes this.
  7. Tempstar

Tempstar Monkey+++

So, I'm thinking my neighbors don't use microfiche any longer.....

chelloveck likes this.
  8. Seawolf1090

Seawolf1090 Retired Curmudgeonly IT Monkey Founding Member

Back in my Navy days on my ship, we had fun going through the microfiche for the supply system. Found FSN numbers for ordering motor whaleboats, Harley motorcyles, M-16 rifles, and other assorted goodies. Seniorchief wouldn't let us order anything though. Bummer.

Yard Dart, M118LR and chelloveck like this.
  1. Waydah
  2. DKR
  3. Motomom34
  4. Swedish woman
  5. deMolay
  6. HK_User
  7. DarkLight
  8. Motomom34
  9. Motomom34
  10. GrayGhost
  11. Tully Mars
  12. Motomom34