Neuroplasticity

Discussion in 'Survival of the Fittest' started by chelloveck, Aug 5, 2018.

1. chelloveck

chelloveck Diabolus Causidicus

Whilst reading a book, "The Brain That Changes Itself", by Norman Doidge, MD,( https://www.brainmaster.com/software/pubs/brain/contrib/The Brain That Changes Itself.pdf ) I discovered an account of Barbara Arrowsmith Young, and was fascinated by her life in overcoming a congenital neuroligical impairment, and the remarkable ways in which she changed her life situation....This incredible woman, delivered a TED Talk, which was recorded in the following Youtube Clip. Enjoy.....and be inspired.

and a longer address via GoogleTalks.

Alanaana, SB21, arleigh and 4 others like this.
  2. jefferson

jefferson Monkey

According to my view, nature is always best for us, It is good for us. At the same time, neuroplasticity is good for those who lose their memory and brain control.

chelloveck likes this.
  3. arleigh

arleigh Goophy monkey

I had learning disabilities as a kid and this was helpful in understanding it.
    I learn best by doing, not by listening or reading..
    As the years went by I developed my own methods of retaining information, however lately I've had problems dealing with engineering something I've done many times. I need challenge to make my brain work things out and I incorporate drawing to build the picture, not in my mind.
    As a kid I did a lot of drawing but I never had a picture in my mind, I just let the picture develop on paper and do a lot erasing and redrawing till it made sense.
    As an apprentice mechanic in some cases I had to partially take something apart and reassemble it and do it again and again till I got it right. manuals and books were no help. (with some machinery there was no manuals to work with) I had to learn the why and how of things by proving them again and again.
    I love engineering because it is not a fixed puzzle some one else has assembled, it is making things that don't exist. I also made tools and procedures that did not exist at the time.
    I read but to be honest much of it does not stick.
    I studied for months to pass the Technician class for armature radio morning noon and night and at every break and I just barely passed . My wife studied for about 2 weeks and passed way ahead of the class. the difference was 2 weeks later she knew nothing and I was helping her with all that she had studied, largely because I had been using the radio and practicing with it.

SB21 likes this.
survivalmonkey SSL seal        survivalmonkey.com warrant canary
17282WuJHksJ9798f34razfKbPATqTq9E7