Never owned a firearm

Discussion in 'Firearms' started by michae1, Dec 31, 2011.

1. michae1

michae1 Monkey+

Is the ammo cheaper for a .22, or is it nearly all the same?

2. michae1

michae1 Monkey+

Is a 357 mag smaller or larger than a 38 special? It seems smaller just by number?

Alpha Dog likes this.
  3. Alpha Dog

Alpha Dog survival of the breed

It's really the same cal just different size cases. the 357mag is a hotter load with more stopping power ( This is what my gun guy told me) now we have a lot of guy who reload on here who could give an exact answer. As for the 22Lr ammo it is a lot cheaper

4. michae1

michae1 Monkey+

I see. Is there anything between a 22 and a 38? I have heard of the 357 mag, didn't know it was the same as the 38. Also, I didn't know the 357 had more stopping power.

5. BTPost

BTPost Stumpy Old Fart,Deadman Walking, Snow Monkey Moderator

Welcome Michael, Good advice given so far. The one thing that any good Weapon needs, is to fit your hands, both Right, and Left. Being able to try them out BEFORE you buy, is a very BIG Plus. I would suggest that if your local Range does not have that ability, that you look around for a local Firearms Instructor, that can give you that ability. Also, One on One Instruction, can be a very worthwhile endeavor, for an afternoon at the Range. If you were near ANY of the previous Posters, I would say get with them, at the Range, and learn what they have to teach, while handling as many of the different weapons as possible. You will know when you find YOUR Weapon. It will fit your hand like a well worn glove, and feel as natural, as any tool your ever held. See if there is a competent Monkey near you that could help in this regard. If you were near "Me", we would just spend an afternoon shooting every weapon in my Weapons Locker, and see how it went. Never let a SalesDroid, sell you ANYTHING, of this importance. Do your own due diligence, learn, research, and try out, BEFORE you plunk your Hard earned Cash, down, and if you have a woman in your life, this is a discussion that you will need to have with her as well, as she will also need to be at least conversant with your weapon, and really should be involved as much as you are. ..... YMMV....

Nadja, Idahoser, Cephus and 1 other person like this.
  6. Alpha Dog

There is a 25ACP and a 32ACP Im not impressed with either the rounds are very over priced, and the stopping power is not there they make a better pocket type close contact weapon. Now they do make a 9mm revolver never owned one but the turn off to me is the one's I have seen you have to use these clips they call moon clips they are just little round clips you have to place the bullet in before it will fire in the gun. I have an old 1919 US Army Colt that uses them for a 45ACP and it's kind of a pain loading the clips and plus if you end up in a situation where you have one loose bullet and its life and death you can't fire it in the gun.

7. michae1

michae1 Monkey+

I guess that pretty much answers my question.

8. michae1

michae1 Monkey+

Which one has the most recoil, a 357 or a 38, or are they about the same?

9. Alpha Dog

The 357mag has more recoil but if you get a 357mag you can shoot the 38spl and the 38spl+p. the 38spl+p just give you a little more punch. The after you get use to you weapon you can shoot a few 357mag to get the feel and practice with 38spl. Carry 357mag round for selfdefense and have as much stopping power as one could ever want. I have been a Deputy Sheriff for a long time and the biggest heart break and mistake in my opinion was when we went to semi-auto's and they retired the greatest weapon known to man the 686 smith & Wesson 357mag. I bought mine and still have it today. Anyway as time goes on and the more you shoot the recoil becomes easier to control.

Idahoser, Cephus, STANGF150 and 2 others like this.
  10. michae1

michae1 Monkey+

Ok, thanks a lot.

11. wrc223

wrc223 Monkey+

Having professional Marine small arms instructors teaching recruits hands on after classroom time is a far cry different than buying a semi auto handgun and learning by yourself at the local range.

If he wants to go all in and let the chips fall where they may, makes no nevermind to me. I was offering my opinion on how someone brand new to firearms and is not under the direct supervision of trained professionals would go about getting into the world of shooting safely and, in my opinion, wisely.

I have a couple 10/22's and spend many afternoons plinkin.

Idahoser likes this.
  12. michae1

michae1 Monkey+

This brought something to my mind that I never really knew and still don't. I, years ago, went hunting with my uncles. Since I am left handed, I started to shoot with the shot gun on my left shoulder. It was a 20 guage. I really couldn't hit anything I aimed at. I tried it on my right shoulder also. It felt the same to me where ever I put the gun. I didn't see any improvement on either side in which I shot. My question is how does a person know which hand that they shoot with? I am pretty much left handed in everything I do, but if you are terrible at it either way, how do you know?..It's been a long time since I fired that shot gun, so I am trying to recall something that happened 20 years ago. Michae1

13. BTPost

BTPost Stumpy Old Fart,Deadman Walking, Snow Monkey Moderator

In my long years of firearms usage, and training others, I have found that as you become proficient , with any single weapon, you find that one position becomes dominant. I have always been of the opinion, that whatever feels the most comfortable, and produces the best results, is where you put your training time, HOWEVER.... that is not to say that you ignore the other position, as you just NEVER know when or where you may need that skillset, to be able to shoot from that other position. My wife is Right Handed, and she shoots pistols, right hand dominant. She shoots rifles Left Hand dominant, and always has, since she was a child. No one knows why, even GrandPa could never figure it out. She is Dead Bang accurate, out to 100 Yds, with her Dan Wesson Stainless Pistol Pak in .357, and consistently out shoots me, where I can best her with a Long Gun, without even trying hard. It is ALWAYS, whatever feels MOST comfortable to the shooter, and what produces the best results. Some folks are just equally poor in either position, and that is Ok as well... You do the best you can, and if that doesn't produce the required Protection desired, you Die... if you go against a better shooter. You can count the folks, who got off this Rock, without dying, on One Hand. .... YMMV....

14. ghrit

ghrit Bad company Administrator Founding Member

Which is you dominant eye? Usually (but not always) you would shoot with the gun butt on that side. Another reason why your need some coaching; you'll get more out of half an hour with a trainer than three years on the web. It's worth the mention that shot guns are an entirely different animal than a rifle or handgun. Without belaboring it further, you don't aim shotguns, you point them. I'll leave it for the trainer to explain that, it's an important distinction.

michae1 and BTPost like this.
  15. Tikka

Tikka Monkey+++

If you want to know which is your dominant eye: Determining your Dominant Eye

The wheel gun or revolver is one of the best choices; plus a 357 can drop a deer easily.

Wolfgang2000 likes this.
  16. Minuteman

Minuteman Chaplain Moderator Founding Member

Wow. Post count in this hread sure added up quick. Good job guys. Just a point, my main concern with semi-autos for newbies is the very real likelihood of them leaving a round in the chamber. I have seen this happen many times. A new shooter removes the clip but forgets that there is a live round left in the chamber. That has resulted in a lot of accidental discharges, some with tragic consequences. That is why I always recommend a wheel gun for beginners. A quick visual and you can be certain that it is loaded or unloaded.

Idahoser, BackwoodsmanUSA and michae1 like this.
  17. michae1

michae1 Monkey+

Holy Mackerel, it worked. I must be right eye dominant. Thank you, now does that mean I hold a pistol in my left or right hand for a dominant right eye?

18. michae1

michae1 Monkey+

I'm guessing it would be my right hand if I follow ghrit's instruction for a rifle or shot gun?

19. ghrit

ghrit Bad company Administrator Founding Member

Yup, maybe. You can get away with crossing the dominant eye to dominant hand with handguns. Less easy with long guns. You still need a coach as your next step.

Idahoser likes this.
  20. Motomo

Motomo Monkey+

Let me start by saying I'm not anywhere near as experianced as some of the replys you got so far. But I would like to see if I can help with some of the questions you have. Ill tell you the same thing you heard already, you should not start with a auto. I know Im beating a dead horse here, but it is really easy to forget about the round in the chamber with an auto.Also if you find your more comfortable shooting with your left hand, your going to have an ejected shell crossing in front of your vision unless you get a lefthanded auto. Starting with a .22 (pistol or rifle) is really the way to go. Ammo is dirt cheap and there is little to no recoil to distract you. That being said, if all you can afford is one gun, than go with something your comfortable with. As many have said try as many as you can before you buy. The best advice I can give is go with a .357. You can practice with .38 rounds, and have the knock down power of a .357 for protection

Idahoser likes this.
survivalmonkey SSL seal        survivalmonkey.com warrant canary
17282WuJHksJ9798f34razfKbPATqTq9E7