Never owned a firearm

Discussion in 'Firearms' started by michae1, Dec 31, 2011.

1. Tikka

Tikka Monkey+++

With pistols and revolvers it is best if you learn to shoot with both eyes open.

2. bushrat

bushrat Monkey+

Yes & No

I do agree that semi-autos are not necessarily everyone's cup of tea, but I also agree that with (and this is the key) proper training (thorough and patient training) any person can learn to shoot one safely. I definitely disagree with starting a newbie, be it young or female, with a 357 mag. I always start them with a .22 LR first, where they practice safe handling and learning functioning of the weapon.

Only after some time with a .22 would I move them up to a more powerful caliber. I've seen too many people frightened off from the shooting sports by the power and recoil of some calibers, such as the .357 mag. In fact, I have even hand loaded some larger calibers a little lighter to start and slowly worked them up to full power.

tulianr likes this.
  3. bushrat

bushrat Monkey+

I would recommend it, but it may be difficult for some people. In a defensive situation it does allow you to keep track of your surroundings, as sometimes there may be multiple assailants.

4. Tikka

Tikka Monkey+++

It is considered to be the best for defensive applications. Both eyes pick up movement.

Cephus and Alpha Dog like this.
  5. ozarkgoatman

ozarkgoatman Resident goat herder

Not only that, but the reason I recomend a wheel gun for newbies or people who don't like to shoot alot, is that semi autos can jam this takes practice to clear fast. That could be the differance between life and death. I bought a Ruger LCR in 38 for my wife. it has a 2" barrel and it's hammerless so she can put it in her pocket when she doing stuff around the farm. Not a long range shooter but I shot a goat with it and the 38P+ killed it deader than it needed to be.

BWM

6. Alpha Dog

Alpha Dog survival of the breed

When you start practicing practice with both eye's open you have an advantage. That is you have not been shootiing for years with one eye it is a hard habit to break. Your dominant eye will take over practice with an unloaded gun, coming from the holster bringing the gun up in to your sight picture dont bring your head to the gun and focus on the front sight. After a little time you will have no problem's. I tell people to hang a small circle on the wall and focus on that circle and draw the weapon focus on the front sight and the circle from diff. areas of the room. Also always try to keep both eyes open you limit yourself if you dont. In a SHTF you could have more than one target with closing that eye you might not know hes there until you hear a snap and feel a burn. The best advice I can give you for learning, is take what ever you are doing serious If you train serious you will react serious, and most important to remember HAVE FUN!!!!

BackwoodsmanUSA and Cephus like this.
  7. michae1

michae1 Monkey+

I remember when I was shooting the shot gun that one day I realized there was a fire that left the barrel, and then I knew I must have been closing my eyes when I pulled the trigger. I have also used just one eye. I can see the value in using both though. I was unaware of which eye was the dominant one until yesterday.

8. Wolfgang2000

Wolfgang2000 Monkey++

First there is a lot of knowledge in the posts in this thread. It's a good thing to figure out your eye dominance issue first. I can't tell you how many times that has caused problems for new shooters.

My first advise to you is to invest in some professional training BEFORE you buy your gun. A lot of things like breathing, trigger control, sight picture, etc., that are taken for granted by more experienced shooters but need to be taught to the novice. Marksmanship training is a hands on art, and can't really be taught on line. By getting a pro you won't have to "unlearn" some one else's mistakes.

Like others here till about 5 years ago, I thought like everyone else. Basically a non gun person/ novice should start with a revolver. I usually recommended a S&W K frame (or the like) 3" barrel in stainless, in the 357 caliber.

My neighbor became a widow, and wanted a SD gun. I tried her out on my Ruger GP100's in both 3 & 4 inch. The double action was so hard on her that with 38 Spl target loads I could barely keep her on target at 7 yards.

A week or so later I tried her out on one of my Glock 19's. Right off she was shooting out the center of the target. She is now the proud owner of a 3rd gen G19 with night sights. She does great with it. I've had the same results with several other ladies since then. Yes most of them had to develop the muscles to work the slide. But it's really been a non issue.

The Glock is simple. No levers or switches. If your finger is off the trigger it's safe. If there is a round in the chamber, and you pull the trigger it goes bang.

I agree that everyone needs at least 1, 22 pistol and rifle. I can't recommend the Ruger MK I, II, or III, highly enough. With then right training you can learn the semi auto from the get go. They are a blast to shoot, and a inexpensive way to train.

Just my .02 worth. YMMV

STANGF150 and Idahoser like this.
  9. Cephus

Cephus Monkey+++ Founding Member

A lot of great and accurate information here that is for sure .Choosing weapon is like choosing a baseball bat ya have to get the one that fits ya best . As we all played sports when we were younger we know that the equipment is way to win the game ,and the game in this case can be deadly so choose the equipment wisely .

Alpha Dog likes this.
  10. Idahoser

Idahoser Monkey+++ Founding Member

all good.

1. try really hard to not make this choice alone. Get with somebody nearby, or the local range probably rents guns (no, you don't need any kind of license to rent their gun and shoot their ammo in their range, they'll probably ask you to sign a waiver of liability, and it'll cost you a few bucks).

Just about anyplace you might be there is somebody watching this thread who would be willing to meet you at a range and help you with some of this stuff that seems so confusing now, but after you actually see it and do it it won't be a mystery any more.

One thing that gets way too little attention is that a .22 is not just for the beginner. You need access to a .22 for practice for the rest of your life. MOST of your shooting should be .22 Long Rifle, for ever. You can shoot ten times as much for the same cash. The fundamental skills are much easier to learn with a 'lightweight' caliber that doesn't punish your hand or encourage flinching and all the other bad habits we find ourselves with. A .22 is NOT just "what you learn on"!

For a myriad of reasons, a revolver is superior to a semi-auto pistol. Notice I did not add "for beginners". Some of the most competent shooters choose a revolver though they can have any gun they want. Someone may prefer semi-auto pistols but still own revolvers.

No gun collection is complete without at least one medium sized, all-steel, 3" to 4" barrel, .357 Magnum revolver. No matter what else you may end up choosing to have on the nightstand, or carry or keep in the glove box or whatever/all of the above, you're still going to have one of these. Make it a good brand name, take care of it, and it's as good an investment as gold.

So rule 1, that you should not violate! is shoot and handle a bunch before you spend the money to buy a gun.

Rule 2, you will always need a .22 around, even if you borrow or rent.

Rule 3. If you simply have no choice and need to pick one gun to take with you to a desert island for the rest of your life, sight unseen; then something like a S&W 19 or 66, or 686, with a 3" or 4" barrel, won't be the 'wrong' choice.

auto pistols are for guys who like guns, who will practice and study them because they want to.

The wife or grandma who just 'wants a gun' and will practice maybe once a year can still functionally and safely operate a revolver. That person is going to hurt their self with an auto pistol.

When the zombie apocalypse casts us into chaos and your 'liberal' neighbor comes banging on your door FINALLY understanding he is responsible for his own safety, you want that revolver around for him, assuming you'd rather not use him for bait. He is not likely to be capable of learning what he needs to know about your Glock in the time you have.

Alpha Dog, Sapper John and BTPost like this.
  11. Tikka

Tikka Monkey+++

Fit is really important with pistols or revolvers. A good gun shop will often suggest other grips; it is good for business and the customer.
    When my lady went to purchase her revolver; the clerk suggested another grip, she tried two before it was a fit.

The end result should be a revolver which fits well and "points" well for instinctive shooting. It is worth a few extra bucks to get it.

The bad thing about firearms is your shooting skills go stale almost as fast as a left out slice of fresh bread.

Alpha Dog likes this.
  12. Alpha Dog

Alpha Dog survival of the breed

That's another thing don't let the dealer pick and sell you a gun and alot of ninja cool accessories. Accessories comes later after you know what you are doing and what you need. You research several guns go try them look them over. Once you have decided the next thing is a holster there are alot of info on here about holsters. I even started a thread abut them your holster is also important and personal to you fit, type of carry and comfort. When you leave that day you should have the gun of your choice, holster of your choice and ammo. Don't let them tell you how S.W.A.T. teams are using this and it's a must 9 time out of 10 you will pay out the but for it and go home throw it in a box and never use it. Try and find a shop that is family owned and has an older person at the counter who has been in business for years. You get treated better and most of the time truthful answer's. That way when you go back a few times you get on more of a personal level. Our local shop is the crow pole for us guy's we go in set down drink coffe if we need something we go behind the counter and get it our self.

Nadja likes this.
  13. Valkman

Valkman Knifemaker Moderator Emeritus Founding Member

I'd really rather recommend a .22 for starting out, but if you can buy only one gun and need it for protection the .357 revolver is the way to go. As has been said you can shoot all the .38's you want and switch to .357 when needed. I'd look for a good used S&W M66 or something similar. If you can also consider a .22 so you can really afford to shoot and learn the basics.

14. Seacowboys

Seacowboys Senior Member Founding Member

My advice? Get a really expensive and rare one and something really big and out of the ordinary. Nothing will shut the "Gun Experts" up like showing up at the range with a Llhati or a Drillin in .700 Nitro over an eight gauge. Machine guns are great for first guns too. Most people aren't aware that the vast majority of first time gun owners are issued an automatic rifle (machine gun) and it doesn't seem to cause too many problems for the military?

wrc223 likes this.
  15. michae1

michae1 Monkey+

This is all great advice. I may not be answering all the posts, but I am reading them. Thanks to everyone for the help. This is actually more information about guns then I have had in my entire life. I am ex-military, but I never even got a chance to pick up a gun, unless you count boot camp and that was just a piece, just for show. I was in the Navy.

16. GrandpaDave

GrandpaDave Monkey++

After I had the weekend to think things over I do have a suggestion before going any further International Defensive Pistol Association - Affiliated Club State and Country List This is the link to the IDPA see if they have a club chapter close to you...

Go to one of their many matches, they have both pistol and revolver shoots... talk to them about what you told us, what you like what you want to do... they will advise on the type of training you need and give you the ability to become proficient in this fast growing sport.... Personally I'm into long range handgun steel plates as my shooting sport of choice but what the hey... everyone needs a hoby right?

17. mysterymet

mysterymet Monkey+++

Once the weather warms up you might want to look and see if there will be an appleseed shoot in the area.

BTPost likes this.
survivalmonkey SSL seal        survivalmonkey.com warrant canary
17282WuJHksJ9798f34razfKbPATqTq9E7