Never too old to start

Discussion in 'New Member Introductions' started by R3llik, Jul 23, 2016.

Tags:
  1. Altoidfishfins

Altoidfishfins Monkey+++ Site Supporter+

Ganado, you're merciless! When and where did you EVER learn to be so truthful?
    - uh um OOPS - just pulled a Joe Biden!
    Now to get this shoe unstuck from my false teeth.

chelloveck and Ganado like this.
  2. R3llik

R3llik Monkey

All of it. I am taking a couple years to learn and budget. Some of the ideas I want implement, I am going to try out here in KS first, such as green housing, water catchment, alternative power sources etc etc... But on smaller scale here.

chelloveck and Motomom34 like this.
  3. AD1

AD1 Monkey+++

I have had a full mustache since my senior year in high school. Every Christmas season I dont shave for a full month and leave the beard until sometime in Jan when I slowly gets trimmed to just like R3IIiK, then the chin gets cut so I have my "FuManChu" for several weeks.

Then it gets cut back to the "stache" as the business travel ramps up as the MIL groups I deal with being clean shaven is "almost required" but the "stache" stays.

Cruisin Sloth likes this.
  4. Motomom34

Motomom34 Monkey+++

I saw a video years ago about a man that grew all his food in his yard and it was a really small yard. He had fish also. I was amazed at the amount of food he produced in such a small space. It really highlighted to me that one really does not need acres and acres unless they are raising larger livestock.

chelloveck and AD1 like this.
  5. Yard Dart

Yard Dart Vigilant Monkey Moderator

I thought I asked you politely, to not share this picture of me......OPSEC G!!! :p

Ganado and AD1 like this.
  6. Bandit99

Bandit99 Monkey+++ Site Supporter+

@Motomom34 I had a friend that lived in Idaho and he said not to go above Moscow because it gets real "conservative" up there."
    Hmmmm...I really don't think that is the case. I think many got a bad impression of Northern Idaho due to Aryan Nation which was thrown out and their buildings were bulldozed flat. No, I wouldn't say real conservatives but again I haven't lived here that long. As for myself, I wouldn't call myself a real conservative. I have some very liberal leanings, a few that rub 'real' conservatives the wrong way such as HealthCare and Pro-Choice. I like Bernie Sanders' HeathCare (and think it should be funded by cuts from everything else) and I don't think anyone should be involved with the abortion issues certainly not men and certainly not the Federal and State making it legal or illegal or funding it. I think it should be left to the person, the woman herself. I am not too keen on the Supreme Court Judges not retiring at a certain age either even though I understand the reasoning but by setting a mandatory retirement age it would be the same as them dying so... So, even though I live in Northern Idaho and have more Conservative leanings than Liberal but I do have some of the latter.

Last edited: Jul 24, 2016
    Motomom34 likes this.
  7. I'm partial to the-talk to the locals-method of finding land. the best deals are rarely online. It's all about someone's grandpa that wouldn't mind selling 10 acres. Take your time to research. Get to know the folks in that area, the county's codes and rules, the area's water issues, access issues, stuff like that. If you can, check out the area during different seasons. Your off-grid paradise might turn into mosquito hell in mid-summer.

Last edited: Jul 24, 2016
    Motomom34, chelloveck, GOG and 2 others like this.
  8. RightHand

RightHand Been There, Done That RIP 4/15/21 Moderator Moderator Emeritus Founding Member

Wise advice FOTM. Too many people buy into their perception then try to change the reality to meet it. It can lead to a waste of time, waste of money, disappointment and neighbors who resent the intrusion rather than welcome the newcomer

chelloveck and Fall off the Map like this.
  9. Ganado

Ganado Monkey+++

I did not say to count out the old men..... what is that saying???
    “Old age and treachery will overcome youth and skill”

[biggrouphug]

10. Altoidfishfins

Altoidfishfins Monkey+++ Site Supporter+

You're reading like a twin - mustache since high school, HAM radio...62 years old

Years ago I grew a goatee. When traveling to Mesa on a job there, I had a couple bourbon and cokes in the evening at the hotel, then decided to trim it up. Well, I missed more than once, and by the time I finished it looked like a moth ate it. I had to completely shave it off - but the mustache remained unscathed.

AD1 and Ganado like this.
  11. Aeason

Aeason Monkey

Welcome, if only I could be 47 again, 60 here

12. Ura-Ki

Ura-Ki Grampa Monkey

Fellow Sm neube, I started in 08 when I retired and have been slowly but surely building my self up to where I want to be! I started small and started working towards where I am at! I still have a long way to go, but I am happy with what I have done so far! I was able to get my place here in Colorado pretty inexpensively and was also able to build on it a little at a time! I purchased a old mobile home for temp living and started in on the main house while building my shop at the same time! I also had built up a pretty good food reserve prior to starting the build so I had a good start at that point! The work never ends, so I have a hell of a list of do's still to be done! Like GOG said, one bite at a time! LOL Any way Welcome Friend!

1. AgentPickle
  2. CaptainCalamity
  3. DurdenJames
  4. saki monkey
  5. old_code
  6. OlSarge
  7. TheRightToBearArms
  8. AR15gunbuilder
    New one from west Florida
    Thread by: AR15gunbuilder, Sep 28, 2020, 19 replies, in forum: New Member Introductions
  9. Bunker Bob
  10. Modus Operandi
  11. Northern california
  12. Murfylang
  13. Waydah
  14. Kruel J
  15. johnwintergardener
  16. JazzeeJ
  17. Kavode
  18. ArtVandelay
  19. MrBadExample
  20. Wildbilly