New Anti-Gun Control Law Set for Alaska

Discussion in 'Freedom and Liberty' started by ghostrider, Oct 17, 2005.

1. ghostrider

ghostrider Resident Poltergeist Founding Member

New Anti-Gun Control Law Set for Alaska By MATT VOLZ, Associated Press Writer
    Mon Oct 17, 4:08 AM ET

JUNEAU, Alaska - Starting Wednesday, handgun owners won't need permits to carry concealed weapons in the seven Alaska cities where they're still required. There also will be no more restrictions on keeping a firearm in a vehicle.

A new state anti-gun control law that goes into effect will essentially bar municipalities from passing gun laws that are more restrictive than state law.

The National Rifle Association, which helped Republican state Rep. Mike Chenault write the legislation, says except for the concealed weapon permit requirements, most Alaska city and state gun laws are the same.

What the NRA wants to do is prevent cities from passing more restrictive laws in the future. It calls it state pre-emption, and Alaska will be the 44th state to have such a law on its books.

"We are looking to make it uniform to all 50 states," said NRA spokeswoman Kelly Hobbs. "Without it, it creates an unfair, inconsistent and confusing patchwork of local firearm ordinances."

But Alaska police chiefs worry about no longer being able to enforce laws banning guns from public buildings, such as city halls.

The new law would allow cities to keep guns out of places beyond a restricted access point, such as a metal detector, but the chiefs say their cities can't afford the staff or equipment.

"There are lots of people, myself included, we really value our constitutional rights," said Anchorage Police Chief Walter Monegan. "But if we had the same enthusiasm to also support our constitutional responsibilities, then I would be less concerned over this issue."

Chenault argues that even though state law now does not specifically prohibit weapons in municipal buildings, it does prohibit them in state buildings, so a municipal law wouldn't be considered more restrictive. He acknowledged, however, that it may take a court challenge to see if he's right.

2. Quigley_Sharps

Quigley_Sharps The Badministrator Administrator Founding Member

Alaska has been calling me back for years, I might just move up there for the gun friendly laws.

3. melbo

melbo Hunter Gatherer Administrator Founding Member

Didnt they clamp down on 'personal use' pot a few 10 years ago or did they get it back?

4. Quigley_Sharps

Quigley_Sharps The Badministrator Administrator Founding Member

yeah they clamped it down,

5. CRC

CRC Survivor of Tidal Waves | RIP 7-24-2015 Moderator Emeritus Founding Member

Mr Alaska (aka known as shipper of Salmon, Crab and clams) wants me to move there...badly..

I don't go where Salt Water freezes....

That is against God's Will....I am sure of that. :shock:

6. kckndrgn

kckndrgn Monkey+++ Moderator Emeritus Founding Member

I would love to visit Alaska, just not sure my southern belle of a wife could handle living up there :)

Ryan

7. CRC

CRC Survivor of Tidal Waves | RIP 7-24-2015 Moderator Emeritus Founding Member

I like her already. 8)

survivalmonkey SSL seal        survivalmonkey.com warrant canary
17282WuJHksJ9798f34razfKbPATqTq9E7