New blacksmith. Ideas?

Discussion in 'Blades' started by Huntinbull, Jun 12, 2011.

1. Huntinbull

Huntinbull Monkey+

I have been doing simple wrought iron work with maleable iron in round rod and square rod form. I have gathered some good pieces of high carbon steel and am thinking of making some tools/sharps.

Saw a product that I would like to make for myself. 1 1/4 inch width arrowheads. I think the original site I saw it on was ESEE knives I believe. Any tips on using or treating or handling HC steel?

2. beast

beast backwoodsman

try making a chain, thats what apprentices did
    then make your own tongs
    then try a simple one-piece coal shovel
    all good learning things

as for HC, dont get it too hot
    youll burn out the carbon
    i rework leafsprings at deep red and retemper
    it works great

3. Bison_Forge

Bison_Forge Aspiring Knifemaker

I don't really have much experience with HC steel, it is not something that I find myself needing to use that often. But I do remember that it tends to burn faster, and you need to be very precise with your quench hardening, or else it will get really brittle. I prefer olive oil or some type of cooking oil, over motor oil for that type of thing.

4. beast

beast backwoodsman

5. Bison_Forge

@beast, as I understand it, Huntinbull is all ready an accomplished smith, but just needed some advice on using the HC steel.

6. beast

beast backwoodsman

oh ok :) sorry

7. zmon1911

zmon1911 Monkey+++

Lots of information and knowledge on Bladeforums.com.
    They have "Maker's Area" where you certainly will find answers to your question.

8. Cephus

Cephus Monkey+++ Founding Member

Bull,do ya plan on making these to hunt with .
    If so they'll be pretty thin ,I'm guessing maybe .200 or thiner .
    That being the case I'd use some Kasnit to harden them ,it will harden down to .050 on both sides .

9. Bear

Bear Monkey+++ Founding Member Iron Monkey

What kind of high carbon steel have you acquired?
    Is it mill stock of known composition or coil, spring etc...?
    Heat treating can been pretty simple... just depends on what you have and how forgiving the steel is to heat treating... O-1, 5160, W2, 1095 etc...
    All are oil hardening... but there are air hardening steels as well...
    Of course, depending on the type of steel... it can be pretty complicated and best left to someone with the proper equipment and knowledge...
    Let me know what you have and I can try to help you out...

Bison_Forge likes this.
  10. Bison_Forge

11. Huntinbull

Huntinbull Monkey+

Actually Bison and Beast, I am fairly new. I have been shadowing a GOOD blacksmith for a year or so, but not taking training, just watching/picking up stuff. I have worked some softer stuff but nothing with any carbon content.

As for the HC steel I am starting off with, it is scavenged HC railroad spikes. Just to start.

12. Bison_Forge

13. Huntinbull

Huntinbull Monkey+

No pics at the moment but my set-up is super simple. One set of tongs, Piece of railroad iron, brake drum forge, 3# hammer, and various chisels used for a hardy.

14. Bear

Bear Monkey+++ Founding Member Iron Monkey

Here is a good read on RR spikes with good links from a very good source on blacksmithing...
    Take a look ... its worth your time and may help you with project...
    If you have questions... I can try to help...
    Note... while your spikes are considered high carbon for rr spikes... they are pretty low on the scale for what is usually considered high carbon steel... high 20s to about 40... whereas high carbon steel for knives IMHO is usually anywhere from 55 up to the 90s...
    Still... many have made great tools out of spikes and love them...
    Check out the "Junkyard Steel" link on the bottom of the read... its a good general source for steel you can readily find and work into some great tools...
    Knowledge is your greatest and best tool for your blacksmithing.... and heat treating is part of that journey that I find is the most rewarding and challenging...
    Let me know if I can help... I've got some coil spring and leaf spring that I have made into some great tools... I can send you some if you like...
    Enjoy the Journey!
    Bear....

here's the link to Anvilfire.... great place to learn and explore with lots of experienced blacksmiths, JS and Master Blacksmiths....

RR-Spikes : Material and Use

15. beast

beast backwoodsman

atm, my workshop is my living room, next to the woodstove
    kids tore down my smithy a few years back while i was truckin
    once i get moved into the new place ill build a new one
    but for now the woodstove makes a great temporary forge
    and the anvil on its stand with all the tools hangin off it looks kinda cool

16. CATO

CATO Monkey+++

survivalmonkey SSL seal        survivalmonkey.com warrant canary
17282WuJHksJ9798f34razfKbPATqTq9E7