New caliber 100 rds 2

Discussion in 'Firearms' started by oldman11, Mar 18, 2018.

1. Seacowboys

Seacowboys Senior Member Founding Member

I tried to cut back to just a few calibers several years ago but more odd-balls kept showing up and my magazine kept growing so I honestly do not know how much of anything I've got but am pretty sure I won't run short of anything any time soon. I just got rid of a bunch of .375 H&H along with my Sako rifle, a bunch of .270 and .243 along with 700 Remingtons, .41 Mags with a Ruger single six, makarov and all the ammo, was going to get rid of all the 9 mil but couldn't bear to part with a favorite 32 rd IMI o I bought another wheel-gun in 9mm for USPSA revolver comp and have been banging those out for a while now

sec_monkey, Tully Mars and Ura-Ki like this.
  2. hot diggity

hot diggity Monkey+++ Site Supporter+++

This might help reduce any nervousness. I have tried these experiments myself with lots of calibers, and they make some noise. That's about all. You might want to share this link with the local fire department.

(I would've volunteered to clean up and dispose of all the damaged ammo. ;-))

Last edited: Mar 18, 2018
    sec_monkey and Oddcaliber like this.
  3. ochit

ochit Monkey+

There used to be a company called outback it sold a insert to fire 308 in a 30-06 once inserted it required a broken case extractor to remove it. It did however allow another caliber o be fired and a nato one that the U.S. uses.

I have broken shell extractor and a screw together steel cleaning rod in the butt of every center fire rifle I have, there is nothing worse than a problem with a stuck case or bullet in the barrel in the field. Other tools are those that I need for optics, mounts and rings. My preference for bases and rings are Burris Leupold or Redfield all steel.
    Success in accuracy is rock solid bases and rings with decent optics and price point is not that expensive Pentax and Nikon (check reviews for each model) have good choices for under 200 dollars. Loosing a shot on a deer that can feed your family for a long time is expensive to replace with store bought meat that has more cholesterol and less flavor.

Plenty of ammo is fine but in realistic terms a couple of guns or more that fire the same caliber to take care of all your family is a plus. If they are the same make and model with interchangeability of parts and accessories that is logistically more sensible than having a safe full of orphans. In past times where we had no thought of a ammo drought or fear of some incident halting civilian manufacturer of ammo or other things that could dry up supplies, who would care about caliber, supplies or stock. Today is a very different world I don't know if anyone noticed but we have been on the verge of a world war threatened by Iran North Korea and recently Russia threats along our southern border where 7 middle easterners were just caught. We could go to sleep and wake up in a rationed and with closed trade with other countries. So no more cheap foreign ammo reloading supplies and what stock there is will be gone overnight just like the ammo shortage.
    I hate to mention this fact but it seems that people are less sensitive to just how dangerous and instantaneous events are occurring and how many governments have fallen destabilizing whole regions of the world. the world is in more trouble than just before the second world war at this moment. People need to consolidate think logistically and long term, just my opinion if your not your playing checkers not chess in a game that has real consequences.

4. Tully Mars

Tully Mars Metal weldin' monkey

I don't know why but casting buckshot is tedious for me. I have no problem casting bullets but for some reason I hate to cast buckshot. Look at the prices nowadays and you see why I make myself.

ochit, Ura-Ki and sec_monkey like this.
  5. Ura-Ki

Ura-Ki Grampa Monkey

Hey Tully, a neato trick for moulding buck shot, take a big pile of it and toss it in the vibrating tumbler and run it a min or two. Knocks the mould lines off, and your all Done! Helps if you have a mould that can handle more then 2 or 3 at a time
    Pro tip for all moulding, get your self a plastic sprew cutter ( some times called a flush cut side cutter) and get to it. No excuses with one of these handy, cost about $15 bucks on line! Just mould fits off flush with projectile bases and makes it a hell of a lot faster and much easier then mould cutters!

Tully Mars and ochit like this.
survivalmonkey SSL seal        survivalmonkey.com warrant canary
17282WuJHksJ9798f34razfKbPATqTq9E7