New camo idea for firearms...

Discussion in 'Firearms' started by dragonfly, Aug 11, 2010.

1. NVBeav

NVBeav Monkey+++

Dragonfly,
    Did I miss a picture of your rifle netting someplace? It seems like an interesting concept, and I'd like to see how it looks...

2. larbhills

larbhills Monkey+

I discovered camo vet wrap not too long ago. It only sticks to itself and its really stretchy. I figure I can wrap a bunch of native vegitation up in it so that sticks and stuff stick out and have some really nice and also changeable camo for a weapon.

3. ghrit

ghrit Bad company Administrator Founding Member

Hot barrels bother it, d'you suppose?

4. dragonfly

dragonfly Monkey+++

I'll have to dig that experiment back out...everything got sidetracked working on the closing of escrow on yet another lot of land....
    Makes 3 now....lets see that's 4.5 + 2.22 acres= 6.72 acres for $11,500.
    Could be better, but it could have been more!

5. Seawolf1090

Seawolf1090 Retired Curmudgeonly IT Monkey Founding Member

How about doing like the Russians in WWII did for their Mosin Snipers -burlap wrap! Deer hunters down here use camo burlap to camo their tree stands and ground blinds - sounds like just the thing. It'll get wet in rain, but when you get home, take it off to dry and wipe the gun down with WD40. ;)

6. Hispeedal2

Hispeedal2 Nay Sayer

My carbine refinished in FDE here :

HOME PAGE

Will be back on Monday. I will start a new thread with the details.

7. larbhills

larbhills Monkey+

Well, I don't ever get the barrel hot on this one!

8. Longbow

Longbow Monkey+

Ill try that idea soon!

9. dragonfly

dragonfly Monkey+++

By using a non-absorbent material like: nylons, polyesters, or such, there's a lot better resistance to getting water accumulation and starting rust!

10. Hispeedal2

Hispeedal2 Nay Sayer

11. OhioHillbilly

OhioHillbilly Monkey+

I have an old model 60 Marlin that I won in a poker game years ago. It has a decent scope on it. Great squirrel gun. I roughed it up with some sand paper and then coated it with two coats of rustoleum paint. Then I used flat cammo colors to finish it off.
    Laid it down to eat a sandwich and it took an hour to find it. :D

12. dragonfly

dragonfly Monkey+++

Recently...
    An "individual" up north in Arizona, went out with 2 other people just "playing" war games as it were...after a bit of time had passed he had to take a "leak". He laid the rifle ( M1A1) against a tree and turned to do the deed...
    He turned back around and was unable to find the rifle.
    It was so nicely camo'd, not one of the 3 could easily spot, or find the rifle leaning against a tree!
    Now, about a month later, some other locals were out cuting wood, and lo and behold they came across the rifle...it had fallen and was lying on the ground which made it very easy to see....the ground is a reddish brown, and the camo job perfectly matched the tree trunks and foilage in the area!
    Motto of this story: put it on the ground, or, on your shoulder?
    Seems a BIT far-fetched to me, but hey, I wasn't there!
    Knowing the abilities of those individuals, I would not put anything past their ability! I'm amazed they could find each other, having "dressed" up in camo themselves!
    (Snicker!)

survivalmonkey SSL seal        survivalmonkey.com warrant canary
17282WuJHksJ9798f34razfKbPATqTq9E7