New Car-Top Tent

Discussion in 'Functional Gear & Equipment' started by Yard Dart, Feb 17, 2017.

1. Yard Dart

Yard Dart Vigilant Monkey Moderator

New car-top tent perfect complement to your emergency evacuation kit.

[​IMG]

If you’re forced from your home in an emergency situation your first priorities are going to be shelter, water and fire.

A new car-top tent by IKamper may be the perfect solution your shelter problem. It also seems like a good option if you enjoy a simplistic camping experience.

But if you are seriously involved in the prepper lifestyle, this new tent is a great complement to your bug-out or emergency evacuation kit.

The IKamper car-top tents are contained in a hard case similar to a cargo bin that attaches to the racks on your SUV roof or to your pickup’s bed. The tent can be set up in minutes by one person, is large enough for two adults and two children, and since it’s off the ground, there’s no worry about unwelcome critters crawling into you tent while you are away or sleeping.

The new Skycamp model (they have three different models) seems reasonably priced, retailing for $2,950, but available for $1,950 if you pre-order starting February 27.

Among its advantages for the emergency evacuation kit is the fact that it can remain affixed to your vehicle, making it readily available at all times, and your bedding can remain inside the tent while it’s packed away. Having your tent and bedding already packed away leaves more room for water, food and other essentials in your vehicle and fewer things to concern yourself with if you’re trying to get away in a hurry.

You can learn more about the IKamper line of products by going to their website.

Other items you should have in your car’s bug-out kit include:

• 72-hour supply of food and water
    • Water purification products (bleach, iodine, water purification tablets or water filtration system like Lifestraw, etc.)
    • Small shovel
    • Knife and small ax or machete
    • First aid kit
    • Prescription medications and over-the-counter medications
    • Rope and/or paracord
    • Extra clothing
    • Leather gloves
    • Flashlight and emergency beacon
    • Personal hygiene items like toothpaste, toothbrush, soap, hand sanitizer and feminine hygiene products (if applicable)
    • Fire starters
    • Extra cash, including some coins
    • Firearm and ammunition.
    If you have other suggestions for a necessary bug-out item, please list them in comment section below.
    New car-top tent perfect complement to your emergency evacuation kit - Personal Liberty®

2. Legion489

Legion489 Rev. 2:19 Banned

I suppose it would seem churlish to point out that this was a common product from the late teens through the 1920s into the 1930s and later and was widely promoted and plans put out to build your own.

Last edited: Feb 18, 2017
    oldawg, Dunerunner, Sgt Nambu and 2 others like this.
  3. Sgt Nambu

Sgt Nambu RIP 4/19/2018

Evil Churl! But correcto! :)

It's a nice looking unit, but not a new concept!

Last edited: Feb 18, 2017
  4. Dunerunner

Dunerunner Brewery Monkey Moderator

Great.... A reason to find and buy a Defender 110!! [touchdown]

[​IMG]

5. ghrit

ghrit Bad company Administrator Founding Member

Sure hope your vehicle roof is rated for all the weight, say something close to 700 pounds static, and lots of [do-it] plus a pair of kids.

6. duane

duane Monkey+++

While I have no problem with the concept of a car top tent, OPSEC would seem to indicate that the only thing missing is the target bulls eyes on the walls. It hardly meets either the requirements of concealment or of being bullet proof. Don't want to rain on any ones parade and like his bug out list, but I think if SHTF, that will be right up there with the armored wheel barrows as one of the practical things to own. For now though it is a very nice toy. Kind of like the $25,000 tiny house trailers that I am seeing, if you have sewer, water, electric power, food, security, and propane delivery, you can survive in crowded comfort with all your toys. Loose any one of those inputs and you can not as there is no backups designed into the system.

3M-TA3 and Sgt Nambu like this.
  7. Yard Dart

Yard Dart Vigilant Monkey Moderator

I have always wanted a Defender....especially when out on safari in the PNW. :)

Sgt Nambu, Dunerunner and Brokor like this.
  8. Mindgrinder

Mindgrinder Karma Pirate Ninja|RIP 12-25-2017

absurd price.

Sgt Nambu and ghrit like this.
  9. DarkLight

DarkLight Live Long and Prosper - On Hiatus

Pre-ordering for a soon to be released KickStarter. No thank you. And both of my cars say maximum roof load is 100lbs.

Neat it may be, it's crazy over priced. And it doesn't look like it's as usable as the article (paid advertisement perhaps?) implies.

10. RouteClearance

RouteClearance Monkey+++

Absurd price, let alone very cold in the winter. I will stick with a 1950 5 man arctic surplus tent with a winter liner that set me back $500.00.

VisuTrac and Sgt Nambu like this.
  11. Sgt Nambu

Sgt Nambu RIP 4/19/2018

I don't see much use as a "tent" as a, say hunting shelter I tend to just run a large strong tarp over the top of the he vehicle, catching the edge in a door jam. The other end is positioned with poles and stakes. So the living room is the, reclining, front bucket seats. Stereo, radio, clock, etc. Outside, under the tarp, is the kitchen, bath, bedroom!
    That thing is just to vulnerable to suit me.

12. DKR

DKR Raconteur of the first stripe

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

I have a rooftop camper - sorta.

[​IMG]
    fairly low profile when all closed up.

13. arleigh

arleigh Goophy monkey

If you don't have the space to store a trailer, this is a nice option,
    but personally I like a truck and camper with a trailer behind.

14. VisuTrac

VisuTrac Ваша мать носит военные ботинки Site Supporter+++

bov.

Yard Dart likes this.
  15. BTPost

BTPost Stumpy Old Fart,Deadman Walking, Snow Monkey Moderator

@VisuTrac Now if that truck was only 4X4.... with a PTO winch on the front bumper....

16. VisuTrac

VisuTrac Ваша мать носит военные ботинки Site Supporter+++

I think it is. International 4800.

17. Andy the Aussie

Andy the Aussie Monkey+++ Founding Member

Very common and popular down here (been around for years in one form or another). Quick setup and keeps you up away from the nasties. Not my personal cup of tea but many love them.

18. DarkLight

DarkLight Live Long and Prosper - On Hiatus

So, I got an email from REI today and they have car top tents...for $1000 and $1400.

I don't buy that you can get 4 people in the tent from the OP, and these are a brand that has an actual track record. Below is the 3 person variety.

Yakima SkyRise 3 Rooftop Tent

1. DKR
  2. TinyDreams
  3. Ura-Ki
  4. Dunerunner
  5. Yard Dart
  6. Tully Mars
  7. BenP
  8. the68
  9. Asia-Off-Grid
  10. DKR
  11. STANGF150