New deadly machine to build, what to call it

Discussion in 'The Green Patch' started by oil pan 4, Sep 29, 2023.

?
  1. Height adjuster 2000

2 vote(s)
    40.0%
  2. Deforestator

3 vote(s)
    60.0%
  1. oil pan 4

oil pan 4 Monkey+++

I need something like a DR walk behind trimmer, but with a saw blade on it.
    Yeah a Dr walk behind trimmer is only like $500 and I could just go out and buy one but I have found 2 problems.
    1 I have easily been able to destroy stuff made by DR in the past.
    2, You have to buy the trimmer blade kit separate and if I remember correctly its like $190 for the kit and replacement blades are around $100.

So $500 is really more like $700 and it's 800 if I want one spare blade.

I'm thinking, old push lawnmower engine, old push lawn mower deck, riding lawnmower spindle to hold the blade, mod riding lawnmower spindle in the lathe so it will hold standard 7, 10 or 12 inch skillsaw/table saw blades.
    Cost? Well I literally have all that shit in my junk collection, only thing I don't think I have is a 12 inch saw blade, but I got plenty of gently worn 7 and 10 inch ones. I have a brand new have large wheel push mower deck with a blown engine I bought for $10 and I have used riding mower deck spindles.

Last edited: Sep 29, 2023
  2. SB21

SB21 Monkey+++

What are you going to be cutting with this monstrosity??
    What about a walk behind bush hog ,, like a Billy Goat or a DR . I got a Billy Goat at a fair price a few years back ,, and it does a pretty good job ,,
    I'm definitely not ridiculing you on your projects ,, just asking . And I'm just adding thoughts here ,, but using a saw blade on a mower deck similar to the DR string trimmer,,seems like it could have a bad tendency to pinch the blade and cause a bad kick back. Maybe put teeth similar to the cutting teeth on your Stump grinder . May be less chance of pinching a thin blade.

Gator 45/70 likes this.
  3. Homer Simpson

Homer Simpson Monkey+++

We need pictures!!!

Gator 45/70 likes this.
  4. oil pan 4

oil pan 4 Monkey+++

Oh darn my junk lawn mowers that I think will work are all like 140 to 160cc weak sauce. I'm looking for at least a 190cc.
    I have one good 6.5hp late model Briggs flat head but that's my push mower.

It's goings to be for small trees, tumble weeds that are still in the ground growing, elephant grass anything that's not a rock or ground rod.

Gator 45/70 and SB21 like this.
  5. techsar

techsar Monkey+++

VisuTrac, SB21 and Homer Simpson like this.
  6. oil pan 4

oil pan 4 Monkey+++

Gator 45/70 likes this.
  7. duane

duane Monkey+++

Have a Sthil type weed eater and have used with both Skill saw type teeth and chain saw type blades, the Skill saw teeth type tends to get stuck in 2 to 3 in brush, but cuts grass well. The chain saw type cut brush like butter but doesn't do as well in grass.

https://forestershop.com/chainsaw-tooth-blade-7-dia-1in-20mm-arbor.html

Have heavy duty weed eater with bike type handles and it swung back and forth easily and cut well. Health won't let me run it any more but it worked well and it took a regular arbor that one of the adapters for the head fit. Can get with carbide chain as well, that stays sharp a lot longer, but is a pain to sharpen with a diamond file.

https://www.homedepot.com/p/Earthqu...gine-Walk-Behind-String-Mower-40314/320130366

Picked up a push type string cutter, like a lawn mower with big back wheels and a string head in front, at the dump. Have to start it first time in day with with starting fluid, but restarts well when hot, and price was right. It will cut grass, black berry bushes and brush up to about 1 in. used it around heavy stuff and then switched to weed eater with chain saw blade and that did job, When younger always took out brush with mattock, get most of roots as well and it is quick. 1800's tech, works well and the iron head was my grand father's, replaced handle, and at least 120 years old and hasn't run out of gas yet.:)

Last edited: Sep 30, 2023
    CraftyMofo and SB21 like this.
  8. Gator 45/70

Gator 45/70 Monkey+++

Sawzall.

Zimmy, VisuTrac and SB21 like this.
  9. SB21

SB21 Monkey+++

Them little bush hogs do a good job ,, it mulches the stuff up pretty good ,, so there's not much to clean up or haul off after . I was impressed with the one I got .

10. Tempstar

Tempstar Monkey+++

https://www.shoppok.com/charlotte/a,50,368643,Eddleman-Mower----225--Kannapolis-.htm

If you can find one of these you'd be set. I grew up using them because the maker was local and everyone had one. Cleaned many lots off with one of these. They will take out 2" saplings and are the only mower I ever used that would cut down Pampas grass.
    They also made a half-deck model that was totally open in the front. safety regulations in the 90's were the reason they stopped making them.

Last edited: Sep 30, 2023
  11. oil pan 4

oil pan 4 Monkey+++

It's the whole bending over repeatedly holding a heavy thing like a chain saw or sawsall that's starting to get to me.

12. Gator 45/70

Gator 45/70 Monkey+++

Went thru a hardwood bottom today on a tractor, Ended up on a levy trying to bushhog a trail around a pond.
    Needless to say a bushhog and cypress knees don't mix.
    Did make it all the way around though, Blew up 1 congo with #6 shot out of a Judge.
    Damn that thing is LOUD!

Zimmy and SB21 like this.
  13. sasquatch91

sasquatch91 Monkey+++

They build some nice weedwacker attachments.

14. VisuTrac

VisuTrac Ваша мать носит военные ботинки Site Supporter+++

Time and money.
    How much is your time worth.

If you are going to use it a lot then you ask?
    Do you build it yourself?
    Do you buy a prebuilt one?

Is this something that is going to take a couple of hours one time?
    Rent a unit.

Or is this a big job over a couple of days?
    Hire the job out.

There are somethings that aren't worth it to me to have to maintain and store for the rare occasion that i need it.

SB21 likes this.
  15. oil pan 4

oil pan 4 Monkey+++

A big weed Wacker is about 1 horse power. I wanted like 6hp height adjuster but I'll probably settle for 4 or 5hp.

16. oil pan 4

oil pan 4 Monkey+++

On going tree thinning around my 17 acres.
    The problem with buying it is I have been able to easily destroy stuff made by DR in the past. It will be $800 for their walk behind weed beater because it's $500 to buy it, it's about $190 for the saw kit and blades are $100.

17. sasquatch91

sasquatch91 Monkey+++

A big 2 stoke packs apunch though, how big of stuff are you planning on trying to cut down?

Gator 45/70 likes this.
  18. oil pan 4

oil pan 4 Monkey+++

Small stuff most of it 1 to 2 inches in diameter, 3 inches max.
    Most of it will be very dry hard wood.

19. sasquatch91

sasquatch91 Monkey+++

Dont need 6.5hp for that, weedwacker attachments will take care of it like butter.

20. oil pan 4

oil pan 4 Monkey+++

Yeah I know I don't neeeed 6.5hp.
    Just like the stump grinder and woodchipper didn't need a 459cc engine or I didn't have to have a 4gpm pressure washer.

Last edited: Oct 3, 2023
    SB21 likes this.
survivalmonkey SSL seal        survivalmonkey.com warrant canary
17282WuJHksJ9798f34razfKbPATqTq9E7