New Dualbander for the new Place....

Discussion in 'Survival Communications' started by BTPost, Oct 24, 2018.

1. BTPost

BTPost Stumpy Old Fart,Deadman Walking, Snow Monkey Moderator

Those who have patients will finally get their rewards... I bought a Kenwood TM-D710GA Control Head a few years back when they first came out with the GPS Chip integrated into the Control Head... I was thinking that I could upgrade my Kenwood TM-D710A radios by doing a Control Head swap... No such luck.. They are NOT interchangeable... Kenwood added a cute little PCB in the newer Control Head and Radio that reverses the wiring of the Interconnect cable between the two units, that keeps the radio from turning ON, if the wrong Control Head is plugged in... I tried to resell the Control Head, but it was to NEW, and no one wanted it, so it sat on the shelf for a couple of years, and I hoped a T/R Unit would come around for it... Well last week, one showed up on eBay, so I put a bid in for what I thought would be reasonable. Some dude then upped my bid, over and over untill he got one Round less than my Top Bid.. and then stopped... So I upped my bid by $100US and then had to wait a week for the auction to time out... He never came back, so at noon today, I won, and confirmed the Buy... When it gets here I will have a very nice Dualband 50Watt full APRS Radio for the New Place, with builtin GPS.. Blessings come to those who have patients... I will update this after the T/R Unit gets here and I have a chance to mess with it...

Gator 45/70, techsar, Dont and 3 others like this.
  2. azrancher

azrancher Monkey +++

I'm not a real Doctor, although I do play one on TV, all my patients love me, and I always have patience for my friend Bruce.

Rancher

Gator 45/70 and sec_monkey like this.
  3. sec_monkey

sec_monkey SM Security Administrator

methinks autocorrect may have had somethin to do with that :) :) (y) (y)

Gator 45/70 and SB21 like this.
  4. SB21

SB21 Monkey+++

Congrats on your new equipment , but I'm with Sec here . I sold some stuff on Ebay one time , my daughter listed it and managed it , I'm not as computer inclined , well I got a hit on the item , and my daughter signed in under her name and started bidding as well , just to up the bid . It worked , but I told her to quit because it didn't seem right . She said that's the way most people do it , I said I'm not most and didn't like it . That was the last time I messed with them.

oldman11, Gator 45/70 and sec_monkey like this.
  5. BTPost

Ok, one week ago I got the “New to Me” T/R Unit for the Kenwood TM-D710GA... I also pickedup the New R/T Systems Programmer Sofware that supports the Mac OSX Operating Systems... This allows me to not have. to bootup an XP Virtual Machine just to program all my many Kenwood TM-D710xx Radios... So I loaded the a new Programmer for each type, and downloaded the Setup & Frequecy File from the Cabin Base Radio, and then Imported that into the GA version Programmer, and Uploaded it into the GA Radio.. One glitch, right off the bat showed up... on first firing up the GA, the LCD lite up but no display... I disassembled the Control Head, and found the flat ribbon cable wasn’t inserted in it’s socket on. the Motherboard.... Slipped it into the socket, and dropped a small drop of glue to hold it in place, reassembled the Control Head, and problem was fixed... I wondered why I got that Control Head so cheap!!!!! Once everthing was working right, ran the GA Programmer and uploaded the Setup & Frequency File and then tested the Radio... Everything works well... Had to make a few adjustments to. the settings, and preform the MARS Mod, which is the same as the A Version... It has been cooking for 6 days now, with no issues, so it is ready. to move upto the new place... I tested the APRS Tx/Rx with the Cabin Base Radio, and all that functions correctly... I am please.... I am looking for either a TS-480SAT or HX T/R Unit fo go with the spare TS-480 Control Head, or a TM-D700 Control Head to go with a TS-B2000 T/R Unit that I am watching on an auction site... If i just bought the TS-B2000, I can use it by running the Kenwood Control Software for it that is free, on their WebSite, until a Control Head come up, somewhere... The same Control Head works for both the TM-D700 & the TS-B2000... Then that would be the Backup HF Radio here at the cabin, and my TS480HX would go up to the New Place... Still have 5 months to get this all figured out...

oldman11, ghrit and sec_monkey like this.
  6. BTPost

survivalmonkey SSL seal        survivalmonkey.com warrant canary
17282WuJHksJ9798f34razfKbPATqTq9E7