New Faster Bullet?

Discussion in 'Firearms' started by Ganado, May 31, 2016.

Tags:
  1. 3M-TA3

3M-TA3 Cold Wet Monkey

I thought energy was mass * velocity squared, not mass * velocity? I say make the aerodynamic issue a moot point by stuffing the cavity with pork....

As for me I'm sticking with Red Dots for pistol, but only where I can't have a rifle.

GOG, Cruisin Sloth and Taku like this.
  2. Gator 45/70

Gator 45/70 Monkey+++

Well Hell
    This thread is like making love to an inflatable love doll
    Something is just missing?

Tully Mars likes this.
  3. Ganado

Ganado Monkey+++

Thanks boys for all the input. It looked weird to me but I'm not an expert on physics or bullets! an interesting discussion.

4. Ganado

Ganado Monkey+++

whatever you think @ghrit and of course we can always let it ride and see if someone wants to test the theory =)[lolol]

Yard Dart likes this.
  5. kellory

kellory An unemployed Jester, is nobody's fool. Banned

If i still worked in a machine shop, i would. I don't have access to those toys anymore. (I spent a few years building custom drivelines, machining any parts we needed.)

6. Cruisin Sloth

Cruisin Sloth Special & Slow

With the aerodynamics I can't see it as an advantage , supersonic I can see no value , Trans sonic I can see lots of unstable forces ,
    Sub sonic I hear a whistle & if it has been stuffed , then , then , then Porky says thuwap .

Sloth

GOG, sec_monkey, 3M-TA3 and 1 other person like this.
  7. Yard Dart

Yard Dart Vigilant Monkey Moderator

I would not lock it up..... good read for sure... and who knows, some Monkey may actually try to fabricate this travesty of a bullet. :)

VisuTrac and Ganado like this.
  8. arleigh

arleigh Goophy monkey

The difference would have to be significant to be worth the investment , but being made from strait copper their practicality is nominal.
    One reason I chose the 17 HMR over the .22 is the difference from 1200 FPS and 2550 FPS and a much tighter pattern.
    What it lacks in mass it makes up for in accuracy and expansion/fragmentation .
    Say the squirrel is the target and more importantly food.
    The .22 generally your going to choose the larger target body mass. but more eatable flesh is destroyed .
    The 17 HMR can accomplish head shots at greater distances meaning more available shots and less food lost.
    Though ammo cost is 2x or more than .22 ,I see being able to hunt at greater distances a significant advantage.
    I zero my Marlin at 200 yards. what do you zero your .22 at ?
    If this new ammo provided a similar result I would be interested my self , When it becomes available I may give it a try , but that may never happen. sadly.

9. ghrit

ghrit Bad company Administrator Founding Member

OK, it lives as far as I'm concerned.

Ganado, UncleMorgan and Yard Dart like this.
  10. chimo

chimo the few, the proud, the jarhead monkey crowd

If someone can find and send me some of these bullets, I'd be happy to experiment with some different loads and publish some data using my chronograph and different target media. Personally the I think the ports would make the bullet unstable and unsuitable for any level of precision accuracy.

Ganado and UncleMorgan like this.
  11. UncleMorgan

UncleMorgan I like peeling bananas and (occasionally) people.

The laws of economics are as demanding as the laws of physics. If the website is up for sale, and there is no good news/recent news, the bullet has already failed in the marketplace.

That usually means it didn't perform as well as expected. Or it couldn't be manufactured economically. Or legal issues cropped up.

Whatever the reason, it's a non-bullet by now.

VisuTrac and Ganado like this.
  12. Legion489

Legion489 Rev. 2:19 Banned

Well Kellory put it exactly right. I have SERIOUS doubts about how well, or if, they will work, but until I see some actual tests I will not say they are bad. And yes, I think Visu is exactly right, but neither of us knows for sure.

Minuteman, Taku and kellory like this.
  13. rjburk

rjburk Monkey

How do you lose pressure when bullet is in barrel ? the pressure has no where to go but to push bullet out of barrel......

14. svjoe

svjoe Angry Monkey

You are right, but immediately upon exit I do believe you would lose the backpressure quicker than a conventional bullet

15. kellory

forgive a novice question, but wouldn't the projectile already have reached its maximum velocity?

16. arleigh

arleigh Goophy monkey

With rifling variations one gun to another and not knowing the depth of the bullet cut in each ,the holes in the bullets will not match the same every time how they ride in the rifling.
    Being a relatively lite bullet every other factor that can alter flight normally ,might well have even more effect on this Swiss cheese design.

chelloveck likes this.
  17. BTPost

BTPost Stumpy Old Fart,Deadman Walking, Snow Monkey Moderator

The difference in Muzzle Velocity due to the Projectile venting Powder Burning Pressure, will likely be insignificant.... Considering that the Projectile is moving considerably faster, than a similar Heavier Projectile, and the side holes are only a few cm forward of the Projectile Skirt... I would look at the placement of those Holes around the circumference of the Projectile.... If they are NOT Exactly Balanced, the resulting venting, could cause a significant Wobble, in the rotation velocity, brought about by the rifling of the barrel...
    It just seems like a BAD Idea from the GetGo, from a practical Physics, Point of View....

chelloveck, VisuTrac and Gator 45/70 like this.
  18. oil pan 4

oil pan 4 Monkey+++

That bullet would be illegal any ways. Pistol bullets can not be manufactured for use in a pistol with more than 25% of the bullets mass made from jacket material such as brass, bronze or copper.
    Unless the atf gives them a waver and with what happened to barns solids I am going to say that's a no.

Tully Mars likes this.
  19. chelloveck

chelloveck Diabolus Causidicus

I'd hazard a guess, and suggest that this ammunition has been in law enforcement use for some time!. The wobbly ballistics could account for the collateral injuries caused to bystanders when the LEO missed perps ohno

It seems to me that the holes are positioned in front of the seal, so would be venting gasses out of the holes into the rifling ahead of the seal. I doubt that it would be much of a target round....but as a round for an assassin in a throw away Liberator FP-45 Liberator - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia or zip gun, it might have some potential, depending on what toxic substance one might theoretically fill it with.

Tully Mars and Yard Dart like this.
  20. kellory

Bacon, fill it with bacon.

chelloveck and Gator 45/70 like this.
  1. T. Riley
  2. duane
  3. OldDude49
  4. oil pan 4
  5. Oddcaliber
  6. deMolay
  7. Grandpa Patch