New Garden

Discussion in 'The Green Patch' started by SLugomist, Feb 28, 2009.

1. SLugomist

SLugomist Monkey++

Re: My Garden

back to square one,planted seeds today, about 6 weeks, later than last year but we had a cold winter.

Need to make plastic stake down frame for winters

planted corn( carbs, alcohol,) tobacco (smoke,trade) peppers(weapon, and spicy) beans (sustinance protein, oil/fuel) Herbs and spices (flavor, medicinal)and lettuce salads mm good

skipping carrots and onions as they are easy to grow with minimal pests.
    and going to plant sunflowers as instant privacy fence, full of biomass

pics forth coming.

2. fortunateson

fortunateson I hate Illinois Nazis!

Re: My Garden

How did the tobacco work out for pest control?
    Did you do anything else for the same - like geraniums?

3. SLugomist

SLugomist Monkey++

the only pests this garden had, were the corn borers 2 waves, 2 crops, 2nd crop produce one of those little teeny cobs like in that movie with tom hanks, BIG. I used diatomaceous earth (organic) on the corn. It helped some. no pesticides

What insects don't like tobacco?
    The tobacco had a few worms, nothing I couldn't pick off in a couple minutes. The tobacco didn't bloom until about september. corn gone by then. I got about 10 pipes full nice sweet caribeean blend. 2 plants about 3 feet tall. planting 3 times as much this year.

The sunflowers attracted a bug that looked like a living steath fighter. Rather large and slow though, cats enjoyed one or two. I think they we doing some good. Late stage sunflowers had some rot and flies dropping larvae. The sunflowers were instant 3-4 month privacy fence.

I'm planting mainly corn and tobacco to learn it well as I think they'd be prime to know how to grow. This year I'll use pesticides on the corn It's war with the corn borer.

4. fortunateson

fortunateson I hate Illinois Nazis!

I did a stint with the company that discovered the active ingredient "Fipronil" that's used in many pesticides. They had a corn borer product that was pure Fipronil. One ounce per acre. Very effective.

Not sure what it is named nowadays or where you would buy it, but there are many Fipronil products out there that you might be able to improvise with.

5. karlscabin

karlscabin Monkey+

I've heard growin garlic around the outer perimiter of your garden works as a natual deterent to some pests and fungi. I plan on trying this in my own garden this summer...

1. Alanaana
    Gecko enjoying the fountain
    Uploaded by: Alanaana, Apr 26, 2024, 0 comments, in album: Alana's_Adventures
  2. Alanaana
    My outdoor orchid blossomed today!
    Uploaded by: Alanaana, Apr 22, 2024, 0 comments, in album: Alana's_Adventures
  3. Alanaana
  4. Alanaana
  5. Alanaana
  6. Alanaana
    Uploaded by: Alanaana, Apr 21, 2024, 0 comments, in album: Alana's_Adventures
  7. Alanaana
    Uploaded by: Alanaana, Mar 11, 2024, 0 comments, in album: Alana's_Adventures
  8. Alanaana
    Media

Starfruits!

In flight
    Uploaded by: Alanaana, Feb 25, 2024, 0 comments, in album: Alana's_Adventures
  9. Alanaana
  10. Alanaana
  11. Alanaana
    Uploaded by: Alanaana, Feb 2, 2024, 0 comments, in album: Alana's_Adventures
  12. Alanaana
    Foot hooping
    Uploaded by: Alanaana, Feb 2, 2024, 0 comments, in album: Alana's_Adventures
  13. Alanaana
    Uploaded by: Alanaana, Jan 28, 2024, 0 comments, in album: Alana's_Adventures
  14. Alanaana
    I love Sundays!
  15. Alanaana
  16. Alanaana
    I'm always happier outside!
    Uploaded by: Alanaana, Nov 29, 2023, 0 comments, in album: Alana's_Adventures
  17. Alanaana
  18. Alanaana
    Uploaded by: Alanaana, Nov 26, 2023, 0 comments, in album: Alana's_Adventures
  19. Alanaana
    Uploaded by: Alanaana, Nov 26, 2023, 0 comments, in album: Alana's_Adventures
survivalmonkey SSL seal        survivalmonkey.com warrant canary
17282WuJHksJ9798f34razfKbPATqTq9E7