New Gun law targets every semi rifle handgun and shotgun

Discussion in 'Freedom and Liberty' started by pearlselby, Jan 12, 2016.

1. Tully Mars

Tully Mars Metal weldin' monkey

1) Please understand that I'm NOT trying to get into a pissing contest with you over this,just stating my opinion.

I agree with the first part of your statement, ammo will be a problem for many, and the main reason I encourage folks to learn to reload. A simple single stage press,dies,powder scale some case lube and a powder funnel are all the basic tools needed. I know, I used just this set up when I started back when I was 11 or 12.

I still have it, but now I use presses that will load 400-700 rounds an hour according to the manufacturer. I can and do load more rns per hour than that. Components are the real issue here. No primer, no power, no bullet= club as you mentioned. Which is why those components should be on every prepper's list just like beans and band aids. Buy them buy the box, buy them in bulk, but buy them now.
    Personally when I order components I order buy the 5k lot. Better prices that way, but some folks can't do that. Gov. auctions sell brass by the TON. I know. It's all once fired. That means that the average shooter will get 5-7 reloads out of it before it has to be tossed.

I pick up brass where ever I find it. I no longer need to, but I do. I also plan on buying another 5-10k berdan primers to put away. Why? because steel cased ammo CAN be reloaded in a pinch. Not my go to, but any port in a storm-even if it is a soviet one.

BTW, I have made my own "custom" projectiles for .50 BMG as well as making brass casings for my .45-120. All in my very own shop. Things that I can't or don't want to try and fabricate I buy in bulk so that I'll never have to. Bullets and brass will store damn near forever if stored properly. Powder and primers will store almost that long. I have used powder and CCI primers that were 10+ years old with NO problems. That was stuff my father had and forgot about. It was in the factory containers and just stored in the back room. Imagine how long my stuff will last being vac sealed with absorbers and stored in ammo cans..

Like I said at the top, JMO

2. Legion489

Legion489 Rev. 2:19 Banned

"

PLEASE expand to see full post with comments above.

OK, I'll bite, SHOW ME THE MONEY! Or in this case (HA! HA!) cartridge cases YOU made in YOUR machine shop or basement (not heavy industrial machinery at a ammo making factory, or if you admit that you can't, please show me cases made by ANYONE in their machine or basement shop) that really will work once (or more) through an AR (or most any other auto for that matter). THAT I would LOVE to see! If you really can and are not just blowing smoke up my rear, write a book and I WILL buy a bunch of them to hand out!

Tully: You have a reloading machine that can make a lot of loaded cases in a hurry. I fail to see your point. I do too and I expect many here do as well. And... ? You make your own bullets. OK, I fully expect most people here do/have made their own projectiles. OK... and? Sure primers and powder can often last 10-20-30 years. But powders can also go bad after a year or two, yeah it DOES happen. In what way/how does that invalidate what I said? It is fairly easy to make .45-120 case a variety of ways right at home with a few simple tools. I can, probably many others here can. I fail to see your point here either, if you have one, please tell me. I REALLY AM interested in finding out what it is.

OK, we get to the crux of what I said. You said that the cases you buy will last 5-7 loadings and then they need to to dumped. OK, while in a fire fight you are not going to be picking them up, so those are lost. Then they will get lost, bent, cracked. or otherwise be less than usable for no known reason. Heck, even NEW cases age harden sitting there, and will crack necks, split, or separate when fired when they get old enough or due to environmental reasons. So, you state no ammo for gun=club, exactly what I said. After the cases are gone.... what? Then what will you do?

Sure there is battle field scrounging, how much ammo does anyone think that will get them? Especially if the enemy owns the battle field? Is it the right cartridge, or even caliber, for you to use? Ever tried to reuse a primer from an unfired military cartridge? Sure it can be done, but it ain't easy. Try it then post how you did it if is it was so easy, I'd love to find a simple, easy way to do it. If I can get a few REAL WORLD examples of ANY of this from people, then I would LOVE to hear it, but just internet "I heard.... I think (which would be a surprise to most readers here)... I never did it but.... " not so much. Theory is great, actually doing it is hard. I'd like to hear doing it from someone who has. Especially if it is easier than I do it.

Last edited: Jan 14, 2016
  3. Tully Mars

Tully Mars Metal weldin' monkey

I honestly won't be around long enough for to use up all the cases I have stored. The last time I bought cases was a small purchase @ 100 pounds from a local business. Time before that was I think just over 3,000 pounds of brass. I'm on a vendors list that require End User Certificates. When I say I buy in bulk, I mean bulk. I can swedge/cast and jacket my own bullets for all the calibres I currently own and have stocks of material that again, will out last me. Powder/primers are my only weakness, and again I believe I have enough to last my lifetime even if I were to quit buying today-and I've no intention of doing so.

My point is quite simple.
    If a person doesn't want to use their favorite weapon as a friggin club, stock enough components so you will never have to...

4. mysterymet

mysterymet Monkey+++

I am not attacking anyone. I am saying different people have different skill sets and just because you don't have the skill set and equipment needed to manufacture ammo cases does not mean that no one but an ammo plant can make a case. I have PM'd Melbo and if he agrees to play referee then I will email him some pics and descriptions of how we did it. I am not here to teach people how to do it because odds are most people will not have access to the equipment we used to make it. My point was if I couldn't buy any more cases I have access to tooling and equipment that has been used to fabricate them. I would say some place like where righthand works could probably fabricate some given the tooling drawings. If you have machining and metal forming ability as well as the ability to make your own tools your odds of success go way up. Start with SAAMI site for some basic exterior dimensions but you will also need some new cases to attempt to reverse engineer. Understand that if you use alternate materials besides the usual grade of brass you will need to redesign all thicknesses to compensate. Not all alloys are created equally. Make sure the material you are using for you parts can take the forces that will be acting on it during the firing event.

Tully Mars likes this.
  5. chimo

chimo the few, the proud, the jarhead monkey crowd

I'm gonna repeat myself a bit, but I think it bears repeating. Just taxing or outlawing ammo isn't going to be a huge problem...as long as ammo is being manufactured, we'll have sources to get, one way or another, ammo and/or components. Heroin is illegal...does anybody think I'd have a problem getting some if I was a junkie? They tax the living crap out of cigarettes...is there a cigarette shortage?

Now if SHTF and nobody is making ammunition...yeah we got a problem...but everybody is gonna have the same problem, except for those who can manufacture their own ammo from scratch...ya'll are gonna be a popular bunch.

But in reality, unless I am spending my days getting into long, intense, fire fights (which is NOT the plan, knock on wood), the ammo and components I already have will probably outlast me.

mysterymet, Tully Mars and oldawg like this.
  6. melbo

melbo Hunter Gatherer Administrator Founding Member

Confirmed legit (and very impressive)
    I saw pictures and setup although they cannot be shared publicly at this time.

Tully Mars, Sapper John and kellory like this.
  7. kellory

kellory An unemployed Jester, is nobody's fool. Banned

Put me on the list for post SHTF;)

survivalmonkey SSL seal        survivalmonkey.com warrant canary
17282WuJHksJ9798f34razfKbPATqTq9E7