New: H3N2 virus.....

Discussion in 'Survival Medicine' started by dragonfly, Nov 24, 2011.

1. Kajungizmo

Kajungizmo Monkey+++

I'm a firm believer in letting the body deal with infections naturally. I'm not, however, so foolish to believe that it can't benefit now and again from a little help. I tend to stay away from flu shots and the like. Some vaccines have proven useful and I don't mind getting them. I guess what it boils down to is, how much am I willing to suffer if I get sick from one of these "bugs". (I'm pretty hard-headed, according to my wife, so I guess I'll suffer more than most.)

2. Avarice

Avarice California Health Junkie

Give your body everything it needs to fight a virus or bacteria and make yourself stronger in the long term. It's important to kill these things yourself, not with the help of pharmaceuticals. That said, there is a difference between life saving medical care and a holistic approach.

3. Seawolf1090

Seawolf1090 Retired Curmudgeonly IT Monkey Founding Member

Yep, I am a firm believer in prevention, and building up my own immunizing factors through proper nutrition and supplements. I have never had to go on prescription drugs (am now 54 years old), and I mean to put it off as long as I can. When TSHTF, those drugs will be GONE!!

4. hedger

hedger Monkey+

Scientists: "Look what we can do!"

Apparently, two groups of scientists (one group in the USA and one in Europe) have been able to create new strains of flu that can be transmitted via airborne means.

I have also read that such new strains, lacking any base of immunity, could mean mortality rates as high as 60%.

Someone needs to counsel those fine scientists that, "Just because you can do something does not mean that you should go ahead and do it."

tulianr likes this.
  5. mysterymet

mysterymet Monkey+++

I am a firm beliver in most vaccines besides the flu vaccine. I think if you are into it then getting the he vaccines, mmr and dpt are good things to get before shtf. I have had so many vaccines courtesy of uncle sam i am a proud member of the pin cushion club. With that being said i have a friend who had a bad reaction to the smallpox vaccine. He spent a while in the hospital from it but has now fully recovered. (took about 6 months)

6. Avarice

Avarice California Health Junkie

Vaccines kill people, injure them, and maim them for life. If I had the choice, I would not have been given vaccines as a child. Sure, it's a risk, but so is taking the vaccine. I'll take my chances with survival of the fittest.

7. mysterymet

mysterymet Monkey+++

Let's be honest here. SOME vaccines can kill or injure SOME people. Not all vaccines or all people. Survival of the fittest doesn't only apply to physical attributes. Personally, I want my immune system to work smarter not harder.

alaskachick and tulianr like this.
  8. alaskachick

alaskachick A normally quiet snow monkey

catching up

As an RN one of the first things we learn how to do is wash our hands. Falcon's post on handling bedding is spot on. Personally, I also had to learn NOT to chew on my pen or pencil. Besides not having any usable nutrients, you should see what you can culture off of them ;)

9. weegrannymush

weegrannymush Monkey+

When I was young, I had to go through all the now preventable childhood diseases (measles, German measles, scarlet fever, mumps, whooping cough), and had a bout of hepatitis which nearly killed me (from unhygienically prepared restaurant food). I watched my little cousin die from diphtheria and saw another cousin become stone deaf because of complications from measles. I also went through the trauma of smallpox epidemics. Then I came to Canada, started a family and lived in fear of polio.....all before vaccinations became routine or even available.

Later generations who have had the benefit of vaccinations but have not had the experience of epidemics probably cannot fully appreciate the incredible benefits they and their children are receiving. I know there are occasional bad reactions to injections but considering the huge number of lives saved and complications prevented, they are a small price to pay. Count your blessings, folks!

1. Ganado
  2. Ganado
  3. oil pan 4
  4. oil pan 4
  5. HK_User
  6. john316
  7. HK_User
  8. OldDude49
  9. DKR
  10. Motomom34
  11. sdr
  12. Motomom34