I've been following the ubitx transceiver kit development for a while now. Decided it's time to assemble one. Looks like the latest version has more of the kinks worked out of it. It's still a bare bones radio but adding mods and tweaking it is part of the attraction for me. For people not familiar with the radio here's the description from µBITX – HF SIGNALS The µBITX is a general coverage HF SSB/CW transceiver kit with features you NEED for operating ease, convenience and versatility. It works from 3 MHz to 30 MHz, with up to 10 watts on SSB and CW with a very sensitive receiver. It features digital tuning, dual VFOs, RIT, CW Keyer and more. Personally I think the general coverage ssb receiver aspect is worth the price alone. Having it transmit is an added bonus. Never understood the desire for some operators to use QRP ( low power ). I guess its the challenge. I find it difficult enough with 100 watts. The ubitx will defiantly help to hone my antenna building skills. Anyway here's some of the build pics... Here's what arrived in about 10 days from India for $149. I've done enough research on the unit before I purchased it to understand what I was getting into. First thing was to build a case. People get very creative in choosing a case for it. Plastic boxes, old wood radio cases. Even ammo cans. I still haven't decided what will be the final home for it so I figured i'd just build something out of metal for now. Metal is the recommend material. Was having a hard time finding a usable metal case the right size or even the metal sheets I could use to make one. Finally found an old file cabinet for free. Cut it up. Bent with a homemade jig. Cut down a few of the cabinet drawer guides to use as brackets and screwed it together. The next weekend, before I cut the holes on the front panel, I decided to make a faceplate. Figured I didn't stand a chance of cutting the holes nice enough to look good. The plastic is from a cheap 5 piece tub surround I had lying around. Not very pretty. Used contact paper and tape as a template for the faceplate. Mounting the board and display took some time. I had to add some longer screws to the standoffs to set the board higher to allow clearance for the front sockets. I didn't want to drill a bunch of holes for the internal speaker so I decided to cut up an old cb case. The cb was a dead AM only radio. Installed the rest of the components and wired it up. Used the template to cut the plastic faceplate. I didn't cut the wires as short as possible or twist them like the instructions said. I am planning to mount it in a different case some day and didn't want to cut them. When I powered it up using an AC adapter I immediately understood the reasoning behind the twisted short wire thing. Hum was bad enough I switched to a 12v battery. Microphone was next. This was a challenge. Went great until I realised my mistake. Do you see it? This is it. I decided to assemble it using all the included parts that came with the kit. It will give me an idea of the basic stock configuration so when I start adding/changing stuff around I'll have something to go from. As soon as I change this design around a bit I'll print this out on some plastic self adhesive stock. So... After playing around on it for a while I have to say the receiver is very sensitive. I compared it to my other radios and it does a great job. The tuning dial takes some getting used to. The faster you turn the faster it steps up or down exponentially. Easy to go to far fast. LIke I said i wired it up according to the instructions so it tunes up when you turn left and down going right. Not sure why they would do that. Probably will be my first mod/fix. Pressing the tuning knob brings up the menu. When I first fired it up the audio was very distorted. The calibration on the menu fixed that. I use a pair of amplified computer speakers for the audio. Without AGC I wouldn't dare use headphones. That's a priority mod. I haven't transmitted yet. Probably won't until I can figure out how to hook it up to a spectrum display. I need to see if the harmonics/spurs are fixed in this build version. Probably the greatest fun so far, aside from building it, has been the amount of learning I've done. Being a licensed ham radio operator doesn't necessarily mean you know anything about how transceivers work. Lately I've been researching homemade antenna designs. Looks like a random wire and a multiband dipole are the 2 I'll build. I didn't want to use a factory built tuner so I did some checking on how to make a tuner. I was surprised on how simple they can be. Also didn't realise how many different designs there are. So much to learn. If your just getting started in amateur radio and want a good first radio i suggest buying a factory made one. I really enjoy my little ubitx though. Great to learn on.