New Kel-Tec KSG 15 Round Shotgun

Discussion in 'Firearms' started by 2BrothersAdventures, Jan 20, 2011.

1. franks71vw

franks71vw Monkey+++

Interesting design no detachable mag needed and pump to...

2. Hispeedal2

Hispeedal2 Nay Sayer

Very cool. And that's coming from a guy that really doesn't like anything Kel-Tec. This one looks like a potential winner.

3. Brokor

Brokor Live Free or Cry Moderator Site Supporter+++ Founding Member

Yeah, if you are willing to pay $800 for it...

I think I will wait for the slightly used version to come out for around $400.

4. kckndrgn

kckndrgn Monkey+++ Moderator Emeritus Founding Member

Very interesting indeed. If he said retail was $800, chances are you'll find it for less.

I would like to see some real-world tests with it.

5. Brokor

Brokor Live Free or Cry Moderator Site Supporter+++ Founding Member

Retail (MSRP) last I checked was expected to be $880.00, that's why I said $800.

6. Pax Mentis

Pax Mentis Philosopher King |RIP 11-4-2017

Just curious...have you ever shot the Sub2000?

I have 2 Sub2000s and a PLR-16 and over the past couple of years have become a fan of Kel-Tec innovation.

I'll probably at least try out the new shotgun. I love my Saiga 12, but something smaller and lighter definitely has a place in my gun room.

7. Disciple

Disciple Monkey+

Better get it when it comes out cause if obama gets his wish, you wont even get to buy it used.

8. Seawolf1090

Seawolf1090 Retired Curmudgeonly IT Monkey Founding Member

I too have no love for Kel-Tec - and I have shot their Sub2000 and compact handguns. The SU-16 ain't bad, but not as a 'survival gun'.
    I have seen two of their handguns fail catastrophically, as backup pieces for cops - luckily at the range, not on duty!

BUT..... I do rather like this shotgun. I will consider it seriously once I read some range reports.
    They are coming out with a Carbine to complement the PMR30 .22WMR pistol (another couple K-T's I find interesting).
    It seems their designers have finally come of age.

9. Hispeedal2

Hispeedal2 Nay Sayer

This is my exact experience. I never owned or even fired one. I saw at least 4 come back to a gun shop I frequented in college. All four were bought at differing periods (ie not off the assy line at the same time) and all four had cracked rails. None of the shooters were hurt, although slides popping off could potentially be bad. I have heard a lot of Kel-Tec owners rave over their carry piece. I have a suspicion that they have not had a large firing schedule.

My thoughts exactly.

I have not fired the SU16. I suspect that it won't handle combat-like conditions from the bit of handling I have given them. A poor man's .223, maybe. Given the choice, if an AR is out of reach, I would rather have a Mini-14. They can be found used at prices similar to a new SU16. The whole compact storage thing isn't of much use IMHO. Lightweight = light use.

10. Pax Mentis

Pax Mentis Philosopher King |RIP 11-4-2017

To each his or her own...I have no interest in selling you guys on Kel-Tecs...and I wouldn't carry one of their pistols.

I have (or had, before the accident) some AKs, a few ARs, Glocks, Rugers, Rossis, a Henry or two and a few Colt and S&W revolvers...and a couple of Sub2Ks.

Over the past year and a half, I have most certainly put more rounds through the Subbies than anything else I own...and friends who shoot here are always wanting to "play" with them...they are just so darn much fun.

Would I want to use one as a main battle rifle? No...but one sleeps next to my bed with a 33 rd mag and one mostly lives in my truck in a laptop case with 3 33 rounders.

Lightweight, fits in a briefcase, plenty accurate out to 50-75 yards, packs a decent punch and always goes bang...at $300 each, that works for me.

Of course...YMMV

[beer]

11. Seawolf1090

Seawolf1090 Retired Curmudgeonly IT Monkey Founding Member

Ditto on the Sub2000 reliability, accuracy and ability to digest ANY ammo.

BUT..... the ergonomics are atrocious. Stock pull length is far too short, not only for my Greyback-like arms but my short buddy who owns it finds it too short for comfort. We both find the Hi-Point Carbine a better fit, and just as reliable and accurate.
    However, if 'bugging out' by motorcycle or hiking, it's folding could be of use - though by losing the optical sight necessary to offset the horrid iron sights.
    As you say - YMMV.
    I like this shotgun though - it'll be heavy with 15 rounds loaded, but will be very handy! Could make a great 'truck gun'.
    Also, think of having buckshot in one tube and slugs in the other - very versatile!

12. Maxflax

Maxflax Lightning in a bottle

I like the fact that they are trying new ideas but there's two words that scare me away

Kel Tec

13. kckndrgn

kckndrgn Monkey+++ Moderator Emeritus Founding Member

Sea, during my 3 1/2 years working at a gun range I witnessed a few failures of firearms. Non were Kel-Tec's. If my memory serves me right it was 2 glocks, 1 kimber 1911, 2 Sig's, 2 Springfield XD's, and 2 revolvers (one S&W one Ruger). These were just the "catastrophic" failures. Had many guns get broken springs and the easiest to fix were the glocks & 1911's.

I'm only saying this to say that any gun can fail.

Like I said earlier, show me some torture tests on this SG and I might consider it, until then, it's nice to look at and admire.

14. Witch Doctor 01

Witch Doctor 01 Mojo Maker

what is the choke like.... is it rifled, cylindrical, modified, imporoved, interchangable? enquiring minds want to know... It sounds like a good zombie killing shotgun and not a necessarily a good survival gun.... buck and slugs are great for big game and 2 legged varmits... but most of the game in my area would be harvested with a smaller shot... dove, quail, goose, duck, rabbits, and fuzzy tailed rats....

15. fedorthedog

fedorthedog Monkey+++

I have a p32 keltec I carry as a back up it is great for what it is and a number of guys carry them. I also have had the only failure issue of the group the main spring in the grip failed when the frame broke where the pin is retained. I will let you know what they do with this when I get it back. I am looking at there folding 9mmcarbine for the wife to use thoughts.

16. Wolfgang2000

Wolfgang2000 Monkey++

My wife and I both carry the Kel-Tec 32 as bugs. Mine has a serial number under 5000, so you can see I've had it a while. Mine did break it's trigger pivot pin other than paying for shipping they fixed it for free.

I've recently bought a Kel-Tec sub 2000 9mm Glock 19 mag. I've only had it a short while so I haven't shot it a lot. But so far it's done great. It's main advantage is it's folded size and weight.

survivalmonkey SSL seal        survivalmonkey.com warrant canary
17282WuJHksJ9798f34razfKbPATqTq9E7