New member from Southwestern PA/WV area

Discussion in 'New Member Introductions' started by IceRanger, Mar 31, 2020.

1. IceRanger

IceRanger Intellectus Refuticus

That's a mouthful, and sadly right on the money. Even more sad; it's a microcosm of the entirety of the country right now.

3M-TA3 likes this.
  2. IceRanger

At least they didn't get the whole state, it seems, and thank goodness for it.

I grew up in Maryland, in the only part of that state that hasn't seemingly gone pseudo-commie. Even that area is now being overrun by those trying to escape the situations they themselves caused, who are now causing the same problems for native Western Marylanders.

3M-TA3 likes this.
  3. SB21

SB21 Monkey+++

Welcome from NC. Maybe the rest of the country should require commiefornians to have a passport to enter anyplace outside of commiefornias borders ,,, and be subject to entry into other AO's by authorization only.

IceRanger and 3M-TA3 like this.
  4. IceRanger

Tell me how sad it is that we've come to such a point in this country where we'd talk about that and actually be serious. Because like it or not (and I don't), I've seriously pondered that very question. Given the state of the state of California (specifically, though others could be considered too) I honestly think it may be time to weigh the options for splitting it off from the rest of the country.

We aren't the "United" States of America any longer. That saddens me, but I suppose change is constant.

SB21 likes this.
  5. Srchdawg-again

Srchdawg-again Monkey++

Hey IceRanger welcome from a 1.5 hour south of ya in the hillbilly hang around and learn or teach whatcha know

IceRanger likes this.
  6. Yard Dart

Yard Dart Vigilant Monkey Moderator

Welcome to the Monkey @IceRanger !!!
    Up here in the Pacific NW, we guard against the evil Seattleites... they are truly evil..... [patr]

Srchdawg-again and IceRanger like this.
  7. BTPost

BTPost Stumpy Old Fart,Deadman Walking, Snow Monkey Moderator

Some of us were smart enough to DeA$$, from Seattle, 40+ years ago... and never looked back...

techsar, IceRanger and Yard Dart like this.
  8. Yard Dart

Yard Dart Vigilant Monkey Moderator

If I had a job in the woods of AK that kept me comfortable.... I would jump as well.....:)

9. IceRanger

I very nearly bought property about an hour and a half south of me, in the hillbilly heaven of West Virginia (and I'm talking true hillbilly territory--roads that swallow Hondas, and all that). I kinda wish now that I had.

I can't say I would have "fit right in", but honestly, I would have. I grew up in the rural mountains, worked on a farm, hunted, fished. I'm a citified redneck, or a redneck-ified city boy. It depends which group you're talking to. But as long as it's not the "big city" types, I get along fine and for the most part fit in nicely.

Thanks for the welcome.

techsar likes this.
  10. Srchdawg-again

Srchdawg-again Monkey++

The largest City in the state is Charleston and the last count I had on pop. was just under
    50,000 pretty small by some standards. My closest city is 5500 so we are a rural area. We could have possibly been neighbors it is a small world and getting smaller.

IceRanger likes this.
  11. IceRanger

The property I almost bought--and would have, if it hadn't been all hill and rock--was located virtually right beside Holly River State Park, in a tiny place called Hacker Valley. There wasn't even a legitimate TOWN within 50 miles...which is exactly why I liked it. But the parcel itself just wasn't right. I'd still consider it now, but I already bought my small plot that's still twenty minutes from any real population and ten minutes from any real town...an hour or so from Pittsburgh, which is the nearest city and still not overly large in comparison to the NYC/Chicago/LA standard.

I can be in Morgantown, WV in less than half an hour, and grew up living just a few miles from West Virginia on two different borders, working in Kingwood and in Preston County for years...so I consider myself an honorary WV citizen.

chelloveck likes this.
  12. duane

duane Monkey+++

• Welcome to the Monkey. Always surprised that Penn touches WV, Il has both Chicago and touches Ky and Wi. In a lot of places now the gap between urban areas and rural areas, as in NH, mask any other regional effects.

survivalmonkey SSL seal        survivalmonkey.com warrant canary
17282WuJHksJ9798f34razfKbPATqTq9E7