New Off Grid Show

Discussion in 'Off Grid Living' started by ack787, Mar 9, 2016.

Tags:
  1. ack787

ack787 Monkey

I came across this guy and thought he had a neat idea for refrigeration. It's not the fact his fridge is outside (that's nothing new to me). What I like is how he uses his charge controller setup to run the fridge off the solar panels to dump excess power when his batteries are topped off... give it a view and tell me what you think. Also this is a 3 part episode and at the end he talks about campers and a common issue people do.

Last edited: Mar 21, 2016
  2. techsar

techsar Monkey+++

Not a bad idea, but his setup is a disaster waiting to happen.
    Batteries give off explosive gasses,,,
    Relays arc when they make and break a circuit...btw, those cheap 12 volt relays he refers to are NOT rated for 120 volts - they are 12 volt/15 or 20 amp max...
    His wiring is a fire trap...
    If you use his idea, PLEASE make sure you do it safely - unlike him!

chelloveck and Motomom34 like this.
  3. BTPost

BTPost Stumpy Old Fart,Deadman Walking, Snow Monkey Moderator

Apparently he is about 20 years behind in Control Technology... I would be using Logic Level Solid State Switches (Optically Isolated Thyristors) for Controlling 120Vac Loads... Yes, his wiring, is a Meltdown waiting to happen.... The logic of mounting the refer in an Outside Wall, is Good... I use that same technology in my Beach Cabin... With good sucess... HIs presentation is, shall we say, less than professional...

chelloveck and ack787 like this.
  4. ack787

ack787 Monkey

for me it was just the concept of running the fridge only off the panels and not the bank when the voltage is topped off. making it as cold as you can before freezing it. audio bothered me can't stand hisses

5. Motomom34

Motomom34 Monkey+++

I agree @ack787 that it is an interesting concept but.... the three monkeys that responded above are our solar guru's these guys know solar and have hands on experience. If you ever decided to set up running a fridge off of panels, I know Tech, Sloth & BT would give you solid guidance.

chelloveck, ack787 and ghrit like this.
  6. chelloveck

chelloveck Diabolus Causidicus

That's what I like about this site....the breadth and depth of knowledge in this site....I am sure that if I were to road test a DIY guillotine as a practice subject, I can be assured of no shortage of suggested improvements ;)

Can anyone help me with a solar powered off-grid electric chair project that I am working on? I want an old sparky that won't have too large an environmental footprint.

Last edited: Mar 10, 2016
    Ganado likes this.
  7. ack787

ack787 Monkey

idk now i talked to the guy ... imo you guys should too as for me i am a 4th year electricapprentice 6 years electrical and i saw ur woes of his connections... but he could say you have 24 years no power/electricity bills.... turns out this guy is legit... and his wiring atm he showed was temp. just saying that much.... see his show and comment on his vids this guy will answer (he is good for it).

Ganado and Motomom34 like this.
  8. ack787

ack787 Monkey

New Episode:

Ganado likes this.
  9. ack787

ack787 Monkey

1. Navyair
  2. Cwmoore
  3. CrazyJs
  4. Asia-Off-Grid
  5. Asia-Off-Grid