new one for sale

Discussion in 'Blades' started by monkeyman, Sep 25, 2005.

1. monkeyman

monkeyman Monkey+++ Moderator Emeritus Founding Member

Well heres the knife Ive been working on. It measures 9 inches over all length with a 5 inch blade thats 1 3/8 inch from edge to spine and 1/8 inch thick. The steel is O-1 tool steel, that has been heat treated to harden and temper. The handle is made of hedge that is over 80 years seasoned. The handle is not sealed and will darken as it ages, the picture with the 2 knives shows a bit of what you can expect in the darkening of the handle as the darker one is of the same wood and is about 2 weeks older. It will darken to a deep chocolate with nice grain.
    Im asking $125 or best offer for this knife.

Picture resizing by melbo™
    spine_142_162. mark_942_155. date_132_176. belly_698_800. balance_740_303. 100_0101_184_177.

2. Valkman

Valkman Knifemaker Moderator Emeritus Founding Member

Looks good - what are you grinding the edge with?

3. monkeyman

Im useing a file to get the full shape then polishing it up with a belt sander and finishing it off to 600 grit with sand paper by hand. The only grinder I have is the old wheel type bench grinder and I only use it to help shape the blank and smooth it up on what I cant do with the hacksaw. Hopefuly by the first of the year I can get a belt grinder.

4. Valkman

Valkman Knifemaker Moderator Emeritus Founding Member

5. E.L.

E.L. Moderator of Lead Moderator Emeritus Founding Member

Looks good.

6. monkeyman

I saw one at the Farm and Home store here of different brand but similar design that was like $150, that I MIGHT be able to do by the first of the year, $400 would have to wait untill I could pay for it from knives sold.
    Thanks.

7. monkeyman

Ok folks if your intrested in this one make me an offer. Boss hasnt called me all week for work again and we're getting to the end of the month so if you make an offer even if its not what Im asking you just may be getting a knife.

survivalmonkey SSL seal        survivalmonkey.com warrant canary
17282WuJHksJ9798f34razfKbPATqTq9E7