New pigs 100th Litter in this farrowing shed.

Discussion in 'Back to Basics' started by Thunder5Ranch, Feb 14, 2017.

Tags:
  1. Thunder5Ranch

Thunder5Ranch Monkey+++

People make things more complicated than they need to be when it comes to hogs and farrowing. They need a dry, wind free, well bedded area and they don't care how nice it looks. In fact the nicer it looks the more effort they seem to put into tearing it up. Here is about as basic of a farrowing shed as you can get in the video. And last nights litter makes #100 in this shed. Made it from junk wood and scrap tin 9 years ago, and a lot of sows and piglets have rotated in and out of it since then.

Zimmy, Mindgrinder, Sgt Nambu and 8 others like this.
  2. Aeason

Aeason Monkey

Way to go! Keep making bacon.

3. ditch witch

ditch witch I do stupid crap, so you don't have to

BACON SEEDS!!!

4. azrancher

azrancher Monkey +++

Do you have a problem with the Sow accidentally squishing them?

Rancher

Seepalaces, Airtime, techsar and 3 others like this.
  5. Thunder5Ranch

Thunder5Ranch Monkey+++

Pasture farrowing I do, really depends on the sow though. This girl has never smashed one. Her sister will plop down and smash a whole litter and could care less. Sister goes into a shed with smash boards on either side and piglet area with heat lamps to keep them away from her. Lose more to rain and cold pasture farrowing than anything else, and losing mom and wandering away from the nest. Only reason I let Sandy (This one) farrow outside is it was warmer and no rain.

6. azrancher

azrancher Monkey +++

Do pigs sweat, or is that why they like mud/water holes?

Zimmy, Thunder5Ranch and Seepalaces like this.
  7. Thunder5Ranch

Thunder5Ranch Monkey+++

No they do not sweat and yes mud, water, shade, wallow holes all replace the non ability to sweat to regulate body temp. Also why leaner breed are better suited to hot arid areas and fat packers are better suited to Northern climates. Mud serves a dual purpose in the light skinned pigs and acts as sunscreen. You ain't met a cranky hog until you have met a white one with a sun burn :) Most domestic pigs have a body temp of 102.5 which also helps with dealing with hot days.

Zimmy likes this.
  1. Alanaana
    Uploaded by: Alanaana, Nov 27, 2023, 0 comments, in album: Alana's_Adventures
  2. Alanaana
  3. Alanaana
  4. Alanaana
    Media

Got pigs?

Uploaded by: Alanaana, Nov 26, 2023, 0 comments, in album: Alana's_Adventures
  5. Alanaana
  6. Alanaana
  7. Alanaana
  8. Alanaana
    Media

Pig_family

Uploaded by: Alanaana, Nov 22, 2023, 0 comments, in album: Alana's_Adventures
  9. Alanaana
    Media

Pigs

Uploaded by: Alanaana, Nov 22, 2023, 0 comments, in album: Alana's_Adventures
  10. Alanaana
  11. Alanaana
    But first coffee.
    Uploaded by: Alanaana, Mar 24, 2023, 0 comments, in album: Alana's_Adventures
  12. Alanaana
  13. Alanaana
    This is Lavinia!
    Uploaded by: Alanaana, Mar 14, 2023, 4 comments, in album: Alana's_Adventures
  14. Alanaana
    Media

Pig

It was the 1st hog I caught in my snare!
    Uploaded by: Alanaana, Mar 14, 2023, 0 comments, in album: Alana's_Adventures
  15. Alanaana
  16. Alanaana
  17. Yard Dart
  18. Yard Dart
  19. Benjamin A. Wood
  20. Benjamin A. Wood
survivalmonkey SSL seal        survivalmonkey.com warrant canary
17282WuJHksJ9798f34razfKbPATqTq9E7