New Pistol

Discussion in 'Firearms' started by Seacowboys, Sep 18, 2008.

1. Seacowboys

Seacowboys Senior Member Founding Member

I just picked up a tweaked Taurus PT1911 in .45 acp. I am about to wrap some Pachmyers around it and a Wilson- Combat mag-well. It was tweaked by a decent smith so the trigger is a crisp 2lbs with no creep. It has the tritium sights (Ball over ball), extended mag release, ambidexterous safety, cheakered main-spring housing, and a stainless match barrel and bushing. The extended beavertail has a knurl that seems to be designed to release the grip safety quicker. I dumped a few mags through it out in the back yard and chewed my stump up so it seems to hit where it's pointed. I think I'll shoot it at my Tuesday night IPSC match next week.
    STtaurus_080505F.

2. ghrit

ghrit Bad company Administrator Founding Member

How did the tweaks on the 1911 work out?

3. Seacowboys

Problem solved. I place 9th over-all with it last week but my hits were all alpha except for two no-shoots (25 yard head shots that my tired old eyes couldn't see that I was bumping the white).

4. E.L.

E.L. Moderator of Lead Moderator Emeritus Founding Member

Nice, they shoot well.

5. gunbunny

gunbunny Never Trust A Bunny

That seems to be the concensus... A friend of mine liked his so much that he is selling his Colt Officer's Model in favor of the Taurus PT1911. I thought he was nuts, but he says he never gets the Colt out of the safe anymore. I haven't had the chance to try it yet, but I will at some point.

6. Seacowboys

I just put a Wilson-combat magazine well and a set of Colt Gold-cup rubber wrap-around grips on it and went to the range for a bit. It does shoot well and I like it a lot.

7. bladefrenzy

bladefrenzy Monkey+++

I've never heard a bad word about Taurus at all. I' m glad they came out with one, now maybe I can afford to get another 1911, sold the pair I had when I got married, really wish I hadn't.

8. weapons_762

weapons_762 Monkey+++

hey Sea , any idea how many rounds have been put though that taurus? before you got it? and about how many rounds do you shoot per match? i have seen a few of those around here, and i'm thinking about getting another .45

9. Seacowboys

This weapon had only a couple hundred rounds through it but I will be putting a hundred through it every Tuesday night at my match.

10. weapons_762

weapons_762 Monkey+++

ok , thanks for the info. no problems so far?

11. Seacowboys

It appears to be a quality made pistol with a forged receiver and slide. The fit is better than either of my Kimbers I am really impressed with this little gun. I also picked up a 1991 Colt 1911 and the Taurus is hands-down a better weapon.

12. magnus392

magnus392 Field Marshall Mags Moderator Emeritus Founding Member

Great info. I haven't heard much about the PT1911's.

13. Seacowboys

I didn't place as well at the IPSC match as I generally do with my favorite pistol. My time was a little faster but my hits were way down. The dot over dot sight picture takes some getting used to; I kept dropping the blade ball down into the notch. The trigger is around 4 lbs and my match pistol is 2.5 so that needs a little work. It is a good crisp trigger with little creep but needs the fine stone to make it sweet. My new 80 series Colt can't touch it for accuracy, feeding, finish, in fact, can't touch it at all except for the Colt name and twice the price.

14. weapons_762

weapons_762 Monkey+++

thanks for the update Sea

survivalmonkey SSL seal        survivalmonkey.com warrant canary
17282WuJHksJ9798f34razfKbPATqTq9E7