New power source

Discussion in 'Off Grid Living' started by Nadja, Oct 6, 2010.

1. Nadja

Nadja RIP 3-11-2013 Forum Leader

2. Witch Doctor 01

Witch Doctor 01 Mojo Maker

3. bnmb

bnmb On Hiatus Banned

Yup...seen it before...big losses and doesn't work at night...easy to make, but noisy.

4. Quigley_Sharps

Quigley_Sharps The Badministrator Administrator Founding Member

5. Quigley_Sharps

6. Quigley_Sharps

7. wildone_uk

wildone_uk Monkey+

where can i get one

8. Nadja

A friend of mine came across this last night. He wants to make a much bigger one and see if by gearing it right can make it run a small generator. Just playing around with other ways to produce electricity. This one is way to small and the gearing would have to be much different, but who knows ? Thanks Quigley Sharps

9. Seacowboys

Seacowboys Senior Member Founding Member

There are commercially available industrial sized stirling generators. THe is a hospital in Tel Aviv that runs entirely on one.

10. Quigley_Sharps

11. dragonfly

dragonfly Monkey+++

I'm still researching the gassifier systems.....

12. Nadja

Thanks Seacowboys, I just sent a link you provided to my friend who is considering building one for individule use and for sale to the gen. public. We will have to wait and see what happens with it.

13. ghrit

ghrit Bad company Administrator Founding Member

Bump. Do we know anyone that has a sterling engine in use? Looks like it might be a way to charge batteries when the sun goes down, especially if there is some heat available, say from a wood stove or furnace.

14. Maxflax

Maxflax Lightning in a bottle

15. Kingfish

Kingfish Self Reliant

This is a very interesting little engine. With advanced machining, good bearings and such one of these would run 24/7 off a wood fired heat exchanger. You keep the tube ends red hot and that baby will run and run. It would need to have at least say 10 or 12 hp to run a house generator. Kingfish

16. Kingfish

Kingfish Self Reliant

17. BigZ

BigZ Monkey+++

Has anyone ever heard of running a generator off a big clock spring? If that were doable I've got a way to wind it

survivalmonkey SSL seal        survivalmonkey.com warrant canary
17282WuJHksJ9798f34razfKbPATqTq9E7