New Preamble to the Constitution

Discussion in 'Freedom and Liberty' started by tacmotusn, Oct 29, 2009.

1. tacmotusn

tacmotusn RIP 1/13/21

Yes that is my response! As to who you should vote for, well no one if you are not informed as to the issues and who and what the candidates are. You vote for who you will feel will best represent you in Washington. Today I would probably say, anyone except the incumbent. But, in truth, it's hard deciding at times. No candidate is perfect for sure.
    Thanks for editing your post. the name calling and swear words really were a bit much.

2. annie

annie Monkey+++

Did I miss something, or is this a private JOKE ?

3. Brokor

Brokor Live Free or Cry Moderator Site Supporter+++ Founding Member

Some people are physically wounded by swear words. It may very well be quite real, Annie.

4. annie

annie Monkey+++

Brokor, while I don't agree with ALL that you said, the ''self Christian'' attitude is one that i can relate to. Thank you for posting, and allowing MM an opportunity to address several important issues.

MM, Thank you very much for a great post, transliteration, is a new term to me and I had been unaware of the Kings desire for a divorce and the need to quiet some of his subjects, if i got that correctly.

really neat exchanges. Prayers for one and all.

5. Tango3

Tango3 Aimless wanderer

[applaud]

YouTube- Monty Python - Always Look on the Bright Side of Life

6. Ivan

Ivan Monkey++

In the not so recent past, the United States was something like 97% Christian and 2% Jewish. to not be Jewish or Christian was to very literally be nothing. Separation of Church and state could be ignored to an extent(the government did not prefer any one christian sect to any other but it was implicitly and occasionally explicitly a Christian government.) Today, the United States has either a majority or plurality of Christians depending how you reckon the numbers. It can no longer be an explicitly christian nation and expound the notion of religious freedom because there are now a great many people who aren't christian. Therefore the Judeo-Christian clique either must be purged from government or forcibly make itself absolute once more. History is against the theocrats in this, therefore the question is how complete will the purge be? What parts of Christianity's stamp upon the government are harmful to religious freedom, what parts are begnin, what parts are so deeply entrenched that they have become a part of our shared history and need to be maintained, and what parts are benificial to us all and stand up to reasonable examination in and of themselves?

Everyone will have different answers to these questions and the wrangeling over them will take many more decades to settle the issue. Christianity is under attack insomuch as it is the party that must lose ground. Yet it has that ground that it must cede because it itself was on the offense for most of its history. Personally, I am glad that matters of faith are no longer debated with such... finality.

As for voiting, I'm not that big a beliver in it. It is a useful tool for ataining the minimum platform. For fighting the small battles against the bourgeois. Even, possibly, for building a workable transitional platform. It is not however a tool for real systematic change. I do it, but i do not consider it a major part of ataining the political ends that I seek.

7. Tango3

Tango3 Aimless wanderer

Preventing "real systematic change" is exactly what literally has us so up in arms here...Ufortunately reclaiming the liberties bequeathed to us by far better men may entail; some measure of force. There is nothing in the constitution regarding "the separation of church and state": that is a common misconception. I believe it was first mentioned by Jefferson perhaps one of our scholars can confirm that.

The christians will tolerate muslims provided they do no harm and takeup western cultural values in refence to wives and daughters(women arenot property!).. The muslim community wants to install sharia law which eliminates any religious freedom. Allowing this to happen is a turndown a oneway street (a slide all the way to the bottom of the slippery slope).

8. Ivan

Ivan Monkey++

Congress shall make no law respecting an establishment of religion, or prohibiting the free exercise thereof; or abridging the freedom of speech, or of the press; or the right of the people peaceably to assemble, and to petition the Government for a redress of grievances.

it is not explicitly worded, but reading this as "government and church should not mix" is not a wholly unreasonable interpretation of the text.

Yes, modern Christianity is much nicer then much of modern Islam. That is not an excuse to not attempt to make progress. we are measured by the stains upon our own souls, not the lunacy of others.

9. Tango3

Tango3 Aimless wanderer

itsays "congress shall not establish a state religion,not liberals can remove any reference to to the christian faith from fedreral premises...And I don't even consider myself a "practicing christian.."

As for " That is not an excuse to not attempt to make progress. we are measured by the stains upon our own souls, not the lunacy of others.

What you and other leftists consider "progress" is subjective; and not what I consider "progress". take your "progress" right back to to 1600 penn ave.

10. Minuteman

Minuteman Chaplain Moderator Founding Member

Boy, you guys are really making me do my homework. Fortunately I have an extensive library and "Bookmarks" list to fall back on.

It is not my intent to inflame the debate, simply adding clarification.

Besides, Tango asked!

As stated above the founding fathers had come from Europe where only state approved churches were allowed to operate and the people were forced to attend and submit to. The battle between Catholicism and Protestantism had been raging for many centuries prior to the creation of the United States. The founders of this new and radical form of self governance were determined to restrict the state from forcing adherence to any one "Church" or denomination.

Amendment I
    "Congress shall make no law respecting an establishment of religion, or prohibiting the free exercise thereof; or abridging the freedom of speech, or of the press, or the right of the people peaceably to assemble, and to petition the Government for redress of grievances."

1. Words "separation of church and state" are not in the First Amendment.

2. The 56 founding fathers never mentioned even once during the framing of the First Amendment (June 7 - September 25, 1789) a "separation of church and state." (See Congressional Record.)

3. The same day Congress passed the First Amendment (Sept. 25, 1789); they approved a resolution requesting President George Washington to proclaim "...a day of public thanksgiving and prayer...."

4. Thomas Jefferson wrote this phrase, "thus building a wall of separation between church and State...." on January 1, 1802, (11 years after the First Amendment was ratified) in a private letter to the Danbury Baptist Association to assure them that the federal government could not and would not try to establish a national denomination. Jefferson was an ambassador in France during the time of the Constitutional Convention.

However, while President of the United States, Thomas Jefferson was
    also made president of the Washington, DC public school system in which he placed the Bible and the Isaac Watt's hymnal as the two primary reading texts!

Jefferson's phrase was used only twice by the U.S. Supreme Court from 1802 to 1947; and it was not until 1947 (Everson case) that it was taken out of context and given a meaning never intended (first use was 1878 in Reynolds case).

<DIR>"In matters of religion, I have considered that its free exercise is placed by the Constitution independent
    of the powers of the General [federal] Government."

<DIR><DIR>(Thomas Jefferson, 1805, in his second Inaugural Address.)

</DIR>
    "There is not a shadow of right in the general [federal] government to intermeddle with religion....This
    subject is, for the honor of America, perfectly free and unshackled."

<DIR>(The Writings of James Madison, Vol. 5, pp. 176, 132.)

</DIR></DIR></DIR>5. Applies to Congress, not the states.

6. First English language Bible printed in America was by Congress in 1782 "for use of schools."

7. The founding fathers gave speeches, read from the Bible, and prayed at public school graduations.

8. The U.S. Capitol was used as a church building by the founding fathers.

9. Founding father judges had prayer in their court rooms with the jurors.

10. A view from the Washington Monument forms a perfect cross.

The words separation of church and state don't appear in any official government documents authored by the founding fathers. This concept and these particular words were invented by an ACLU attorney named Leo Pfeffer in 1947 in the Supreme Court case of Everson versus Board of Education of Ewing Township. That liberal supreme court imposed it on the nation by a 5 to 4 vote. The ACLU and other anti-Christian organizations and individuals have used it to harass Christians with ever since. It is also used by evolutionists to try to keep a theistic explanation of origins out of the public schools. Many young people today are not aware of the fact that this concept is an ACLU invention, and that it is the extreme opposite of what our founding fathers actually intended. In other words, there is virtually no constitutional support whatsoever for it. Let's examine two of the most common myths about the founding fathers that most public school students are being taught today because of the history revisionists.

Myth #1: Jefferson's letter to the Danbury Baptists is the basis for separation of church and state
    Some misguided people try to claim that this quote from Thomas Jefferson establishes the "separation of church and state" that we now have today:

<DIR>"Believing with you that religion is a matter which lies solely between man and his God; that he owes account to none other for his faith or his worship; that the legislative powers of government reach actions only and not opinions, I contemplate with sovereign reverence that act of the whole American people which declared that their legislature should "make no law respecting an establishment of religion or prohibiting the free exercise thereof," thus building a wall of separation between Church and State". <SUP>1</SUP>

</DIR>The first problem with that assertion is that this quote is not from an official government document. The second is that it was Jefferson's original intent that this meant that the church was to be protected from the government, not the reverse (which is the case today).

27 of the 56 founding fathers had Christian seminary degrees

The Facts
    Of Separation
    Fact: The Constitution does not separate Church and State. The Constitution is Christian but does not speak to religion because it is non-denominational. A Presbyterian state, Anglican state, Con- gregational state, Baptist state and even a Quaker state joined together with other Christian states to establish a Christian nation.

Fact: The Bill of Rights does not separate church and state. The Bill of Rights restricts the Federal government and even the States but not the individual or the church.

So how did this separation of church and state myth originate? In 1947, in the case Everson v. Board of Education, the Supreme Court declared, "The First Amendment has erected a wall between church and state. That wall must be kept high and impregnable. We could not approve the slightest breach."

This faulty idea of separation of church and state does not come from any lawful document but is taken from a letter written by Thomas Jefferson to the Baptist Association of Danbury. Most courts had treated it exactly as it was — a private personal letter.

However, there was one previous court before 1947 that quoted the letter. In 1878 after publishing the entire letter and not just the eight-word phrase the Court stated:

"Coming as this does from an acknowledged leader of the advocates of the measure, it [Jefferson’s letter] may be accepted almost as an authoritative declaration of the scope and effect of the Amendment thus secured. Congress was deprived of all legislative power over mere [religious] opinion, but was left free to reach actions which were in violation of social duties or subversive of good order."

They concluded with these words:

"[T]he rightful purposes of civil government are for its officers to interfere when principles break out into overt acts against peace and good order. In th[is] . . . is found the true distinction between what properly belongs to the church and what to the State."

What the Danbury Baptist and many others were concerned about was the establishment of a state church. The First Amendment was not to keep this from being a Christian nation, keep State governments from promoting Christianity and the Bible but to keep every recognized historical denomination equal. Therefore, one denomination could not gain control and persecute the others.

Chief Justice Rehnquist wrote in is dissent in Wallace v. Jaffree:

"There is simply no historical foundation for the proposition that the Framers intended to build the 'wall of separation' that was constitutionalized in Everson. But the greatest injury of the 'wall' notion is the mischievous diversion of judges from the actual intentions of the drafters of the Bill of Rights.[N]o amount of repetition of historical errors in judicial opinions can make the errors true. The ‘wall of separation between church and state’ is a metaphor based on bad history, a metaphor which has proved useless as a guide to judging. It should be frankly and explicitly abandoned."

The "separation of church and state" in Jefferson’s letter nor the "freedom of religion" in the First Amendment does not advocate secularism nor pluralism. It is a myth which has been designed to remove Christianity from national power.

11. Tango3

Tango3 Aimless wanderer

Wow, thank you Minuteman for your argument and providing historical evidence supporting it. You have once again exceeded expectations.

Uh Ivan?

(Thanks to the historical scholarship of "wiki minuteman" the ball is now squarely in your court. Perhaps you would prefer to take this leftist revisionist history crap to where it is more roundly accepted "as gospel"?( no pun intended)..

Screw it, I believe minuteman has cleared up this question beyond debate. I heard (on the internet no less) there's life outside my home office door, perhaps an expedition is in order today..

12. Brokor

Brokor Live Free or Cry Moderator Site Supporter+++ Founding Member

To be fair, I completely agree with MM's post -but bear in mind that not all of our forefathers were of the same mind as Jefferson. There were quite a few who fought tooth and nail to have just that single phrase included in the constitution, which by all measures DOES limit the government from establishing a religious base for control.

The general idea was to not stand in the way of the individual's freedom of religion without granting any similar privilege to the government at the same time. If, for instance, the *majority* were to ever conceive that their religion must become mandatory prerequisite for inclusion to a political party *cough conservatives*, then the power of religious conviction will certainly make any logical debate (i.e., there is no God unless you can prove it, as I cannot disprove a negative) useless. Added to this, the religious-political movements would undoubtedly grant their political masters extreme power to do whatever they choose (Bush Dynasty) without accountability.

Thank you 700 Club and Pat Robertson for proving beyond a shadow of a doubt just how controlling your brainwashing schemes really can become, and how it managed to win Slavery, Incorporated the White House on at least two occasions thus far.

Weep for your nation, People.

13. Ivan

Ivan Monkey++

ah, but i do not disagree with the gist of his argument. at the time America was wholly christian. of course the intent was originally that the government not establish a particular denomination.

would the founding fathers would have worded it differently if demographics had been different? no idea. Id like to ask them, but that'd be a long trip and i'm not sure i could find my way back.

Is the now not-insignificant population of non-Christians is entitled to the same protections against establishment of an official religion? courts have neigh universally ruled, and people in general mostly agree, that yes they are.

the next question is, how many teachings of a particular religion must the gov enforce before it starts being establishment of an official religion? I imagine this is the point where we stop agreeing.

also, revisionist? how did you know i was a Trotsky fan?[lolol]

14. Tango3

Tango3 Aimless wanderer

The point I jumped was the "separation of church and state"being a constitutional precept.
    I don't believe christian religious ideas are protected at the cost of other communities.I do believe christian ideas are currently singled out for attack by the "left".

The topic has become sufficiently vacuuous I'm gonna need some help here,
    I would ask what religious oppression are you pointing out as the offense here?
    What "teachings" does the govt. enforce???
    I don't believe having a muslim women remover her shadoor ( shadoof?)for her drivers license photo is an incursion on her religious freedom.

( you say "Trotsky" like its a good thing... Sorry but I find the entire ideaology completely dismissing of human nature; hence foolish, manipulative,unrealistic.and dangerous...)

15. Ivan

Ivan Monkey++

well for some examples that are in the news, there's denying gays the right to marry, teaching creationism/ID in schools, "in god we trust" on the money, and "one nation under god" in the pledge. I could probably list more, if i had a great deal of time but that should suffice for now.

personally, I think denying someone the right to be married just because they love the wrong person is a grievous violation of human rights. Teaching creationism in schools is unforgivable because it is demonstrably false. teaching ID in schools is bad because it is more a philosophical interpretation of events then a factual history of life and the universe.
    the "one nation under god" bit in the pledge should probably go. It was after all, only added to thumb our noses at the dirty godless commies. Idon't really care about it enough to fight over it though. getting rid of it would probably throw off the rhythm anyway. i think In God We Trust should probably stay the national motto/on the money. it was adopted during the nations greatest crisis and at this point carries substantial cultural/historical weight.

16. Tango3

Tango3 Aimless wanderer

I would very much agree with you about"creationism and i.d."in schools I find it a farce.
    Surely there are the"Well How do you know the bible is true?"
    "It says so right inside"( "God said it believe it bible thumpers") that I find pretty revolting( ignorant?) myself.

" far as :thumb our noses at the dirty godless commies." well...it doesn't draw any bile. but I am prepared to tolerate "in God we trust " and nativity scenes at christmas.
    The gay marriage thing is whole 'nuther thread... with twofacets societies' aceeptance and government reconization are two wholly different aspects.

G'night ya' Godless communist.[beat][beat]

17. Ivan

Ivan Monkey++

same to you, reactionary traitor to your class. [beer]

18. Tango3

Tango3 Aimless wanderer

"class"???? I ''ve been late for class since first semester...[own2]
    here's the result of protecting islam in europe.. some protected religious stuff for you...YouTube- Wake up, America

19. Tango3

Tango3 Aimless wanderer

20. tacmotusn

tacmotusn RIP 1/13/21

[applaud][lolol][fnny][fnny][fnny][lolol][applaud]
    Tango3 my good man, I lift my cup to you [beer]

survivalmonkey SSL seal        survivalmonkey.com warrant canary
17282WuJHksJ9798f34razfKbPATqTq9E7