New RIA Tactical 1911-A1

Discussion in 'Firearms' started by kckndrgn, Jan 19, 2010.

1. kckndrgn

kckndrgn Monkey+++ Moderator Emeritus Founding Member

My newest firearm, and my first 1911.

[​IMG]

Sorry for the cellphone pic, I couldn't find the digital camera, and even if I did I'm not sure the picture would have been better LOL

2. E.L.

E.L. Moderator of Lead Moderator Emeritus Founding Member

Nice. The RIA 1911's shoot very well and seem to shoot very reliably out of the box from my experience. What did that one set you back? The only thing I did not like about them was the grips, but that is easy enough rectified.

3. kckndrgn

Less than $400 out the door, but then I work at the range where I bought it so I get it for cost.

I only shot 16 rounds, one mag that came with the gun and one Kimber mag. All rounds functioned flawlessly.

I agree, I'll prolly be changing the grips and the sights, don't really care for the black on black.

4. E.L.

The wood grips look good, but for shooting purposes nothing beats a good set of Hogue grips. Pick up some Wilson 47D mags and think about a set of Trijicon night sights. I think you will really like this .45. Good pistol fir a great price.

5. kckndrgn

Yeah, I woulda got the Wilson mags but we are out of them, should have more in next week.
    Oh, let the fun begin :)

I think I may change the grip safety to one that has the "memory bump" or whatever it's called.

6. BAT1

BAT1 Cowboys know no fear

Good pistol for a great price. 1st 1911? Won't be the last.

7. YSOCREUS

YSOCREUS Monkey++

I've been eye balling an RIA 1911 myself. Haven't found any negative wright-ups about them. I work part-time at a large gunshop locally and am in the market. It will be my first 1911 as well. Good luck with yours!

"Friendly Fire, isn't"

8. BigO01

BigO01 Monkey+++ Founding Member

The Armscor RIA's and the older Armscor made yet imported with the Charles Daly name are good solid weapons .

You may find a few maching marks here and there on the inside of the slides or frame but nothing that you can't fix if need be with a little wet/dry .

All of the parts are MIM which of course is a nasty word but then again not many makers of any guns will be MIM free and the quality of those parts have come along way from when they first appeared and had such a bad reputation for quality .

Some people live by the old saying "you get what you pay for" which to an extent is true with many things but these Armscors are still a huge exception to that rule and you get alot more than you paid for them in as far as a accurate reliable weapon that you can trust your life to .

Shame you didn't buy it when they were barely over the $300 mark NEW , as they were indeed a great buy then which was only a few years ago .

O and don't overlook the MecGars when it comes to mags for your 1911 they are as dependable as my Wilson 47D's but they are usually priced a tad lower at retail . Perhaps one day I may ask Melbo if I can run another group buy on the 47D's as I did on old WR site Wilson made us a heck of a deal on them and will hopefully do so again if it ever happens .

Just wish I could repay their generosity and buy one of their guns but 2-3 grand for a gun just isn't in the old budget LOL !

9. E.L.

I had a hard time choosing between the Wilson Combat and the Les Baer TRS. In the end, talked to a bunch of different owners, and the lack of MIM parts and exceptional craftsmanship was why I went with Les Baer. I have NO regrets, best pistol I have ever owned. It makes every one that shoots it a better shooters, according to those that have shot it.

The RIA is a great buy, even at $400. The tactical model with the extended beavertail is as good a pistol buy as there is. Why lately my attention has been upon Springfield XDs, I might very well buy another 1911 RIA one of these days.

10. Sherman

Sherman Dog Eat Dog

good for you, almost bought one and prolly will if they go into production again.
    I have had bad luck running mecgars in my SM&A Colt Officers

survivalmonkey SSL seal        survivalmonkey.com warrant canary
17282WuJHksJ9798f34razfKbPATqTq9E7