New Seaweed ‘Super Food’ Tastes Like Bacon

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by HK_User, Jul 22, 2015.

1. HK_User

HK_User A Productive Monkey is a Happy Monkey

Sorry no bacon grease for those who need that fix too.

What next Soylent Green that taste like Prime Rib?

HK

New Seaweed ‘Super Food’ Tastes Like Bacon

[​IMG]
    Jason Ball, research chef at the Food Innovation Center, Portland, Oregon prepares dishes made with the ingrediant dulse. Dulse is a type of seaweed variety currently being grown and researched at the Hattfield Marine Science Center in Newport, Oregon by Chris Langdon. The FIC, Hattfield, and the Oregon Business School with Chuck Toombs are working together to bring OSU grown dulse to the market. Photo by Stephen Ward, OSU Extension and Experiment Station Communications.
    A red seaweed in the large saltwater tanks of an Oregon State University researcher grows quickly, is packed full of protein, and is a source of vitamins and antioxidants.
    It also tastes like bacon, say the researchers.

A special strain of dulse is a new “super food” patented by the school – and is now being investigated as a specialty crop that could potentially become a whole new industry in the Beaver State.

“This stuff is pretty amazing,” said Chris Langdon, the creator, of the Hatfield Marine Science Center at OSU. “When you fry it, which I have done, it tastes like bacon, not seaweed. And it’s a pretty strong bacon flavor.”

The dulse, a red marine algae that grows in the wild along the coastlines of both the Atlantic and Pacific oceans, was originally cultivated to feed abalone – a cash crop itself, they said.

Langdon developed his strain through a selection process over 15 years, he told Laboratory Equipment.

But an OSU business professor visited the lab where it was growing, as he looked for ideas for his students to market, school officials said.

“Dulse is a super-food, with twice the nutritional value of kale. And OSU had developed this variety that can be farmed, with the potential for a new industry for Oregon,” said Chuck Toombs, the faculty member at OSE’s College of Business.

After getting a grant from the state’s Department of Agriculture, the scientists began examining dulse as a “specialty crop.”

Several chefs in the Portland area are now testing the dulse as a fresh product, and as an ingredient.

“That fact that it grows rapidly, has high nutritional value, and can be used dried or fresh certainly makes it a strong candidate,” said Gil Sylvania, director of the Coastal Oregon Marine Experiment Station at OSU.

In Europe, the wild varieties of dulse are currently used as powder to add to smoothies, or flakes added onto food.

Langdon, the creator of the new strain of seaweed, can already grow 20-30 pounds of the dulse each week in his two existing tanks.

Bear and Yard Dart like this.
  2. HK_User

Beats me, I just saw it on a group I'm on that is about meds and posted!

3. ditch witch

ditch witch I do stupid crap, so you don't have to

I tried dulse when we were up in New Brunswick... St John City Market. Never seen it before, guy had a little sample tray out. It did not taste like bacon. Maybe to someone who has been eating vegetarian fakon it does, but not me. It was ok tho. I got a bag.

4. Yard Dart

Yard Dart Vigilant Monkey Moderator

Any "food" that has to be created by someone....or that has a patent on its process.... makes me nervous/skeptical/most likely aint gonna eat it..... ;)

5. HK_User

Ditto.

Tully Mars likes this.
  6. Ganado

Ganado Monkey+++

Like seaweed love bacon but patented food ewwwww

7. kellory

kellory An unemployed Jester, is nobody's fool. Banned

You are not mistaken. I brought this up in chat last week. Glad to see someone else pays attention....;)

Tully Mars likes this.
  8. pearlselby

pearlselby Monkey++

I agree, Yard Dart! If ANY questions immediately come to mind.....I pass.

Yard Dart likes this.
survivalmonkey SSL seal        survivalmonkey.com warrant canary
17282WuJHksJ9798f34razfKbPATqTq9E7