New Silencer Manufacturer

Discussion in 'New Member Introductions' started by Reaper Silencers, May 20, 2017.

Tags:
  1. Bishop

Bishop Monkey+++

The cost of a can should not be more than the gun it's going on no matter how good or bad it is.

Brokor and 3M-TA3 like this.
  2. Tully Mars

Tully Mars Metal weldin' monkey

UGH!! Bet THAT happened on a regular basis:rolleyes:

Sadly that hasn't been the case for a long time-esp. with the rim fire calibres. If suppressors ever become OTC again you will see the price drop big time.

sec_monkey, 3M-TA3 and Ura-Ki like this.
  3. Ura-Ki

Ura-Ki Grampa Monkey

If the Hearing Protection Act passes, the prices will have to drop big time, every Tom, Dick, and Harry with a lathe and simple skills will be cranking them out by the fist full !!! It's the folks with the ability to turn out a quality product at a reasonable price that will succeed, and many will fall by the way side for many reasons out side the quality and price issues.

sec_monkey and Tully Mars like this.
  4. Tully Mars

Why yes, yes I would. Would you like to pre order?:D

ghrit and sec_monkey like this.
  5. Ura-Ki

Ura-Ki Grampa Monkey

Your taking orders? Sign me up! I need three!

6. Tully Mars

If the HPA passes I plan on building them. I have everything machine shop wise to do so. I can give them a blued, parkerized, cerakote or Dura Coat finish.

3M-TA3, Ura-Ki and sec_monkey like this.
  7. Ura-Ki

Ura-Ki Grampa Monkey

HAHA, I have 24 feet of 2'' I.D. aluminum extrusions all ready heat treated, and enough plate and billet to last me till rapture, though we mighten have to do a little tradin! I have the lathe and vertical mill, just need the HPA to pass so I can fire it all up and go to town!

8. oil pan 4

oil pan 4 Monkey+++

If everyone starts cranking out silencers expect a lot of crap to be on the market too.

Ura-Ki likes this.
  9. Tully Mars

Very true, but as @Ura-Ki mentioned the crappy ones won't be around for long. Just like in a firearm you can tell craftsmanship from crap pretty easily. I would expect the industry to benefit from ideas from folks that before weren't "allowed" to take an idea they've had and put it to the test by building one and trying it out.

Last edited: May 21, 2017
    sec_monkey and Ura-Ki like this.
  10. Tully Mars

HAIL YES!
    Give me a good reason to get outta this heat and back into my old stomping grounds for a weekend!!

sec_monkey and Ura-Ki like this.
  11. Airtime

Airtime Monkey+++

I do not share the aversion to titanium for a suppressor. Sure it starts losing strength at 800 F and various things happen well abive 1000F, but one must put it in perspective with the alternatives and benefits.

Probably the most common material for suppressor and even AR construction is 6061-T6 aluminum alloy. But consider its strength vs. temperature. It's tensile strength at 70F is generally considered about 45,000 psi but above 300F that starts dropping rapidly and its down to just 10% of that by 700F.

A lot of 6061-T6 cans have been run on full auto without problems. Been to Knob Creek? I am not really fretting temperature issues with titanium.

Titanium is very corrossion resistant once it has formed an oxide layer, better than hard coat annodized 6061. It also has a higher strength to weight ratio allowing the suppressor hanging off the barrel to be a bit lighter.

Is it harder to machine and weld? Machining isnt hard with sharp tooling, correct tool geometry and flood coolant. Welding is very much trickier but it is a known science and for a manufacturer (not a DIY) not a big deal. But if buying a completed unit, these aren't particularly relevant, all that matters is the manufacturer knows his stuff in regard to working titanium.

The primary drawbacks to titanium in my mind is it is probably isn't for most DIYers and its just the cost but some may find the slightly lower weight worth it.

12. Brokor

Brokor Live Free or Cry Moderator Site Supporter+++ Founding Member

13. Tully Mars

Looks like some folks are trying to get all the cash they can quickly before the bill passes.
    I will say it's not a bad thing to hedge yer bets.
    From what I've read, the Batfags are expecting the HPA to eventually pass and are gearing up for it.

Yard Dart, sec_monkey and Ura-Ki like this.
  14. Gator 45/70

Gator 45/70 Monkey+++

Anyone have a timeline when HPA may pass?

15. VisuTrac

VisuTrac Ваша мать носит военные ботинки Site Supporter+++

I'm going to say .. multi-caliber.

sec_monkey and Brokor like this.
  16. Brokor

Brokor Live Free or Cry Moderator Site Supporter+++ Founding Member

Yes, but for smaller companies like Rebel, I think it helps them, too. Also, when or if the HPA does pass, GOOD LUCK finding a suppressor. The reserve down payment option at Rebel guarantees your silencer at the current price, and prices are going to go up for a while. [winkthumb]

Tully Mars and Ura-Ki like this.
  17. azrancher

azrancher Monkey +++

I will be selling PH8A silencers for a mear $50.00 each, they come in flat black with a 3" nipple adapter made out of the highest quality Schedule 80 supper strong polymer that will fit most any rifle with an appropriate Stainless Steel band compression adapter.

$900 for a noise suppressor, you had better make your millions before they become legal!!!

Rancher

For those of you who didn't understand the above, it was an oil filter with a PVC sprinkler riser threaded with a 3/4 NSS thread, and hacksaw fluted at 90 degrees (4) and held to the barrel with a hose clamp.

Rancher

Last edited by a moderator: May 21, 2017
  18. 3M-TA3

3M-TA3 Cold Wet Monkey

With the HPA expected to happen I'm going to wait it out and wait for the prices to drop.

Tully Mars and Ura-Ki like this.
  19. VisuTrac

VisuTrac Ваша мать носит военные ботинки Site Supporter+++

HPA passes. Law of supply and demand will cause the prices to go up at the retail level.
    That 200 dollar tax stamp cost will be converted into attempting to get yours soon.

I'd suspect that it would be well over a year before prices inched down (if ever)

Yard Dart, Brokor and Ura-Ki like this.
  20. Ura-Ki

Ura-Ki Grampa Monkey

I did get my first one for my AR SBR build, I went ahead and sent in both the form 1 and form 4 and two checks, knowing that the wait times were about the same, just got both back three weeks ago. Total wait time was 9 months 4 days for the form 1 and 9 months 3 weeks for the form 4! It looks like I may just squeak through the tax stamp refund in the HPA passes, but I aint holding my breath! I didn't bother to wait it out, simply did it because I wanted both stamps and was going to have to wait it out any way!

survivalmonkey SSL seal        survivalmonkey.com warrant canary
17282WuJHksJ9798f34razfKbPATqTq9E7