New Silencer Manufacturer

Discussion in 'New Member Introductions' started by Reaper Silencers, May 20, 2017.

Tags:
  1. 3M-TA3

3M-TA3 Cold Wet Monkey

Initially, yes. I'm happy to wait for prices to come down to it's utility value. If not I'll fabricate my own. I know at least two machinists that are more than capable and I can provide the drawings.

2. Tully Mars

Tully Mars Metal weldin' monkey

I agree that everyone and his dawg is gonna want one if the bill passes so they will be hard to get for awhile. Guys like myself and @Ura-Ki could fill that niche nicely for awhile at least. As I said earlier if the HPA passes I will be building suppressors. I have several different sets of drawings along with several registered suppressors already built. I don't see the overall price going up from what they are now because too many folks knowing they will be able to get them OTC will just get put on a back order list.

3M-TA3, sec_monkey and Ura-Ki like this.
  3. DarkLight

DarkLight Live Long and Prosper - On Hiatus

Want one? Yes. Need one right now? Nope, not really. Would buy one after the fervor dies down? Absolutely. Build my own? Maybe, but I'd either need to invest in the tools or work with someone and have a suppressor party, kind of like an 80% party.

For me, I'd need replacement threaded barrels for any handguns but should be able to pull of the birdcage on the EBR.

4. DarkLight

DarkLight Live Long and Prosper - On Hiatus

Believe it or not, you can buy a solvent trap that just happens to be 1/2-28 ID threads at Walmart of all places.

https://www.walmart.com/ip/NTC-NTC0...2587&wl11=online&wl12=892281354&wl13=&veh=sem

And even Amazon has them (although I can't speak to the quality).
    Amazon.com: imUfer 1/2-28 to 13/16-16 Threaded Fitting Automotive for WIX,FRAM and BOSCH: Kitchen & Dining

Because solvent isn't cheap!

I am NOT speaking to the legality of these things for any purpose whatsoever. That being said, once the HPA passes, it becomes less of if not a non-issue.

5. Tully Mars

Tully Mars Metal weldin' monkey

Right on all accounts.
    Unless someone just happens to give me a bunch of titanium I won't be using it.
    For one offs it's just not worth it-to me. If I screw up a piece of aluminum no biggie other than the time lost. Not so with titanium. In the small quantities I would be purchasing it's cost prohibitive vs the weight savings Aluminum and even SS just isn't that much heavier. I've seen .50BMG suppressors made out of chain link fence posts-and they worked. Not saying you should, but...

6. arleigh

arleigh Goophy monkey

While I like the idea of noise suppression, I really HATE the idea of hanging something off the end of the barrel no matter what its made of.
    Shooting range requires hearing protection any way, due to other shooters ,not having suppressors.
    And threading the end of a barrel to do this, is even more unsettling.
    For practicality sake ,with current guns, I'd much rather have a silencer that is made of a polymer that is cheap enough that it can be easily broken off without damaging the barrel , attached only by properly designed clamping .
    In practical terms it's not necessary to have a silencer on 24/7 unless the gun is being used in ,
    a. combat
    b. home protection .
    In which case, having something extra length in a close quarter environment is not a good idea . IMO
    What I would be more inclined to do ,
    is machine suppression device integral to the barrel ,in stead, an integral design of the gun, not an after market appliance.
    The clam shelled 2 piece "can" could slide back , exposing the magnaported holes so that the gun could be fired with out suppression . The rifling would be lightly polished away at these port openings.
    High temp O rings can maintain a seal at either end of the can, and act as a lock on the barrel to hold in or out of place.
    If there is a milled hinge on the out side edges of the clam shelled can a single stainless wire clip can be used to secure the unit , needing no tools to do servicing.
    The mating faces of the can should be grooved and milled to maintain some seal integrity.
    The configuration of the internals can then be altered and cleaned at any time.

survivalmonkey SSL seal        survivalmonkey.com warrant canary
17282WuJHksJ9798f34razfKbPATqTq9E7