New Springfield Armory AR

Discussion in 'Firearms' started by 3M-TA3, Nov 1, 2016.

Tags:
  1. 3M-TA3

3M-TA3 Cold Wet Monkey

Springfield Armory just released a new AR-15 rifle this morning and is worth a look see. The rifle is fully Mil Spec with the exception of a Melonoted barrel as opposed to chrome lined (IMO an improvement), a medium length gas system (more appropriate for a 16" barrel than a carbine length system), and BCM stock, handguard and grip. Retail if $900, but street price will be under $800.

I'll be watching to see how well this rifle does in the field, but it looks to be a very promising AR at a very good price point. Most AR rifles are built from mostly the same parts made by a relatively small number of manufacturers. It how those parts are assembled that make the difference - were the proper anti seize lubricants applied before parts were properly aligned and torqued? Was staking done properly on the gas key and castle nut, etc.? If SA is building these to proper spec this will be a rifle you can stake your life on.

[​IMG]

Hands-On With The Springfield Armory SAINT - The Truth About Guns
    The Springfield Armory SAINT Revealed - AllOutdoor.com
    Introducing The Springfield Armory Saint AR-15 - Clay's Full Review, Mag Dumps, Torture Tests & Silly Man Tricks - GunsAmerica Digest
    Springfield Armory's SAINT Is Revealed! | Part 1 of 3 Event Coverage - The Firearm Blog

stg58, Ura-Ki, Dunerunner and 2 others like this.
  2. Bandit99

Bandit99 Monkey+++ Site Supporter+

@3M-TA3 Is it a DI (direct impingement) or piston? I like SA and would love to pick up a Scout...if my safe would hold it and my wife wouldn't disown me, or worse. They make great firearms.

Ura-Ki and Sgt Nambu like this.
  3. 3M-TA3

3M-TA3 Cold Wet Monkey

It's a DI gas system. I own both and IMO gas vs piston is a wash with each having it's own advantages and drawbacks. Both are reliable and easy to maintain. Neither is a show stopper to me.

4. ghrit

ghrit Bad company Administrator Founding Member

I'm not jumping on the band wagon for the same reason I don't buy vehicles in the first year they come out. Springfield is not immune to the Jeep disease, but far more likely to recover in short order.

Ura-Ki and 3M-TA3 like this.
  5. 3M-TA3

3M-TA3 Cold Wet Monkey

Never buy the first of anything, but I will say with an AR system it's usually fairly easy to correct issues due to the availability of parts and knowledge. Still, it's usually better to let others do that work for you.

Ura-Ki, Sgt Nambu and ghrit like this.
  6. Bandit99

I have a Colt 6920 which is a DI system and in truth they have come a long ways since I used the M16 in my service time. I haven't had any problems at all with it. I do not own any piston ARs so I cannot really be a judge but I hope to get one soon, before Queen Hillary picks up the crown. In fact, calling about a Sig Sauer MCX today.

Wise words. When I first returned I did a completely stupid, out-of-the-blue impulse buy on a Remington 887 shotgun without researching anything. One would think with the success of their 870 model that you could be ensured of reliability and certainly safety...however, it had a 'slam-fire' fault. Luckily for me, mine had already been modified by the factory to correct this fault but it shocked the hell out of me when I got home and started looking online to research what I had bought. I learned a hard lesson that day.

Oltymer and Ura-Ki like this.
  7. 3M-TA3

3M-TA3 Cold Wet Monkey

You might want to watch this first:

I'd take a pair of the new SA's over the MCX, knowing I likely could fix any issue that SA missed. The DI gas system in the AR is so much more known and battle proven. The MCX, not so much.

Ura-Ki likes this.
  8. Bandit99

@3M-TA3 Well, that's disturbing. That is the first bad news I have heard about the gun. I guess I need to do some more research and see if anyone else is having problems. Reliability is key for me. I might look at PWS, long-stroke piston guns made here in Idaho. They are supposedly as reliable as the old AK-47.

9. 3M-TA3

3M-TA3 Cold Wet Monkey

Every machine fails eventually. Every one. The key is how difficult is it to maintain and repair? How hard is it to find or stock up on replacement parts. My pistons use Adams kits. The have been 100% reliable, but if I need to I can remove them and replace with DI. DI - is just fine and according to Battlefield Las Vegas (see link below) hold up better than most of the piston systems under extreme use.

More food for thought:
    AR endurance findings, at a rental range - The Firearm Blog

Bandit99 and Ura-Ki like this.
  10. marlas1too

marlas1too Monkey+++

still not as good as an AK or a SKS proven weapons that are better and more rugged---sorry just don't like the stoner design

GOG likes this.
  11. svjoe

svjoe Angry Monkey

Why has the AR platform exploded across America? I was around that thing for 20yrs in the Army and am not a fan at all. I will take my AK over an AR any day. Not meant to start an argument, just my .02cents...........

GOG likes this.
  1. 3M-TA3
  2. stg58
  3. Matei
  4. Dunerunner
  5. Yard Dart
  6. Yard Dart
  7. hot diggity
  8. OldDude49
  9. Oddcaliber
  10. Dont
  11. oil pan 4