Gear Review New stove for the back of the truck ..

Discussion in 'Functional Gear & Equipment' started by Andy the Aussie, Sep 9, 2023.

1. Andy the Aussie

Andy the Aussie Monkey+++ Founding Member

Sick of the cheap butane stove being such a pain in the rear in cold weather. Looked for a single burner model that would hook to a normal bottle but in looking found this...

[​IMG] upload_2023-9-9_14-25-36.

$34 delivered. Runs off a $9 disposable propane bottle of 469gms capacity. Factory spec says it burns 104gms per hour. 5000BTU (so not the scorcher some are).

Unpacked it today, comes with a serviceable soft case...

Hooked it up and boiled 1 litre of cold water in a billy with a lid, took 11mins to a rolling boil (so not brilliant) and burned 13gms of gas.

It is just large enough that my usual cast iron pan sits centred and is NOT touching the bottle......

Did myself small vegan [​IMG] upload_2023-9-9_14-25-36. lunch to see. ...

....two things from that, needed to give it a little more time to heat the steel and it needs wind protection (no surprise for anyone in that I am sure). Down the side of the house there acts as a natural wind tunnel and today was more windy than usual. I will pack a shield for it. Start to finish that meal used 20gms of gas.

All in all I am happy enough. The test will be cooking early morning in the cold at the times the butane stove is most annoying. I ONLY want this to reside in the back of the TLC for my overnighters. I have smaller stoves for the pack and a larger dual burner jobby that is fine (but larger and heavier) that is great if setting up somewhere for beyond a weekend trip or with a few people. More often than not I am alone. One of those bottles will last a good few trips if the burn rate stays about the same. We shall see.

Brokor, CraftyMofo, Hanzo and 8 others like this.
  2. Zimmy

Zimmy Wait, I'm not ready!

For a guy who now just packs quality peanut butter and honey in his bug-out bag, I have a ton of not quite perfect cooking equipment.

3. CheroKiya

CheroKiya Monkey

I bought the camp chef everest 2x with adapter hose and a 5 gal propane tank. Figure my tailgate, or wherever, will be a good place to put it. Beats choppin wood and don't need to worry about the weather either. I like your setup too.

CraftyMofo likes this.
  4. Seawolf1090

Seawolf1090 Retired Curmudgeonly IT Monkey Founding Member

Andy, that looks like a nice slab of vegan there!
    Be careful though, I hear the herds are raised on soy.

5. We got the gas one brand that will run on butane cans or the lp cylinders. Works great.
    They sell collapsible wind screens on Amazon.

Brokor likes this.
  6. Seawolf1090

Seawolf1090 Retired Curmudgeonly IT Monkey Founding Member

I have the Gas One stove too. Works fine.

7. Gator 45/70

Gator 45/70 Monkey+++

Where did we get the big ass pan at?

8. Andy the Aussie

Andy the Aussie Monkey+++ Founding Member

…..pics make it look larger than it is. But it is from a chain store here (Aldi) and has seasoned up well. Gets lots of use !

1. JC Refuge
  2. OlDiceGames
  3. JC Refuge
  4. Coyote Ridge
  5. Motomom34
  6. ColtCarbine
  7. Andy the Aussie
  8. DKR
  9. TinyDreams
  10. DKR
  11. Coyote Ridge
  12. Hillbilly549