New survival enthusiast, So many questions...

Discussion in 'Back to Basics' started by TriColorPansy, Mar 9, 2014.

1. Mike

Mike Ol' Army Sergeant Monkey

Awesome. We had a 32' pull trailer. Saved a lot of per-diem that way. Allowed us to pick up a used 40' Heartland Landmark Augusta from a widow, two years old then, and it is decked out. Not like living in the 32' one. But to pull it we had to put a gooseneck hitch under with a B&W companion 5th wheel. That works well. When we get settled, we pull the hitch out and it gives full use of the bed.

2. ReconMike78

ReconMike78 Monkey

hi tricolor, welcome, im new here as well so im gonna be learning right along side of ya...as for school i would def stay at all cost...i will make one suggestion to you...since you are a woman and in college..it probably wouldnt hurt to find somerwhere to start taking some self defense classes...whether you ever have to use them for the SHTF scenario its still a good base of knowledge for everyone in the world...a good starting base would be most likely some form of Aikido, Hapkido, or Judo...these are some of the less lethal but very effective artforms...being that your in GA, your pretty much in the epicenter of hand to hand combat training, IE: Ft.Benning. there should be no shortage of former Army Rangers running around GA with mma gyms...considering Army Rangers have adopted the teachings of Greg Thompson(MMA Expert) from here in Fayetteville NC...either way you decide to go about it...some form of self defense would benefit your prepper/survivalist success...look forward to reading more one your progress.

STANGF150, kellory and Mike like this.
  3. Mike

ReconMike, also the learning of a martial art will also grow you as a person, leading you to be calm, confident, and prepared.

kellory likes this.
  4. ReconMike78

ReconMike78 Monkey

i completely agree with you...it has helped me in all aspects of my life...ive been taking some form of martial arts since i was in the Army, and the biggest thing it has helped me with is channeling my priorities and focus, not to mention it gives me a outlet for stress....and as much as it will sound like hippie talk, i go to a Tai-Chi class once a week.

Mike likes this.
  5. Mike

Tai Chi is martial arts performed slowly and technically perfect. Speeded up, it is just as good a kata as Tai Kwan Do, Hap Ki Do, Ju Jitsu

6. kellory

kellory An unemployed Jester, is nobody's fool. Banned

It did for me.

Mike likes this.
  7. ReconMike78

ReconMike78 Monkey

your absolutely correct...although i practice for the spiritual and mental focus in life...it is actually fun also...as crazy as it sounds my teacher uses Tai-Chi as a dance class also

Mike likes this.
  8. Snake_Doctor

Snake_Doctor Call me Snake...

No No No. Judo is good in the dojo, but a course in it is no good on the street. Throws and joint locks? They get up or you have to let go eventually and they're free and mad. Karate or hard style kung fu where you use strikes to put your opponent down and make sure they stay down long enough for you to escape.

STANGF150 and Mike like this.
  9. Mike

Ok, I agree with you on that. Sometimes you can dissuade with just easy throws, but if not, you also need to know how to stop the assault quickly and, if necessary as in a survival situation, permanently.

10. ReconMike78

ReconMike78 Monkey

you make a good point...but Judo can be incorporated into any self defense base

Mike likes this.
  11. ReconMike78

ReconMike78 Monkey

i guess depending on her threshold for pain when learning it, she cold always begin learning Krav Maga

12. Snake_Doctor

But if she were to take judo only and face someone my size or even a fraction of my skill level she would be in serious trouble.

13. Mike

true.

14. ReconMike78

ReconMike78 Monkey

ok so basically what we are saying here is she should take classes in pretty much all of them hahaha

Mike likes this.
  15. Snake_Doctor

Not at all. if you had bothered to read I said karate or kung fu. You were also correct when you said MMA. All are well rounded.

Mike likes this.
  16. Mike

No, but she should take a starter class, like Judo or something similar, then move up to one of the more combative martial arts. The "hurt them bad" martial arts. I personally took Tai Kwan Do, with a bit of Kung Fu, taught by my site tech in Korea.

17. Mike

Just step on my damn toes, why don't ya, lol :p

18. Snake_Doctor

Krav maga is good as well.

Mike likes this.
  19. ReconMike78

ReconMike78 Monkey

man we are gonna have this poor girl so confused by the time we get done with her...hahaha

Mike likes this.
  20. Snake_Doctor

She should just listen to me lol

Mike likes this.
survivalmonkey SSL seal        survivalmonkey.com warrant canary
17282WuJHksJ9798f34razfKbPATqTq9E7