New survival enthusiast, So many questions...

Discussion in 'Back to Basics' started by TriColorPansy, Mar 9, 2014.

1. kellory

kellory An unemployed Jester, is nobody's fool. Banned

Getting knocked down, doesn't say as much about you as getting back up, and no fight is over until someone stays down.

Mike likes this.
  2. Mike

Mike Ol' Army Sergeant Monkey

It ain't over till the fat lady sings..... oh crap, Roseanne Barr did the National Anthem... we're doomed

kellory likes this.
  3. kellory

kellory An unemployed Jester, is nobody's fool. Banned

no, she butchered it, not DID it.

Mike likes this.
  4. Mike

I fully agree. Quit watching her stuff after that... her little crotch grab and all

5. Tevin

Tevin Monkey+++

A camper/RV is a not bad idea as long as you understand and accept the problems that come with them.

From a prepping standpoint, they are difficult to defend and have very little storage space for supplies. Even the "all weather" models are not well insulated, so the fuel needed to heat the place will be greater than a permanent structure of the same size. And you can't use a wood burning stove or any open-flame source, or at least you shouldn't. On the upside, RVs are relatively inexpensive, portable, easy to hide, and easy to get rid of when they reach the end of their useful life.

Ideally, you would want access to property where you could discreetly park it and keep supplies nearby, perhaps in a shed or barn. The camper would be semi-permanent living quarters. I'm not sure how long the thing would last if used that way.

I would not recommend an RV/camper as a first choice, but as a young person with limited funds, you have to go with what you can afford. I would rather live in a camper on your grandma's spread in the country than be stuck in an apartment in the big city.

Good luck with your adventure.

Mike and tulianr like this.
  6. ReconMike78

ReconMike78 Monkey

i wanted to chime in on the bumper pull campers...they make pull out campers that sit in the bed off trucks that can be quite comfortable....mind you they are not ideal for extended stay hotel accomadations but for shtf bugout scenarios they are perfect if its just you and maybe one other person...and a little cheaper if you get one slightly less than new....and they make them now so that you can just pull right out from under them if you should have to do so...honestly though...either mine or Mikes suggestion would be perfect. If you are looking for more space while your buggin out though, Mikes bumper pull camper depending on the size you aquire would be a much better solution as the in the bed camper i described would be spacious but not ideal for long term...food for thought for ya.

Mike likes this.
  7. -06

-06 Monkey+++

Have a little 20 footer that is nimble and easy to park. I keep several cans of camo to spray it with if warranted. It is self contained but looking for a tiny (1K) generator for it.
    ETA: you do not need a different license to drive a small one so do not be intimidated by that.

Mike likes this.
  8. BTPost

BTPost Stumpy Old Fart,Deadman Walking, Snow Monkey Moderator

@-06 Look for a used 1Kw Honda... those things are perfect for that use...

Mike likes this.
  9. TriColorPansy

TriColorPansy Monkey

Well now I'm really glad I joined these forums, because you guys are bringing up things I probably wouldn't have thought about until it was too late. Self-defense, RV maintenance in intense weather, mounting storage costs and the possibility of my storage unit getting broken into, whether or not a RV could withstand a direct attack if I couldn't drive away.

These are a lot of things to consider...

I would love to join a nearby self-sufficient community that has already found or is working towards solutions to these problems, and through living and working there learn those practices for myself. But for now I'll have to rough it alone in grandma's backyard~

I think my self-esteem issues stem from the fact that I'm an introvert. I'm pretty shy and socially awkward, and if you met me in person you wouldn't hear me say half of the things I've written here - it'd probably sound like gibberish. But I have a vivid imagination and can be impulsive at times, so I like to second guess myself before I do or say most things, especially when I'm around other people. It actually took me about an hour to write this post because I kept proofreading and rewriting it like a school paper...

What confidence I do have comes mainly from my family's inherent stubbornness and love for the simpler things. I want to do everything in my power to not fail, but when I do I'm determined to mask that failure with a success. And I'd rather know something by heart and act on instinct than get bogged down in details because I know I'll become flustered trying to retain so much information - but there are advantages and disadvantages to that mindset.

tulianr, Tevin, kellory and 1 other person like this.
  10. Mike

An old Sergeant friend of mine broke this all down into the most basic of things: Don't sweat the petty shit, don't pet the sweaty shit. Loosen up, relax. Nobody is going to jump all over you for anything you say in here (except kell and snake maybe :p) just kidding. I have one of those minds that is always looking at things, looking for ways to do it differently, better, faster. Its fun. But it's always running ideas. ALWAYS!, lol. I'm back looking at adobe bricks. They are natural, very good in hot or cold weather, and bullet resistant. But they do require maintenance. Water can be lethal to an adobe structure if the stucco gets compromised. Building with it is rough too, bricks weighing over 60 lbs each. But with lifts, leverage, etc they can be put in place easily. Big thing to keep in mind, reinforcing the door and window openings to spread out the weight above the opening. Also, having a level line to make sure that each run of bricks are level. Once built and covered in chicken wire covered in stucco, they are awesome structures. Fireplaces can also be made inside out of stucco. Outdoor kivas can be made for cooking, as well, out of stucco.

kellory likes this.
  11. ReconMike78

ReconMike78 Monkey

from the sound of your typing, lol, seems you may be a over-thinker, which there is completely nothing wrong with at all...i myself am a overthinker...although i tend to overthink to the point my head is ready to explode...remember Rome wasnt built overnight...so take your time and rethink a few times if need be...your final product may still not be what you envisioned but 9 out of 10 times it will be better than it would have been had you not been a thinker...and dont forget either that things can always be gone back over and retweeked afterward...with that said, you dont wanna overthink to much or it will halter progress...unfortunately there is that fine line...but im sure you will be fine...especially since you now have all of us to help lol

Mike likes this.
  12. TriColorPansy

TriColorPansy Monkey

Thanks for the encouragement :)

Adopting a simpler lifestyle to reconnect with nature and lessen the stress from the modern world won't be as effective if I approach it with a stress inducing worry-wart attitude X-P

Slow and steady wins the race~

survivalmonkey SSL seal        survivalmonkey.com warrant canary
17282WuJHksJ9798f34razfKbPATqTq9E7