New Taurus 1911 and range time

Discussion in 'Firearms' started by Funnyrunner, Oct 17, 2009.

1. Funnyrunner

Funnyrunner Monkey++

Didn't think I'd ever get to the range but finally went today.

Before I went, I swapped out the ambi-safety with an STI left handed safety that I got from Midway. Dropped in like it was going home to momma, no fitting required and it functions like it should.

Put 300 rounds through the 1911SS and it was flawless! Didn't get 1" groups but didn't expect to with these 58 yr old eyes. It did what I wanted it to and better at 5, 7, 15, and 25 yard ranges though.
    The 2 Taurus mags and 3 Chip McCormick mags all functioned great also.

The range had a nice collection of 1911's for sale, I was really impressed with the Kimber they had for $1300.00. They also had a nice stainless Springfield Armory 1911 for $900.00. My question is, why would anyone pay that much for a 1911 when the Taurus does everything it should for far less money? After shooting the Taurus, I don't think I'd swap it for the others even on a gun for gun swap.
    The Taurus is that nice.

Glad I got the Stainless model also and I love the Pachmayr grips.
    004a.

2. magnus392

magnus392 Field Marshall Mags Moderator Emeritus Founding Member

My best friend picked on up in .38Super and we got to shoot it at the shop. It was incredibly nice, seemed accurate. I look forward to shooting it some more:) I love my Springfield champ though.

3. Seacowboys

Seacowboys Senior Member Founding Member

Several of the top shooters in our USPSA matches insist that Kimber and Charles Daly 1911s are all made at IMI (Isreal) on the same tooling and are completely identical. They are sent in component to their respective factories in the US and assembled to beat the import ban. I looked into this by comparison and have to say that I think they are correct. I own more than one of each and the only justification that I can find for one costing more than double is the name stamped on them.

4. Funnyrunner

Funnyrunner Monkey++

For some people, the name means everything and is worth the extra money.
    I don't have that kind of money but I have that kind of pistol.

5. Tango3

Tango3 Aimless wanderer

b.-e.-a.-u-t-e-e-ful 1911

6. Funnyrunner

Funnyrunner Monkey++

Thanks, it sure shoots nice!

survivalmonkey SSL seal        survivalmonkey.com warrant canary
17282WuJHksJ9798f34razfKbPATqTq9E7