New to me Remington 870 Wingmaster...

Discussion in 'Firearms' started by AndyinEverson, Nov 3, 2018.

Tags:
  1. AndyinEverson

AndyinEverson Black Powder Monkey

So I traded for this 1981 Remington Wingmaster...
    12 gauge , 18 inch barrel , 2 3/4 inch chamber , Improved Cylinder choke and Walnut stock.
    ( I traded a flintlock pistol , I put together for this shotgun...:D )
    I have found that it shoots and handles very nicely....
    I have shot Federal 7 1/2 shot , Federal #4 shot and Federal "Tactical" 00 Buck , 8 pellet count thru it.
    All have functioned as intended and no issues...I could even get a palm size grouping of the 00 Buck at 50 yards , several times in a row.
    I am thinking of getting a extra barrel in the 26 -28 inch range w / the Rem-Choke system to increase the versatility of the gun....
    Anyhow...Just wanted to show off the new to me gun ....:D
    Andy
    DSC06837.

2. BTPost

BTPost Stumpy Old Fart,Deadman Walking, Snow Monkey Moderator

Sounds like a great deal on this end... Enjoy

3. Illini Warrior

Illini Warrior Illini Warrior

unless you can find a great deal on that longer barrel - I'd look around for another Remington or Winchester pump with a decent length/choke hunting barrel >>> could be a better deal in the long run ....

4. AndyinEverson

I think so...
    I did put a lot of work into the pistol...and I think it turned out nice...the guy even asked : "How old is that pistol"...I was trying to have the pistol look like a "trade pistol" of the 1830's...so I guess it worked...:D

So the guy with the shotgun , got a mostly handmade flintlock pistol and I got a fun and versatile shotgun....
    Andy

Last edited: Nov 3, 2018
  5. AndyinEverson

I have a Remington 870 from 1962 that I use for hunting...but I really , just like the idea of a more modern barrel that can use steel shot , if I need to and since I have this new to me 870 , that can take a new barrel...it makes sense to me , to get one ....
    Here is my other 870 ...
    A 20 gauge from 1962 with a Modified choke...
    Andy
    DSC06606.

6. Ura-Ki

Ura-Ki Grampa Monkey

Believe it or not, Mossberg makes aftermarket barrels for the 870 in various lengths and coke combos for about 1/2 what Remmy charges! Arguably Remmies Choke system is the bench mark for good interchangeable chokes, and from there the skies open and champagne rains down! A good "Tactical Choke" like a Improved Breaching choke does wonders out of a short barrel! I have thusly modified my 1897 Winchester Take Down Trench clone to take the Remmy Chokes with outstanding results! What is arguably one of the best fightin shotguns ever is now perfection in every task I could ask of it!

Nice Score Andy, Always loved the 870's!

3M-TA3, Zimmy, Altoidfishfins and 3 others like this.
  7. duane

duane Monkey+++

Sounds to me like you both got a good deal, beautiful shotgun and a timeless classic to you and a pistol that would cost him on the open market with the labor you put into it a lot more than the retail price of the shotgun. You have to love barter, as it only works when everyone is happy.

8. AndyinEverson

Thanks Ura-Ki...Good to know 'bout Mossberg making a barrel to fit the 870...the things we learn when we post...:D
    '97 Winchesters are great...I had one , once...always felt like Lee Marvin in "The Professionals" when I shot it...Now if I were only as cool as he was...:D
    Andy

9. AndyinEverson

Very true...
    I do like to trade...and it can be fun as well.
    The pistol looks a lot like the one here , that I also made...only it is in flintlock and .50 caliber , no finger spur..
    Andy
    DSC06041.

Motomom34, Ura-Ki, sec_monkey and 2 others like this.
  10. Gator 45/70

Gator 45/70 Monkey+++

Nice!!! Not 100% sure about this but if you do get an extra barrel get one to handle 3'' and 3 1/2'' shells.
    You may be able to actually shoot all 3 or at least 2 3/4 + 3''

11. AndyinEverson

Thanks Gator 45/70...
    I think that 'cause my gun has a 2 3/4 inch chamber that is all that I can shoot , no matter what the barrel is marked...that said a gunsmith might be able to "rechamber" my gun....
    Andy

12. BTPost

BTPost Stumpy Old Fart,Deadman Walking, Snow Monkey Moderator

The Chambering on the REM870 is determined by the Barrel, where the chamber actually IS... switch Barrels and you get the chambering of the new Barrel... it is the same with the choke.... I do not think the bolt or extractor is different, for any change in Barrels...

13. Oddcaliber

Oddcaliber Monkey+++

Did good on that trade! Remington did or does make barrels with interchangeable chokes. They screw in and out. Did have an 870 at one point in time but it was sold because I don't like the ergonomic. More of a Mossberg man.

14. ghrit

ghrit Bad company Administrator Founding Member

Check carefully if you go for a longer chamber. The stroke and elevator may not deal with the longer hulls, and the ejection port could be a mite short as well.

Last edited: Nov 4, 2018
  15. AndyinEverson

With all this talk of chambers and such...I need to say that I will just stick with 2 3/4 inch shells...they will do all that I need.
    Andy

16. Altoidfishfins

Altoidfishfins Monkey+++ Site Supporter+

3 inch and 3-1/2 inch 12 GA recoil like there's no tomorrow

17. Illini Warrior

Illini Warrior Illini Warrior

if you ever have the chance to go magnum for a little more $$$$ - never know if you could salvage some turkey or goose shells in a bad SHTF - pays to be versatile and ready for anything ....

18. AndyinEverson

If I really want versatile I'll use this...My Flintlock Fowler ( antique original and I still hunt and shoot with it...:D )
    Andy DSC06557.

19. Gator 45/70

Gator 45/70 Monkey+++

Mine I cobbled together Andy
    Went from a keyhole stock 2x6 and forearm , Replaced with fiberglass or probably plastic parts. It was a Turkey special, Now its a squirrel getter or I could just install the short barrel for busting hogs in palmettos' Will accept up to 3.5 but like you I prefer the 2 3/4
    Tons of aftermarket parts out there;

IMAG01660.

20. AndyinEverson

Nice set up Gator 45/70....thanks for sharing....!
    Andy

Last edited: Nov 5, 2018
  1. Witch Doctor 01
  2. Witch Doctor 01
  3. BenP
  4. Tully Mars
  5. Bishop
  6. Oddcaliber
  7. 3M-TA3
  8. oil pan 4
  9. TnAndy
  10. verla
  11. BTPost
  12. chelloveck
  13. Brokor
    Resource

Mossberg 500 Shotgun (12Ga.) 2014-06-15

Mossberg Owners Manual / 13 pages
    Posted By: Brokor, Jun 15, 2014 in category: Firearm Manuals
  14. Brokor
  15. CATO
    [media]!
    Thread by: CATO, Jan 12, 2013, 18 replies, in forum: General Survival and Preparedness
  16. Tango3
survivalmonkey SSL seal        survivalmonkey.com warrant canary
17282WuJHksJ9798f34razfKbPATqTq9E7