New to me Remington 870 Wingmaster...

Discussion in 'Firearms' started by AndyinEverson, Nov 3, 2018.

Tags:
  1. Zimmy

Zimmy Wait, I'm not ready!

The ejection port in the receiver gets larger with guns originally chambered to 3" and 3 1/2". That said, a shotgun originally chambered for 2 3/4" will still be able to eject 3" fired hulls. It's just a little tighter clearances than a 3" reciever.

I've been down that road with my 870 and currently have a 3" chambered 20" barrel topped by a ported long taper turkey choke for those long shots.

Ura-Ki, oldman11, sec_monkey and 2 others like this.
  2. Gator 45/70

Gator 45/70 Monkey+++

The ejection port on my 870 measures right at 3 1/2 '' or in metric it would be several thousand lil marks!!!!

techsar, Ura-Ki, oldman11 and 3 others like this.
  3. AndyinEverson

AndyinEverson Black Powder Monkey

Thanks Zimmy,,,that is good information to know...:D
    Andy

4. oil pan 4

oil pan 4 Monkey+++

Form 1 it.
    Lop off that defender barrel and get a full length politically correct game bird, trap skeet barrel.
    One gun can just about do everything then.

oldman11 likes this.
  5. AndyinEverson

As per my OP...I am planing to get a 26-28 inch barrel for it....:D
    Edit to add...I did get two grouse yesterday, with this gun and its 18 inch Improved Cylinder bore barrel , while using #6 shot...range was about 25-30ish yards....YUM!
    Andy

Last edited: Nov 12, 2018
    oldman11, ghrit and Gator 45/70 like this.
  6. STGThndr

STGThndr Monkey+

Dang, Andy! You show us your new snag.. and then in the same thread trump it several times with the pistols and your fowler! Nice lookers all... The 870 series is a bet-yer-life-on (I have) duty gun... Still have several left over from my retirement and they all shoot well. Got pretty good sending slugs down range even with a simple bead... and it is possible to accurise them with rifled barrels and open sights or scopes..
    Anyway, cool thread Andy, and as always, thanks for sharing some interesting stuff!
    Ive coveted but never sprang for a flint fowler, since I saw one as a kid in Michigan... it was an original which had been used by a pioneer family in the 1820-1840 time frame in the southern lower peninsula. It was on display and definitely UN-available for purchase! Met guys who hunted with new-built flint fowlers @20ga- for about any game available in Michigan- deer, ducks, even pheasants.

Gator 45/70 and AndyinEverson like this.
  7. AndyinEverson

Thanks for the kind words STGThndr....:D
    If we ever get the chance to meet up...I'll try to bring the fowler along so you can try it out.
    I haven't shot any slugs yet out my new to me 870...but it does just fine with 7.5 , 6 , 4 , #4 buck and 00 Buck...
    They are fine shotguns , that just seem to work.
    Andy

Last edited: Dec 3, 2018
    Gator 45/70 likes this.
  1. Witch Doctor 01
  2. Witch Doctor 01
  3. BenP
  4. Tully Mars
  5. Bishop
  6. Oddcaliber
  7. 3M-TA3
  8. oil pan 4
  9. TnAndy
  10. verla
  11. BTPost
  12. chelloveck
  13. Brokor
    Resource

Mossberg 500 Shotgun (12Ga.) 2014-06-15

Mossberg Owners Manual / 13 pages
    Posted By: Brokor, Jun 15, 2014 in category: Firearm Manuals
  14. Brokor
  15. CATO
    [media]!
    Thread by: CATO, Jan 12, 2013, 18 replies, in forum: General Survival and Preparedness
  16. Tango3
survivalmonkey SSL seal        survivalmonkey.com warrant canary
17282WuJHksJ9798f34razfKbPATqTq9E7