New to the forum / Need EDC suggestion

Discussion in 'New Member Introductions' started by dnbailey, Jul 12, 2013.

1. dnbailey

dnbailey Monkey

Hello all! I'm new to the forum. From Indiana. Although I have a fair amount of survival training, I'm not by any means a survival expert. I'm here to learn and possibly contribute when I can.

Question: I need suggestions for an EDC knife. I don't necessarily need a fighting knife, although if it comes to that, it comes to that. Typically when I'm not at work I carry at least one firearm. As an Eagle Scout, I've carried a pocket knife basically my whole life. Usually I carry a cheap knife I'll pick up somewhere until it falls apart and then get another one. I would like to get something nicer that will last a while. Usually I will wear khakis or scrubs to work, depending on which job I'm at (I'm a registered nurse and a clinical informatics consultant). Any recommendations? Budget is under $150. Thanks in advance for any advice!

-----
    Please excuse any typos - sent from my mobile device using Tapatalk.

Stand up for your rights, people! Wake up!

2. wastelander

wastelander Bad English, bare with me

Brokor likes this.
  3. Pop_45

Pop_45 Monkey

I don't have the clothing restrictions you have, so what I carry may not work for you. But I carry a Buck 110 folder in a nylon carry case.
    I also carry a small three blade congress. Bought it at a flea market for $10 No brand name that I've seen, but takes and holds an edge well

4. ghrit

ghrit Bad company Administrator Founding Member

Check out the Hinderers. Link is on the front page before you log in. Pricy, but arguably worth it.

5. Motomom34

Motomom34 Monkey+++

I read a book called, The Twilight's Last Gleaming: On Your Own in America, Nathan L. Combs. There was a whole chapter plus on knives, more in-depth then I liked but if you like knives he had pretty well thought out suggestions as to what to get for what purpose.

6. Witch Doctor 01

Witch Doctor 01 Mojo Maker

Last edited by a moderator: Jan 25, 2015
    kellory likes this.
  7. kellory

kellory An unemployed Jester, is nobody's fool. Banned

Hip Pock-Its Utility Holster larger version
    These guys make good pouches. I am wearing one of their AA flashlight holsters, with sleeves for a spare pair of batteries.

Capt. Tyree likes this.
  8. Alpha Dog

Alpha Dog survival of the breed

CRKT knive are well made not over priced hold a good edge and they have multiple knives to choose from. With multiple options you can pick what fits your daily need. I have had the CRKT M-16 for over five years and still carry it everyday on duty and off.

I use to carry one of the first S&W tactical folding knives but when I went to replace it the S&W line has got cheap made over time

Capt. Tyree likes this.
  9. KAS

KAS Monkey+++

im in texas rite now and thses boys swear by case knives

10. ghrit

ghrit Bad company Administrator Founding Member

Just because. There is a local knifing that was done with a "military style" K-Bar. Get 'em while you can. (Mine dates from the Korean Police action.)

11. Yard Dart

Yard Dart Vigilant Monkey Moderator

12. kellory

kellory An unemployed Jester, is nobody's fool. Banned

1031-ec1bfd99cfa56dd1257325fcea3f59de. 1030-c3a412324785320d293e1b7269d78ef6. The sheath knife for hunting, the folder for EDC.;)

13. STANGF150

STANGF150 Knowledge Seeker

I carry a CRKT Hammond Cruiser. Got it at Flea Market guy sells knives. Liked it alot & when I learned it was discontinued I went back & bought 2 more. Sharpens nicely, holds a good edge, & was only $20-25 each.

14. Harriet01

Harriet01 Monkey

hi, i'm a new comer here too, when i see your thread, i came in here at once, coincidently, i worked as a industrial tools salesman for many years, maybe you will get some information from our website.

15. Yard Dart

Yard Dart Vigilant Monkey Moderator

Welcome to the Monkey @Harriet01 ... grab a branch and hang a while!!!!

16. Sapper John

Sapper John Analog Monkey in a Digital World

Welcome Harriet, enjoy your stay!

survivalmonkey SSL seal        survivalmonkey.com warrant canary
17282WuJHksJ9798f34razfKbPATqTq9E7