New to this Forum Question about small solar system

Discussion in 'Off Grid Living' started by Bill77, Jan 23, 2018.

1. Bill77

Bill77 Monkey

Its not a perfect location put im sure i have 5-6 hrs of sun close enough to my treehouse. I appreciate all the responses.

Asia-Off-Grid likes this.
  2. Bill77

Bill77 Monkey

The project you can't tell from the pic but there is 150ft clear area behind and a about same on right side. I'm on the top of a hill so hoping 5-6 hrs

Resized_20171203_163116.

techsar and Kamchuka like this.
  3. Kamchuka

Kamchuka Grease Monkey

really cool!

4. Bill77

Bill77 Monkey

Thanks I've been working on it all winter. I live in the city...woods and a small quite lake is awesome..i try to use the generator as little as possible

5. Thunder5Ranch

Thunder5Ranch Monkey+++

Morningstar is a lot of bang for the buck been using one for 10 years now with zero problems. The last thing you want to do is cook a bank of 310AH batteries because you went with a crap charge controller...... As it seem you and I both learned the hard way :)

6. techsar

techsar Monkey+++

This has been a very good, informational thread...but something that bill77 has not mentioned is the matter of system security. I'm not asking for a discussion on this aspect, but leaving a system unattended for extended periods in a remote area could result in it growing legs ;)
    Just something to consider if you haven't already.

BTW...Welcome aboard Bill77!

sec_monkey, Asia-Off-Grid and ghrit like this.
  7. TnAndy

TnAndy Senior Member Founding Member

11,000 watts total (11kw). 5,000 on a grid tie only basis (micro inverters) and 6,000 on a battery backup grid tie system. Went grid tie because TVA (power supplier) had a really good infeed rate initially for small systems.

Additionally, about 500w of stand alone used in various items around the farm....that chicken coop above, DC fan in greenhouse, various battery charging systems.

I plan too add another couple kw this year, along with a 5-8kw diesel genset for backup.

1. T. Riley
  2. TnAndy
  3. DKR
  4. Prepper12
  5. Yad Tsalach
  6. Gafarmboy
  7. TnAndy
  8. Sojourn
  9. Yard Dart
  10. jcsok
  11. Cruisin Sloth
  12. ED GEiN