New to us HF Radio for the New Place...

Discussion in 'Survival Communications' started by BTPost, Dec 9, 2018.

1. fedorthedog

fedorthedog Monkey+++

Bruce just got my General and am a ways to DX yet. Just got a yazue ft757gx. Do you have a turner and antenna recommendation?

and for when I am up is there a freq you monitor

2. BTPost

BTPost Stumpy Old Fart,Deadman Walking, Snow Monkey Moderator

I can be found ever weekday morning, on 14292.0 Mhz @ 9:15 Am Pacific Daylight time... That is the Alaska Pacific Emergency Preparedness Net.. lots of Alaska Stations as well as plenty of FlatLander Stations...
    All my tuners for most of my career were Roller Inductor Manual Tuners... They teac you how to load and trim any antenna you can conjure up... What I have here is an 80 Meter Wire Dipole cut for 3930.0 Khz, and I use the Manual Tuner to tune all the other HF and Marine Bands using just that Dipole up at 50 Ft.... That is on the KENWOOD TS-590S Main Radio... The Kenwood TS-2000x is my backup Radio and is connected to an Old 5BTV Trapped Vertical, that uses the cabin’s galvanized Steel roofing as the RF Ground Plane. It is tuned using the internal AutoTuner in the Radio, which is more than adequate for that job... It sits on 7225.0 Khz on 40 Meters... All the other MF/HF Frequencies that I use can be tuned with these two Antennas... I would suggest a Simple Wire Dipole cut for 80 Meters, and manual Roller Inductor Tuner... If the Bands are OPEN, that 100 Watts will get you around the world... If they are NOT open, even a 2Kw Signal will not punch thru.... and recently the Nands have been pretty CRAPPY... This is all at the Home base cabin... up at the Blue Cabin on the Mountain, I scored a Multiband Wire Dipole that is set up for 5 HF Band Operation with individual Legs for 10, 15, and 20 Meters, and another wire for 40 Meters and a trapped Loading Coil for 80 Meters... It is setup in an Inverted V configuration with apex at the top of the 40’ Pipe, and each of the two legs, tied to trees, at the 15 Ft level... It is tuned by the internal AutoTuner in the Kenwood TS-B2000 that is istalled up there... I have not yet had a chance to run this system, but it should be just fine....

techsar likes this.
  1. Qwertyportne
  2. DKR
  3. William Warren
  4. JA40
  5. Tully Mars
  6. sdr
  7. ED GEiN
  8. Southbound
  9. bumpshadow
  10. hitchcock4
  11. DKR