New VA motto

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by hot diggity, Mar 20, 2023.

1. hot diggity

hot diggity Monkey+++ Site Supporter+++

The previous motto was from Lincoln’s second inaugural address in 1865: “To care for him who shall have borne the battle and for his widow, and his orphan.”

The new motto will still be based on Lincoln’s words but instead reads: “To fulfill President Lincoln’s promise to care for those who have served in our nation’s military and for their families, caregivers, and survivors.”

The use of male-specific language in the original mission statement has long drawn criticism from veterans advocates who note that women veterans are the fastest growing cohort of the community, expected to make up one in every five living veterans in America by 2040.

VA leaders said the decision was made after interviews with more than 30,000 veterans over the last two years. According to those surveys, the change was supported by the majority of every age group, racial group and gender group.

They noted that the motto change not only includes a wider scope of veterans, but also better emphasizes the role of veterans’ family in their care and benefits.

I thought it was perfectly clear the way it was, but I prefer the 1611 English translation of the Bible too.

SB21, Dunerunner and CraftyMofo like this.
  2. Dunerunner

Dunerunner Brewery Monkey Moderator

Is nothing sacred anymore.....

3M-TA3, SB21 and hot diggity like this.
  3. natshare

natshare Monkey+++

Not a big deal, imho, either way. They could have just as easily changed him and his to their, and wife to spouse. I certainly wouldn't consider the original words as sacred. It's just a different world than it was, 150 years ago.

SB21, Cruisin Sloth and hot diggity like this.
  4. Bandit99

Bandit99 Monkey+++ Site Supporter+

I am so THRILLED that they have spent countless hours and countless dollars to change a few words that will result with ZERO difference............ Grrr..... Make me King for one damn day and I will show REAL results in 24 hours and charge you nothing.

5. johnbb

johnbb Monkey+++

The man hours oops person hours spent on this and the money spent when they should be treating vets ---just more government bull shit in order to appease a hand full of people who have nothing better to complain about

Bandit99, SB21 and hot diggity like this.
  6. SB21

SB21 Monkey+++

They didn't ask my opinion ...
    Ya see ,, this is how we lose our history , our rights , they keep twisting the words just a little ,, and over time ,, the whole meaning will fit their whole anti American agenda .
    Instead of changing the words of our most famous citizens and country's leaders ,, why don't they do something worthwhile for their country ,, and come up with their own original statement .

7. 3M-TA3

3M-TA3 Cold Wet Monkey

The Fedgov is chock full of people whose job it is to constantly force name and motto changes in everything. If they could only focus on fulfilling the mission of their agency... well, that's a freaking unicorn dream. My slice of the pie gets renamed about once a year, as do the customers I serve. AFAIK they just randomly spin a freaking wheel. The only thing that surprises me about the VA motto is that it doesn't address LGBTQWXYZ or Drag Queen library story reading therapy.

8. hot diggity

hot diggity Monkey+++ Site Supporter+++

Don't give them any ideas.

Bandit99, CraftyMofo and SB21 like this.
survivalmonkey SSL seal        survivalmonkey.com warrant canary
17282WuJHksJ9798f34razfKbPATqTq9E7