Newbie from California

Discussion in 'Off Grid Living' started by rosegardener, May 22, 2015.

1. rosegardener

rosegardener Monkey

This retired newbie is intrigued by off-the-grid living. This is my thoughts so far:
    1. I would like it in a temperate area, no snow and plenty of sun all year around.
    2. Either close to a natural source of water like river or lake; or allowed to tap into aquifer; or have direct access to sea water; (there'r small scale desalt for home).
    3. To be close to medium sized or large city.
    4. Somewhat affordable land.
    5. Objective is to live in relative comfort with indoor climate control (AC) powered by solar, and well pump also powered by solar. A house about 1800ft2 with all modern electric conveniences, also powered by solar.
    6. Also to grow vegetable aquaponically, and fruits (Citrus + grape) with well water.
    7. Perhaps some chicken for eggs.
    8. Happy to buy and store grain, nuts, oil, etc., So perhaps not totally off-the-grid.
    Being an Californian, this is what I have come up so far:
    1. Somewhere in SoCal low desert, near Palm Springs. Plenty of sun, 10 acres for $100k or so. Guess I need like 2 acres?
    2. If I could spend $50k for land, $50k for solar, then $150k or so for the home, by California standard, it's "cheap".
    3. Water may be the tricky one, plenty of aquifer in Coachelia Valley, even hot springs. But heavily regulated.
    Quite sure that I have missed quite a few things. Thoughts?

Tully Mars and Motomom34 like this.
  2. melbo

melbo Hunter Gatherer Administrator Founding Member

Welcome. We have quite a few off grid monkeys that may be able to help you.

3. Pineknot

Pineknot Concrete Monkey

You could relocate and get way more for your money, just sayin

Tully Mars and Mountainman like this.
  4. Motomom34

Motomom34 Monkey+++

Hello @rosegardener nice that you joined. I like your post.
    I am glad that you posted this. Those are questions I have been asking myself also. Where are the best areas for someone who is leaning towards off grid or homesteading. Sounds like you do not want to leave CA. So is the water crisis in CA as bad as we hear on the news? I also agree with @Pineknot relocation would be more for your money.

5. Pineknot

Pineknot Concrete Monkey

Down in the south you can find some nice property for around 3000 an acre for unimproved property. I would sell my 33 acre farm, in a minute for what they get in Cali, I could really get off grid

Motomom34 likes this.
  6. rosegardener

rosegardener Monkey

Relocating is possible, any suggestions? What i like :
    1. temperate climate,
    2. plenty of sun all tear around for solar,
    3. access free or almost free water and be close to to city.
    4. Let's also rule out all area with known natural hazards (lol, except earthquake).
    5. In short, no snow country, no tornado or hurricane ...
    6. and still hopefully close to a large metropolitan.
    7. I don't like places with high humidity also.
    I am open to suggestions, picking SoCal desert, because Los Angeles International Airport is less than 2 hours away, getaway to any people place in the world. And yes, cost hurts in Calif.

Last edited: May 23, 2015
    Motomom34 likes this.
  7. Dunerunner

Dunerunner Brewery Monkey Moderator

Welcome to the forum rosegardener. Personally, due to population and water issues in SoCal, I would not consider it for your intended purpose. As for close to a major metropolitan area, meh!! I'm guessing you are wanting to stretch your retirement dollar, so think about capturing rain water in a cistern, putting solar on the home you currently live in, adding insulation to reduce your air conditioning needs, and just being energy wise. That saves 150K in building a home somewhere in the desert and purchasing land.

Motomom34, Tully Mars and Ganado like this.
  8. Ganado

Ganado Monkey+++

Someone deleted my original post on this. 1st welcome.... natural hazards? California is earthquake capital =) everywhere has hazards it's just preps are different depending on where you go.

A couple of suggestions if you want stay desert ish .... you get more for your dollar in Nevada and Arizona or New Mexico.

AZ and NV have a low percentage of privately held land so you have to look a little longer .

I personally am not a fan of California because they are about to be hit with fines fees and injunctions for over drawing their Colorado River water allotment. It's could get ugly. ... just my 2 cents

Motomom34 likes this.
  9. rosegardener

rosegardener Monkey

@Ganado, all true and thanks for responding. I can due with fines, fees, etc. Close to the ocean and LAX, ie getaway to the rest of the world has its allure too. Just sayin'

Sedona area in AZ is nice, not sure about water, but suspect lacking all year around sun? Not sure though.

10. ghrit

ghrit Bad company Administrator Founding Member

Rosie -
    Make sure you have the pros and cons balanced out. Looks to me like you have some mutually exclusive criteria. More study and planning?

Tully Mars likes this.
  11. kellory

kellory An unemployed Jester, is nobody's fool. Banned

12. Mountainman

Mountainman Großes Mitglied Site Supporter+++

One warning about some of the SW areas that are being suggested. DO NOT LIVE NEAR AN INDIAN RESERVATION!!! I lived near one for 4 years and had to leave before I had my own small war with them. Being near one is like having post SHTF zombies around all the time. If you need more of an explanation on this PM me.

Motomom34 and Tully Mars like this.
  13. gundog10

gundog10 Monkey++

I lived in Kalifornia for 24 years and have finally escaped. But, I would recommend you take a look at the Victorville, Apple Valley, Hesperia, Phelan (especially Phelan) area for what you are looking for I believe this area will get you the best bang for the buck.

14. Motomom34

Motomom34 Monkey+++

If you want dry then Sedona is amazing but it is very expensive. Sedona is near Flagstaff which gets snow so I don't think water would be as scarce as it is in CA. I heard Kingman AZ is mild but really haven't studied the area.

15. Motomom34

Motomom34 Monkey+++

Chicago is #8 on that list. LOL! You may not get killed from fire, flood or tornado but it is a challenge to get thru the weekend without getting shot.

16. kellory

kellory An unemployed Jester, is nobody's fool. Banned

Um....that list is for NATURAL disasters.....:rolleyes:

Ganado likes this.
  17. Motomom34

Motomom34 Monkey+++

Yeah, I know. I was being slightly sarcastic. You may be semi safe from a natural disaster but the violence is huge.
    Year To Date
    Shot & Killed: 127
    Shot & Wounded: 766
    Total Shot: 893
    Total Homicides: 149
    2015 Stats | Chicago Murder, Crime & Mayhem | HeyJackass!

Yard Dart, Sapper John and Brokor like this.
  18. Brokor

Brokor Live Free or Cry Moderator Site Supporter+++ Founding Member

I have nothing good to say about California. It's on my list of countries to never visit, right along side North Korea.
    I would stay clear of large population centers at all costs.
    Find a location where you have your own well and plenty of water, very low regulatory intrusion, and you can know the police by name.
    Also look for land nearby federal game lands and large swaths of country to give you that sweet meat on the hoof buffer come WROL.
    As for off grid living, we have lots of folks around here doing that who can chime in.

Best of luck.

Yard Dart likes this.
  19. Gopherman

Gopherman Sometimes I Wish I Could Go Back to Sleep

Alabama, Georgia, the Carolina's, Florida not so much, all of these places have long growing seasons, lots of water and lots of woods to get lost in if you have to. Oregon is Awesome and there are millions of square acres of forest. It certainly doesn't meet your Heat requirement but Bend and some other areas are quite warm for most of the year.
    Millions of starving people will be looking for food soon and the farther you get away from the bulk of them the better off you'll be!!
    Oh Yeah, Welcome to the site!(y)

survivalmonkey SSL seal        survivalmonkey.com warrant canary
17282WuJHksJ9798f34razfKbPATqTq9E7